It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

china's great "firewall"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
i thought this was rather interesting......
www.rfa.org...

www.2space.net...

so basically if u type in anything in a seach engine such as yahoo or google ,that the chinese goverment labels "inappropiate", like the word "Democracy" or "Tiananmen Square" you will get no results , then the goverment tracks you and get thrown in jail.

talk about some serious censorship.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
yes, ive heard about this a while back, its suppose to be a deal between yahoo,google,microsoft and the chinese government so the three major companies can make a lot of cash from China because China doesnt have internet (sorry if im wrong about china not haveing internet i dont know much about china).

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   

because China doesnt have internet (sorry if im wrong about china not haveing internet i dont know much about china).

China does have the internet, it's crappy and unreliable.

Google english is accessable in China and is the same as in the states, but many of the sites that come up in the search don't work....blocked by the Chinese government. But I'm sure this will all change for the worse when the new "deal" is put into action.

On a good note, no problems with ATS

[edit on 22/2/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Well its clear the Chinese goverment has nothing to hide froms its people

Whats really sad is that companies like Yahoo have already given the Chinese goverment information on its Chinese users that have put people in Jail for trying to learn about anything the Goverment doesnt spoon feed them.

link

Scary when you think China is the likely next global Super power. Man the US might not look so bad when China can project power like the US.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 04:41 AM
link   
then the goverment tracks you and get thrown in jail?

look, i'm living in mainland china, anytime, when i'm stuck on any forbidden topic, i type thses sensitive words in google, baidu, or anyother search engin, mostly it returns an error page to me, but i've never been thrown in any jail thing, and i've never heard it happend to anybody even once in my real life (not web/tv/newspaper, or other's mouth)

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I was waiting for one of you Chinease folks to speak up here. I was going to say how preposterous this was, but I figured the couple Chinease people I met on here would chime in eventually. Where are the other guys?

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
I was going to say how preposterous this was

You think its preposterous that china censors the internet from its own people? Well its a fact no matter how preposterous you think it is.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
No, I mean the fact that they jail you for trying to view certain stuff. I am sure you know how many people there are in China right? They arent cave people. They have computers, and microwaves, and McDonalds. Do you think the gov't even has the capacity to track, arrest, and jail everyone trying to view info the "Man" deems questionable?

I know a few Chinease personally, and I speak with them in great depths about Chinease culture, so I find it rather disgusting when people try to demonize them when, in truth, they know very little truths about the place. But dont take offense...its not our fault that we know squat. All I recommend is that we all try to befriend someone from China, and learn first hand what being Chinease is really like.

We could all use a little culture.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Just want to help you correct your ignorance:

Currectly China has 120 million internet users and at the end of this year(2006), the number of China's broadband users will exceed U.S and becomes No.1 in the world

Atcually I don't like the people who talk about sth while knowing nothing about it.

As for the censored google/yahoo, that is another story. But there are many proxies in western countries so Chinese can still visit any website if they really want to do that.

Originally posted by noobius0ne
yes, ive heard about this a while back, its suppose to be a deal between yahoo,google,microsoft and the chinese government so the three major companies can make a lot of cash from China because China doesnt have internet (sorry if im wrong about china not haveing internet i dont know much about china).

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   

No, I mean the fact that they jail you for trying to view certain stuff.

No the man in question Shi Tao I linked too was jailed with help of Yahoo for sending foreign-based websites the text of an internal Communist Party message.

Reporters Without Borders said 49 dissidents and 32 journalists are currently jailed in China on charges that stem from Internet articles and online criticism of Chinese authorities.

www.infoworld.com...

If you post info they dont like it seems you can indeed go to jail.

When it comes to who I am going to believe China which clearly censors information from its own people or R.W.B. Im going to have to go with Reporters without borders a international non-governmental organization.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
China does have the internet, it's crappy and unreliable.

What is your definition of "crappy" and "unreliable"?
If you are talking about internet speed and reliablity, in my experience
China's internet is better than Canada and U.S
I can get 1,200k/s download speed(BitTorrent) using DSL in China. Never get this number in north america. China's internet was built during the last 10 years and it uses the most advanced technology of internet/broadband.

No, I mean the fact that they jail you for trying to view certain stuff. I am sure you know how many people there are in China right? They arent cave people. They have computers, and microwaves, and McDonalds. Do you think the gov't even has the capacity to track, arrest, and jail everyone trying to view info the "Man" deems questionable?

I know a few Chinease personally, and I speak with them in great depths about Chinease culture, so I find it rather disgusting when people try to demonize them when, in truth, they know very little truths about the place. But dont take offense...its not our fault that we know squat. All I recommend is that we all try to befriend someone from China, and learn first hand what being Chinease is really like.

We could all use a little culture.

By current law in China, you won't be jailed if you simply view some stuff.
But you maybe jailed if you distributed such stuff in the internet.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
"Sending foreign-based websites the text of an internal Communist Party message" and simply viewing "questionable" websites are two different things here fellas.

I thought you were saying that if you tried to view things "they" dont like they will kick in your door and take you to jail. This is the only thing I am refuting, not your article...calm down.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I didnt mean that simply viewing information could land you in jail but spreading such information to others in China or outside it can very well it seem to do just that.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Same here bro...its the same here...

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I heard the big problem with that monster is that mispelling a word will bring results.

So like instead of typing Democracy, you typed Democrasy, you'd get the pages you were looking for....

-DT

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Here's a Link to a CNN article about it....

Google's Chinese censorship efforts tank

-DT

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tmd7456
then the goverment tracks you and get thrown in jail?

look, i'm living in mainland china, anytime, when i'm stuck on any forbidden topic, i type thses sensitive words in google, baidu, or anyother search engin, mostly it returns an error page to me, but i've never been thrown in any jail thing, and i've never heard it happend to anybody even once in my real life (not web/tv/newspaper, or other's mouth)

i understand but i read article about this in school and it talked about an indivisual who was thrown in jail because he hosted a site that help find missing people . if i could remeber what site the article was from id post it

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   

What is your definition of "crappy" and "unreliable"?

- Not being able to get to many sites that I enjoy.
- Not being able to go to a site that I just went to the other day.
- The phone lines have many problems (for those with dial up).
- Slow internet in the evening cause everyone that got off work is trying surf the web.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big_BIRD
i understand but i read article about this in school and it talked about an indivisual who was thrown in jail because he hosted a site that help find missing people . if i could remeber what site the article was from id post it

article, always article. if i tell you, an article on north korea's newspaper says thousands of people starved in NY every year. you might get a little tip to your own one.
I know how the most of you western people look upon chinese, just the exact way we did to you three hundred years before, "poor people live in a poor land, everything happend is pathetic and ridiculous...." what will it be three hundred after? try your imagination

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Last time i checked, China didn't have enough prisons to house 120 million internet users that typed up and search for Democracy or Tien An Men Square Event in Google; I live in Hong Kong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join