It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Makes Tragic Error With Latest Laden Tape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Appearing on CBS Evening News the day the tape surfaced, January 19, Scheuer told anchor Bob Schieffer that "it would be foolish not to take this very seriously as a threat to the United States." He discussed the Islamic custom of offering one's enemies an out before attacking them, and made reference to bin Laden's long-standing wish to obtain a nuclear weapon, and to the still-unsecured stockpile of nukes in the former Soviet Union. "It sounds pretty scary, what you're saying here," Schieffer offered near the end of the two-minute segment. "This is not a threat that should be defined as criminals, gangsters, and deviants," Scheuer replied. "These are very serious people, they are our deadly enemies, and they are extraordinarily talented. We can worry about Saddam and we can worry about the Iranians," Scheuer answered, "but the only people capable of attacking us inside the United States in the world today is al Qaeda."

Scheuer's sense of alarm was soon forgotten, swallowed up by the official line about the bin Laden tape, which also became the conventional media wisdom: As ex-FBI terrorism hand Christopher Whitcomb put it to a different CBS anchor the next morning, "I don't think there's very much significance in this tape at all. And the reason is, we've seen so many of these in the past four-and-a-half years. Osama bin Laden is trying to show the world he's still relevant. I think he's not still relevant, and I think he is trying just to say, 'I'm out here, look at me.'"

After reading this link, you may not agree with the idea the threat was empty.

citypages.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Wow you get a
from me for this one.

After reading that I totaly agree with what you say: Bin Ladens ready to lay the slap down on this one. Its scary to think that Clinton let this man slip his grasp when he was offered on a aplate to the US administration...

A fine article, and a very informative one.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo
Wow you get a
from me for this one.

After reading that I totaly agree with what you say: Bin Ladens ready to lay the slap down on this one. Its scary to think that Clinton let this man slip his grasp when he was offered on a aplate to the US administration...

A fine article, and a very informative one.

Clinton had the same shortcoming common to his party, short term vision. nothing planned out or thought out. Dont get me wrong, I do like that he decreased the deficit, even if it was artificially done with money from millitary cutbacks to social security. But even after the Cole was attacked....he sat with his thumb up his *you know what*.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I still can not believe that Bush bomb the heck out of Afghanistan and Afghanistan people and let Bin-laden slip right in from of his eyes.

What a shame that many lives has been lost and Bin-laden is still a no show.

Bush even invaded and occupied Iraq and Bin-Laden still not show.

As long as Cinton is blame we can all sleep easier at night.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
it might be timely to mention, now, that the FIRST famous, 'bin laden confesses' cave-video, WAS NOT OSAMA BIN LADEN.

and 'trial saddam' is not, 'real saddam'.

truth by repetition is no truth at all.

You have voted marg6043 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
it might be timely to mention, now, that the FIRST famous, 'bin laden confesses' cave-video, WAS NOT OSAMA BIN LADEN.

Actually your are right about this, is many thing about Bin-Laden and the events right after 9/11 that has gone into oblivion since the the war on terror came to birth with the Bush administration.

The news media and repetition is a powerful tool of mind imprinting when it's use for the purpose to misguiding the population for the sole purpose of hidden agendas.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychomike

"This is not a threat that should be defined as criminals, gangsters, and deviants," Scheuer replied.
"These are very serious people, they are our deadly enemies

citypages.com...

i'm in concert with your view & outlook Psychomike

here's another view of AQ+OBL..."Bin Laden's New Threat"
www.onlinecolumnist.com...

but i would offer up this piece found within
(www.fas.org/irp/news/1994/afghan_war_veterans.html)
titled "Arab Veterans of Afghanistan War Lead New Islamic Holy War"
...if the Intel & think-tanks knew of this Mujahedin & Afghan Rebel movement to strike back at the 'West', which plotted to purge & liquidate them after serving the CIAs need for anti-soviet manpower & expertise...
then the Intel & think-tank manipulators are fully aware that their 'War-on-Terrorism" is the propaganda war for public consumption...& the deeper, Idological War (the one that the Ayatollah embraced) is the Jihad war.

afraid that the 6 page report(@ www.fas.org) can't be linked, you'll have to access their archives

new topics

top topics

join