It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kidnappers Promise Death in 72 Hours for Female Reporter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Kidnappers in Iraq today said the U.S. has 72 hours to release female Iraqi prisoners, or their hostage will be executed. Abducted was, Jill Carroll, 28. She is a freelance reporter for the publication "Christian Science Monitor". She was abducted at gunpoint on January 7th. Her translator was murdered during the ambush.

cnn.netscape .cnn.com
Al-Jazeera would not tell The Associated Press how it received the tape, but the station issued its own statement calling for Carroll's release. An Al-Jazeera producer said no militant group's name was attached to the message that was sent to the station with the silent tape on Tuesday.

The State Department responded to the videotape with a statement that U.S. officials were doing everything possible to win Carroll's freedom.

"We continue to make every effort we can, working with Iraqis and others, to see Miss Carroll is returned safe and sound," spokesman Sean McCormack said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its good to see that Al-Jazeera has also called for her release. I hope more Muslims will begin to see these kidnappings as ineffective and cowardly. Bring your fight to the enemy. Not innocent women and civilians who are there trying to help.

Related News Links:
www.time.com
msnbc.msn.com

[edit on 1-18-2006 by Valhall]

[edit on 25-1-2006 by asala]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
just a bump, since it was about 5 am when this was posted.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The video of her that was released had the audio cut out; it was silent. But you could clearly see her lips moving as she spoke.

Have any lip readers determined what she was saying?

I wonder if the background noise would have been enough to give away her location, and thus was cut off.

Just wondering,
Toby Keith fan

[edit on 18-1-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
well coincidence or not? news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Have any lip readers determined what she was saying?

"Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed are thou amoungst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.... "

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 04:27 AM
link   
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) has issued a statement demanding the immediate release of Jill Carroll, pointing out that her kidnapping will not change American policies.

Muslim Americans Seek Reporter's Release

An American Muslim advocacy group is traveling to the Middle East to plead for the safe return of a journalist facing death at the hands of her kidnappers.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations is planning to hold one news conference Thursday in Amman, Jordan, and another Friday in Baghdad. The group hopes to reach Arab television audiences and convince the captors of Jill Carroll.

The terrorists have demanded U.S. authorities release all detained Iraqi women or else they would kill the freelance reporter. The U.S. military said eight Iraqi women are in military detention. Meanwhile, Iraq has asked U.S. authorities to release six of the eight Iraqi females in military custody.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I can't seem to find this video - anyone have a link?

Was she really praying the Hail Mary or was that just a joke?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Well, she seems composed if not frustrated, but I don't think she was praying. Would be interesting if some lipreaders could take a look at it and give us some feedback.

Thanks for the link Rikwa.

It is encouraging that the groups that need to speak out against this seem to be actually doing so, it's been a long time coming.

[edit on 1/20/2006 by Relentless]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Kidnapped U.S. journalist Jill Carroll has appeared in a new video on Al-Jazeera. The video had no sound, but Al-Jazeera said the poor girl - wearing a veil and weeping - appealed for the release of women Iraqi prisoners.

CNN: Jill Carroll asks for the release of female Iraqi prisoners, according to Al-Jazeera, which aired the video.

[edit on 30-1-2006 by Riwka]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Is the U.S. not releasing the prisoners because of pride or because they simply don't care for Jill Carroll?

I think we should be taking all measures to try to secure the release of Carroll.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The US isn't releasing the prisoners because

1. The US has NEVER negotiated or given into demands like this.
2. They aren't US prisoners to release, they're Iraqi prisoners. Iraq released 6 of the 8 women that were being held already.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
she is my freind's 2nd cousin

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Is the U.S. not releasing the prisoners because of pride or because they simply don't care for Jill Carroll?

I think we should be taking all measures to try to secure the release of Carroll.

If the U.S does anything close to giving into these demands, We wont see, One or two incidents like this every now and then, we will see it daily..

All we can do is hope these guys are posers and wont follow through with the threat...

Or our guys find her and get her out.

[edit on 30-1-2006 by C0le]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo

There were nine female prisoners in Iraq, five have already been released, and the other four may be released soon...

The five women released last week were among 424 detainees released "as a result of detailed screening," said Maj. Gen. Rick Lynch, a U.S. military spokesman.

The release of the female detainees was "part of our normal process, and not as a result of demands by terrorists and criminals," Lynch reiterated. "We don't negotiate with terrorists and criminals."

Bosho Ibrahim Ali, a deputy justice minister, told CNN last week the remaining four female prisoners might be released with another group at another time. Ali said he had started his effort to free the female detainees for humanitarian reasons before Carroll's abduction.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   

DON'T YOU DARE EVEN GO THERE. DON'T YOU DO IT ALL.

It has nothing to do with "pride", or because of the US "not caring for her". Thinking with that bleeding heart of yours only gets (more) people killed in situations like this. Just like cole said... we don't give into terrorist demands... we never have, and we never will. Giving into their demands only encourages them to do it again, and again. It's a sad, sad thing that we can't, or haven't been able to go out there and rescue this girl yet... but I can assure you that somewhere out there, right now at this very moment, there's a guy on a US government payroll, in front of a computer screen trying his damndest to get inside intel on the situation (Ie. Who, What, and Where...).

Lets say you have a rare, and expensive glass vase. A child holds this particular vase over his head, and mid-tantrum screams that he's going to smash the vase on the ground unless you give into his demands... for this example lets say he wants cookies before dinner.

Do you give him the cookies? Thus encouraging him to do it again, next time he wants something...

If you have any bit of sanity... you'd say no. You'd take the vase from him, and punish him. Why would you say yes to terrorist then? Why would you give into their demands? Doing so only encourages them to take hostages again, the next time they have demands...

We can't give into their demands "just this once"... because just once, is once to much. It's a sick, and it's sad, but it's the best way to handle it. No one ever said life was gonna be nice, and peachy. I hope this girl gets saved just as much as you do... and if she can't be saved I'm not going to go around thinking it's because we didn't care, or because we had to much pride. I come from a family who has a long, and proud military tradition that runs through all 5 branches of the United States Military... the military... and the government are big big machines... the "caring" doesn't show so easily on the outside... but it's there. Even more apparent on the inside... it's rough, and it's crude but it's there. They do what they can... we do what we can... that's all I can say.

[edit on 1/30/06 by microcosm]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
There is a big change in her appearence since the last video.

Strange that from the capture of this latest video it seems as though her hands are bound and appears as if they are hiding her neck.
Maybe they have already cut her neck? She appears drawn and ill.

If you believe in prayer then please pray for Jill.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Not trying to sound sarcastic or anything here, but the original story was posted on the 17th, and said she had 72 hours to live. It's now the night of the 30th and a new video has been posted. I'm glad to know she's still alive, but is it just me, or can't the insurgents tell time?

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
In all complete fairness and equality, I say that if the Terrorists kill Jill Carroll then the Iraqi Government should immediately put the remaining female prisoners to death. In the thinking of the middle eastern societies it would be just and honorable.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lanotom
There is a big change in her appearence since the last video.

Strange that from the capture of this latest video it seems as though her hands are bound and appears as if they are hiding her neck.
Maybe they have already cut her neck? She appears drawn and ill.

I don't see why they would have cut her already, plus her veil is light colored, and there isn't any blood visible. I think she probably appears ill because she's been under a little bit of stress since she was captured, the first video was probably taken fairly quickly after her kidnapping, and they may have told her they would let her go. Who knows how she's been treated, she most likely wishes she was home, and she probably thinks her head will soon be cut off. I've been pretty stressed before, but I couldn't begin to imagine what she's going through. I very much hope she's released.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join