It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there Masonic influences in sorority rituals?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
After looking at several sorority crests and badges, I'm seeing a relationship between their symbols and masonic symbols. Does anyone know of any connections? Do sororities use masonic symbols, too?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
US copied Rome copied Greece.

Are you facinated that the next generation of something is copying the first and foremost of that something (in this case fraternal//sororal organizations copying Freemasonry, the first such organization).

My opinion is that it is like toilet-paper; you can only make so many alterations to it, but regardless of who made it or when it was made it is still obvious it is toilet paper (to anyone familar with such a thing).

The Freemasons did it first (as a secular group) and thus anyone who does it again is going to have some similarity regardless of their intent to copy them or not.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
makes sense

do you know anything about any particular sororities? if not that's okay. if you do, could you send me a U2U. yes, this is fascinating

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Well... Not being in a sorority....

But I do know that the sorority ZTA was founded/assisted in foundation/ritual written... by a KA-Order brother by the name of Plummer Jones (I am sure about his first name but can't quite remember his last name... I think it's Jones).

Plummer was a Mason following his graduation, and coupled with his knowledge of KA-Order ritual (which like most Greek Letter Fraternities) was written by a Mason, if he had a hand in ZTA's ritual, then I am sure it bears a resemblance.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Can women be Masons? Did you mean to say "fraternity"?

Just asking 'cause I was a little confused.

Peace

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Dr. Love,
When sororities were first created, they called themselves "fraternities".

1. Kappa Alpha Theta considers itself the "first fraternity for women".

2. Pi Beta Phi called itself "I.C. Sororsis" before becoming Pi Beta Phi.

3. Gamma Phi Beta was the first greek letter organization for women that called itself a "sorority".

4. Many national sororities still refer to themselves as fraternities or "fraternities for women".

I believe that women can affiliate with the Masons through Job's Daughters, Order of the Eastern Star, and Rainbow Girls. However, I looked into OES and the website said you have to have a family member in the Masons.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Are there Masonic influences in sorority rituals?

Hmm. How many masonic rituals involve pillow fights in your underwear?

'Cuz thats what sororities do, right?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Sadly pillow fights don't happen as often as I'd like them to. Though I've had some interesting times in sorority houses.

Anyway, most fraternity ritual has some association with Masonry and most Sorority ritual has some association with Fraternity ritual (ie, most sororities had help from fraternity men when setting up their ritual). So yeah, sorority ritual probably has some relationship to Masonic ritual.

My fraternity’s ritual (Beta Theta Pi) has some connections to Masonic ritual in its themes and we set up one of rituals rather similar to the set up of a Masonic lodge, though the connection is there, its not all that substantive. My best bet is that Sorority ritual will have a vague, perhaps even hard to spot, connection to Masonry.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I have read a couple of sorority rituals, many of which were very powerful and moving...there are definitly many ties to secracy with skulls and bones, and ever burning lamps speaking of ever lasting friendship and truth...I guess everything in the rituals is subjective if you really want to tie it into masonry...

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I think most fraternities base their rituals in part on Masonic tradition. Some incorporate Shakespeare ("Double double toil and trouble......." I laughed the first time I read that). Many incorporate bible stories/proberbs, but considering the era the bulk were founded in that is unsuprising.

new topics

top topics

join