It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming Is Nonexistent.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
It is extremely well documented that global warming is nothing more than a scientific fad. This may sound completely bogus to most of you and to the rest of the world, global warming is a well documented phenomenon isn’t it? WRONG! The exact opposite is true; we have little understanding of our atmosphere and what we do know shows that the temperature is not climbing. Glaciers aren’t melting and we aren’t all about to drown from rising seas. I believed in global warming too, why not? It’s taught in schools as the biggest threat to our earth. Here I must deny ignorance; recently I read the book State of Fear by Michael Crichton. The story itself is fiction, but the main idea of the book is that global warming in itself is a conspiracy. Containing hundreds of real facts, the book proves again and again that global warming is just a fad of the ignorant. Below is link to a lecture given by Michael Crichton about false science such as global warming. I found this one night after I had an argument with my global cultures teacher about global warming and I wanted to have some proof to show him the next day that my argument was correct.

www.crichton-official.com...

[edit on 11-2-2006 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I think global warming is quite real but what isnt proven is that its caused by man. The earth has a well documented history of warming and cooling long before humans were even around.

The earths climate changes whether we are here or not. Even if we didnt pump green house gas one into the air we are going to have another Ice age followed by global warming.

Earth is doomed in the long run anyway. Our sun "Sol" is going to get hotter about 10 percent in a billion years, growing about 10 percent hotter each consecutive billion years . Which will rendering Earth an inhospitable greenhouse no matter what we do. The oceans will come to a slow boil and evaporate all life on earth will end up dead.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I guess you are correct in the fact that the earth does warm and cool naturally. But this is over long periods of time, and the point I’m trying to get across is that we don’t cause global warming and it is not going to suddenly kill us all, it is a slow phenomenon, that we shouldn’t worry about because we have no control over it and it isn’t going to affect us any time soon. You were absolutely correct in what you said.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
yea and the glacers arent mealting at miles a year eather . news.bbc.co.uk... www.livescience.com...
Quote ( The Sjogren glacier mealted EIGHT MILES from 1993 untill now.)
Keep your head under the water long enough you will drowned .
even if you belive the water isent real.
Ps almost EVER glacier servayed has retreated and picked up seed in there retreat in the last ten years.
But your right the earth is NOt getting warmer .

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by hak3r_13
I guess you are correct in the fact that the earth does warm and cool naturally. But this is over long periods of time,

Well its true Ice Ages tend to start with a gradual cooling for many centuries but Ice Ages have ended very rapidly because of rather quick global warming. This rapid change in weather at the end of the last major ice age is likely what killed off all those species about 10000 years ago they could not cope fast enough.

There have been some abrupt and wild climate swings

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Nature balances itself.

January was an unusually warm month. February could turn out to be a colder than usual month. Balance.

Global Warming is a myth.

Fear = $'s especially in the science community.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
How can humans NOT be contributing to global warming at least a little bit?

To think we are not at all is absurd. We create billions of metric tons of greenhouse gases which are proven to create a heating effect. We burn billions of tons of fuel daily which release's heat. We ourselves release heat. The bombs we drop release heat. etc.. etc.. etc..

All of that is heat that wouldnt exist without a large population of humans. To think we do not help unbalance this world is absurd.

Can we do anything about it? I dont know.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Unless you believe in chaos theory, we probably have little affect on our atmosphere, think of it like pointing a whole bunch of laser pointers at the moon and then saying "the photons are pushing the moon away from the earth" It's just not anough to have a real affect on our enviroment. The fact that we and our machines create heat does cuase warming, but only in a localized area. It's called the "urban heat island” effect I think.

[edit on 12-2-2006 by hak3r_13]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Most heat radiates out, and continues to till all energy is dissapated, this goes a long way past what we can feel or even efficently track.

With us continually adding heat that would otherwise not exist we are affecting the atmosphere and the rest of the planet in return. ALL actions have effects and those effects have effects of their own forever.

The island effect you talk of is where the noticeable effects stop, not where the effects stop.

Actually I beleive chaos theory is a cop-out. Its a convient theory that fills in the blanks and saves us from having to prove most of what we consider fact (at least at quantum level) wrong.
--------------------------
edit..

I do concede that the effects on the overall global scale from us are small. They probably will not become obvious for several hundred years more even.

The problem is we have no idea how far we can push the scales before something falls off. Some say a degree or two average, others say tens of degrees. In the end its something even the most experienced of experts hardly agree on, even if they are on the same side.

So yes we are sure we affect it, but we arent sure to what degree. We also arent sure if the warming itself will cause any major issue's directly. We still cant predict rain much less something of this magnitude, and subtelty(sp?).

[edit on 13-2-2006 by Xerrog]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Now that most scientists agree human activity is causing Earth to warm, the central debate has shifted to whether climate change is progressing so rapidly that, within decades, humans may be helpless to slow or reverse the trend. Wapost

Denial won't change skyrocketing food prices, wide spread drought, or melting polar ice. Denial won't allow you to look in the mirror and see the addict for who he is either.

Censoring Truth
The Bush administration long ago secured a special place in history for the audacity with which it manipulates science to suit its political ends. But it set a new standard of cynicism when it allowed NASA's leading authority on global warming to be mugged by a 24-year-old presidential appointee who, quite apart from having no training on that issue, had inflated his résumé.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Current Warming Period Is Longest in 1,200 Years, Study Says
It's not normal, a new study says of the current global warming period.

Researchers analyzed tree rings, ice cores, fossils, and other "proxy climate records" and found that the present warming phase has lasted longer and affected a broader area than any other such period in the last 1,200 years.

This brain phenom could explain the state of denial and lack of foresight.

Mind Rewind: Brains Run in Reverse
When faced with a new learning task, our brains replay events in reverse, much like a video on rewind, a new study suggests.

Denial won't allow you to adapt either.

I didn't do it. Make it go away!

Darwin says law of the jungle wins again.

external image
Depopulation will fix global warming, so maybe it's best to stay in denial and become fertilizer.

OR you can drop the defeatism, passivism, denial and get educated.
Stop the Gag on Global Warming -The Nation

[edit on 13-2-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
if global warming is a fraud, why is the atlantic ocean getting warmer ?

think about it, thats a lot of water. The surface currents may change, which may even alter europes weather in less than 25 years.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I think global warming cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. The same way our vanishing ozone layer can't.

Scientists have not been able to track these kinds of things long enough to be able say for a fact that they are dissapearing or happening because the technology has not been available long enough to track it. These kinds of things take hundreds of years of test to give proper conclusions.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Inanna
I think global warming cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. The same way our vanishing ozone layer can't.....

Funny they can predict the weather days ahead, climate months in advance, make a nuclear bombs, fly to the moon, land probes on meteors and it's all based on scientific projections.

As for fact based study, go look up antarctic ice core samples and tell me how many years the history goes back.

It's doesn't take an Einstein to measure the CO2 amounts in Antarctic ice core samples and compare them to the present and note the atmosphere has been dramatically altered since man's rise in the industrial age.

Scientist rebuts global warming skeptics

No ostrich excuses....It's called responsibility and the time is now.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Everyone has thier own opinion, Regenmacher.

Here is a link to some discussion on Global Warming. There are people on both sides discussing the same thing.

www.washingtonmonthly.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Inanna
Everyone has thier own opinion, Regenmacher.

Here is a link to some discussion on Global Warming. There are people on both sides discussing the same thing.

www.washingtonmonthly.com...

Bzzt wrong answer: Opinions do not predict the weather or it would hail in your living room based on what I think.

Here's a good one from your link though:

Top 5 George W. Bush Solutions For Global Warming...

5. NASA mission to turn down the sun's thermostat
4. Federal subsidies to boost production of Cl Ranch Doritos
3. I dunno---tax cuts for the rich?
2. Give the boys at Halliburton 90-billion dollar contract to patch hole in ozone
1. Invade Antarctica

Stick with measured factual data backed by scientific laws.

The risk/reward aspect of what agrees with your ego has little to do with it, unless your trying to become a global warming martyr. I suspect there will be a lot of competition in the victims of climate change arena as ariable land dries up or floods out, so I doubt there will be a bonus prize in heaven.

Now if you actually want to read from a science literate forum rather than a political dog pile of joe blows, go here: Bad Astronomy and Universe Today Forum

"Just the facts ma'am"~Joe Friday

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Global Warming is a misnomer, Global Warming Induced Climate Change is a much more accurate description of what is happening.

It doesn't mean that the entire world will warm up in unision, it just means that the warming trend that is measurable will cause climatic disruption which we are already feeling(Warm winter in North America and Cold winter in Europe which is Theorized to be cause by a disruption in the Gulf Stream).

People point out the Little Ice Age as "proof" that it's just a natural cycle, my question to those do we have data of what happened in North America during that time as Europe is a very very small section of the globe donchaknow.

Here are the facts.

The Globe is Warming up on average.

The Gulf Stream is weakening due to a influx of fresh water from melting ice.

CO2 is building up in the atmosphere as is Methane from industrial Cow Farming. Methane may be worse then CO2 but it only stays in the atmosphere for around 3 months, anyone have any data about how long CO2 stays up there?

The Amazon's capability as a carbon sink is being rapidly depleted, yes I know it only acounts for a small amount of the total carbon sinks on the planet but even a .1 % decrease may cause disruptions to cascade throughout the entire planet.

Regardless of all these facts there are other problems with our Combustion based society that include Nox emissions, O3 emissions, unburnt hydrocarbons and many other toxic emissions(toxic to us, plants and animals) inceases in these emissions will lead to an increase in Asthma(i am a victem of that), Cancer, Crop productivity reductions(Ozone does this, if all we were releasing was CO2 crops would be loving it)

I could go on and on, but I don't want to spend too much time on this post as it will most likely get shot down as a "baseless opinion"

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Sorry I can't post often, I'm busy after school with track, homework, and such . . . . Anyways, please keep the politics out of this, unless you have undeniable proof that the politicians are swaying the the facts. And when you do your research, go straight to the source, the scientists paper on the subject. Try to stay away from government websites and the websites enviromentalist organizations. Those sites are where the fuzzy math happens that makes all this very difficult to agree about. If at all possible read State of Fear, I have looked into the facts in the book and have not found one of the sources false. All of it is from real research. This all I can post for now, this weekend I hope to have time for some research so I can have a nice long post with links to undeniable facts. Thanks for the input.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by hak3r_13
Anyways, please keep the politics out of this, unless you have undeniable proof that the politicians are swaying the the facts. And when you do your research, go straight to the source, the scientists paper on the subject.

Considering your ideas are based on a fictional thriller book and linking to a article that is three years old by the same fiction writer with data that has proven irrelevant or false, you are far from exibiting undeniable proof here or even plausibility. DC comics would be proof that Superman is real by that grasp of logic.

Michael Crichton's State of Fear:
They Don't Call It Science Fiction for Nothing

Bad Science, Bad Fiction
In Michael Crichton's work, the two are intimately connected.

Politics are a major part of it. The US administration has swayed, skewed and lied about the facts and this is common knowledge. Start reading the links instead of skimming over stuff, just because it didn't stroke your ego. I suggest you follow your own advice by setting an example and start posting your fact filled data and links.

Revealed: how oil giant influenced Bush -guardian
In briefing papers given before meetings to the US under-secretary of state, Paula Dobriansky, between 2001 and 2004, the administration is found thanking Exxon executives for the company's "active involvement" in helping to determine climate change policy, and also seeking its advice on what climate change policies the company might find acceptable.

Bush Aide Softened Greenhouse Gas Links to Global Warming -nytimes
A White House official who once led the oil industry's fight against limits on greenhouse gases has repeatedly edited government climate reports in ways that play down links between such emissions and global warming, according to internal documents.

Climate Expert Says NASA Tried to Silence Him -nytimes
The top climate scientist at NASA says the Bush administration has tried to stop him from speaking out since he gave a lecture last month calling for prompt reductions in emissions of greenhouse gases linked to global warming.

The consenus of the most brilliant minds on the planet do not base their decisions while being fuzzy about math.

A consensus emerges around global warming
-msnbc

Undeniable Global Warming -wapost

Numerous resources:

Global Warming & Climate Change - Directory of Online Resources

Google scholar on Global Warming

The cause of all fear is self-grasping ignorance, and all the delusions, such as selfishness, attachment and anger, arise from that ignorance, as well as all the unskillful actions motivated by those delusions.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Hears an endorsement for you.

Bush's Chat With Novelist Alarms Environmentalists
February 19, 2006

Mr. Crichton, whose views in "State of Fear" helped him win the American Association of Petroleum Geologists' annual journalism award this month, has been a leading doubter of global warming and last September appeared before a Senate committee to argue that the supporting science was mixed, at best.

"This shows the president is more interested in science fiction than science," Frank O'Donnell, president of Clean Air Watch, said after learning of the White House meeting. Mr. O'Donnell's group monitors environmental policy.

"This administration has put no limit on global warming pollution and has consistently rebuffed any suggestion to do so," he said.

Apparently Bush loves sci-fi if it makes his policies sound sane.

Beam him up Scotty!

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
those who can not think blame others in blind rage of stupidaty.

global warming is real but it isnt new it has hapend thousands of times before some even more dramatic then the curent warming trend.

the eath is warming b/c we are coming off of a iceage. this is evadent by the mass extinction event curently takign place.

to all you who opose this i emplore you to show me your evadnence in respect to the WHOLE history of climate of earth (that means the scale will b in millions or hundreds of millions of years). ide love to chat with anyone about this.

its good to see that there are actualy people taht can think fort hemselves and not jsut blaber the same things MSN and CNN say about it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join