It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MARSOC activates. Marine Special Operations Command

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 03:16 AM
link   
The Marines have landed....once again. This time with the first ever, newly formed Marine Special Operations Command that falls directly under the U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM). An opening ceremony was held Feb.24, 2006 at Camp Lejeune NC.

USMC.mil
Since USSOCOM’s creation in 1987, the Marine Corps has been an outside factor in helping it accomplish these missions.

Now having their own Special Forces component, Marines will directly support current SOF missions and begin new missions with different purposes.

The key tasks of MARSOC will be: direct action, special reconnaissance, foreign internal defense, counterterrorism, information operations, and unconventional warfare.

MARSOC will still have a long ways to go before they reach the same standards as the Army, Navy and Airforce Special Operation Commands. Starting out MARSOC has three main components, The Foreign Military Training Unit (FMTU), The Marine Special Operations Support Group (MSOG) and two Marine Special Operations Battalions (MSOB).

In May 2006 Marine special operations companies will be established and will deploy along with Marine expeditionary units (Special Operations Capable). Deploying with MEUs will give MARSOC an even wider scope and range of support that no other service currently has.

USMC.mil
Elements of different units, including 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade (Anti-Terrorism), will transition into needed areas of MARSOC to give it a stronger foundation in its early years.

The Current Marine Detachment one, a pilot program under the command of Naval Special Warfare Squadron One will soon be inegrated into MARSOC.

I think this is a great idea. The Marine Corps has always had the capability and training to function as a special operations/SF unit (and have on many occassions) but due to military politics in the 80's that role was never taken on by Marines. Ever since 9/11 the Marine Corps has been tayloring it's forces to fight the War on Terrorism. The reactivation of the 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade (MEB) was only the first of many changes made to the Corps followed by standup of Marine Detachment one and the Foreign Military Training Unit.

This will definately change the way that special operations are conducted and give a much needed break to the other services special ops units.

Thoughts and concerns? Do you see this as a positive for the Special Operations Community? Why or Why not?

Later
Sporty

Other MARSOC links
MARSOC - About.com
MARSOC - GlobalSecurity.org
MARSOC - Wikipedia (good read)

[edit on 26/2/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
It's about time. Finally, some good news regarding the Marines. I just hope that these new units don't get stuck with the Osprey!

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Don't you start knocking the Osprey, that is a fine aircraft. It had some problems at the start, but now it is proving itself to be very excellent.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WheelsRCool
Don't you start knocking the Osprey, that is a fine aircraft. It had some problems at the start, but now it is proving itself to be very excellent.

It's a great concept, but the Osprey has turned out to be quite a turkey so far.

www.time.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
A_Widows_Son, your article is dated Jan. 23, 2001....alot has changed since then with the Osprey.

Later
Sporty

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
A_Widows_Son, your article is dated Jan. 23, 2001....alot has changed since then with the Osprey.

Later
Sporty

Let's hope so. They have just announced that the Marines will officially deploy an operational unit within the year. I honestly hope that all of the bugs have been worked out of the systems. The Marines deserve to have the best equipment, and it will really suck if things don't turn out that way with the Osprey.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Better the Osprey than the POS CH-53s they're stuck with now.
They currently have a 1:44 flight time to maintenance ratio with the CH-53.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I think it will be great for JSOC to acquire this Marine contingent and will bring a stronger and more cohesive effort to the war on terror. With General Pace now CJCS, I would think the Marines will now have the role at JSOC they have had all along elsewhere - out front, in the lead, showing the way, on point.

I posted a story to ATSNN on this several months ago, and I heard this past week they had gone operational. The comment I made above then shows my bias toward the USMC, and further comments in the article justify it.

WAR: Marine Special Operations Command joins JSOC

new topics

top topics

join