It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

first American gets the concept of sarcasm.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
SAN FRANCISCO MAN BECOMES FIRST AMERICAN TO GRASP SIGNIFICANCE OF SARCASM
Chuck Fullmer, 38, yesterday became the first American to get to grips with the concept of sarcasm. "It was weird" Fullmer said. "I was in London and like, talking to this guy and it was raining and he pulled a face and said, "Great weather eh?" and I thought - "Wait a minute, no way is it great weather". Fullmer then realised that the other man's 'mistake' was in fact deliberate. Fullmer, who is 39 next month and married with two children, aged 8 and 3, plans to use sarcasm himself in future. "I'm, like, using it all the time" he said. "Last weekend I was grilling steaks and I burned them and I said "Hey, great weather."

Way hey!

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
LOL...!!!

uh,, I don't get it. What do burnt steaks have to do with the weather?

It's true my friend. I have been subjected to many a blank stare.
I like to talk to people. Only about 1 in 10 people I deal with throughout the week, get my dry sense of humor.
I just consider it a missed opportunity for them..LOL

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Sarcasm heh? Never heard of it.
I'm so glad I'm posting on ATS tonight... Instead of... You know... Being on a date or something.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Hey Waynos I laughed so much I let out a bit of wee...!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Is sarcasm like being silly but not silly?

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Not really, or are you being sarcastic?

Anyone who wants to see the masters of sarcasm in action should watch 'Have I Got News For You'.

It cracks me up. no, really it does.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
HOLY CRAP!!!!

Next thing you'll be telling me they might get irony...

... It could never be?

..Could it?

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Not really, or are you being sarcastic?

No, I really mean it!!

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Oh right! sorry.

Its more like deliberately saying something that is obviously incorrect I suppose, like in the first post.

Or you might say to someone 'you're an intelligent chap aren't you' when they have just said or done something that marks them out as thick as a plank.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by kegs

HOLY CRAP!!!!

Next thing you'll be telling me they might get irony...

This is irony:

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
SAN FRANCISCO MAN BECOMES FIRST AMERICAN TO GRASP SIGNIFICANCE OF SARCASM

Hey! Wait a minute here! Are you making fun of my nationality? That's so NOT politically correct! *sets fire to ISP* *starts riots in several countries* *demands apologies for hurting American's feelings* *demands the hands/execution of the author*

Next thing you know you'll be drawing pictures of Americans with bombs on their heads.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Man am I glad I found this thread. I never would have known that was irony.

I always thought THIS was irony:

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
That reminds me of the stupidest joke ever to make me laugh;

Whats Brown and sticky?

A stick.

geddit? 'sticky' as in 'stick-like' The silliness of it made me giggle like a girl.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   

NEIL: Hi there. Are you the doctor?

[Damage head butts him. Neil falls backward into a nail, staggers, holding his butt in pain.]

Oooh! Ahhhh! Ooooooh!! [Neil breathes in deeply] Hey, I think that's done the trick! Thanks, Doc.

DAMAGE: Thanks, Doc?! Are you being sar-carstic or something, my son? That's one of my least favorite things, that happens to be. Sar-carsm.

DAMAGE: I was walking a dog, and this bloke, he comes to me and says, "Nice day, innit?" But it wasn't. It wasn't a nice day. It was a little bit cloudy. Which makes him very sar-carstic. So acting as if nothing would happen, I took his head, right, put it in me mouth, right, acting dead casual-like, clamped me teeth, and BIT HIS HEAD OFF!! Cause I hate people being sar-carstic.

NEIL: I wasn't, you know, being sar-castic.

DAMAGE: Weren't ya? Well, forget everything I just said then, all right?

[edit on 10-2-2006 by ridcully]

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I agree Waynos, most American men cant get their women to sarcasm...Wait, I think I misundertood the question...nevermind...

new topics

top topics

join