It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

District Relents, Allows Boy To Wear Skirt To School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Challenging authority, or just being a problem child for the skae of it?

Read entire story here ---> www.channel3000.com...

HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, N.J. -- New Jersey high school senior Michael Coviello will get to wear skirts to school, as long as they are an acceptable length.

Michael, 17, started wearing skirts as a protest against the Hasbrouck Heights School District dress code. The district's dress code bans shorts between Oct. 1 and April 15, but allows skirts, a policy Coviello believes is discriminatory.

- One Man Short

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I fail to see the real issue here and am quite surprised to see that it required the intervention of the ACLU. If the boy wants to wear a skirt to school, I say have at it! For what it's worth, I've seen far more questionable "attire" and "styles" in the local schools.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
hey if the kid is comfortable with it, and decently dressed he should be able to wear a skirt if he wants. Designers have made skirts for men, not kilts, for years. I would rather see a boy in a decent skirt than the way the kids walk around with their underwear showing and their pants around their knees.
But I'm not wearing the clothes so its not my choice.

We had a guy named Nellie in our town. His mom had all boys 12 or so, she decided Nellie got the girl's clothing since he was her last baby. He was quite comfortable riding his bike around town and worked on the railroad, often nailing spikes and other duties like that. His skirts never got in the way and he was comfortable with the way he dressed. Being the youngest of 12 boys and growing up around 1900 dressed as a girl you can bet he was tough! Spit tobacco with the best of 'em.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
if a man chooses to wear a skirt, he should be allowed to wear a skirt

if a woman decides to wear pants it's okay, so why can't men where skirts?

i've actually worn a skirt (well, kilt, close enough) to a formal event at an all girls school, and was almost turned away by a nun...

so i support the right to choose (clothing)

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Although he may now wear skirts to school, I bet that isn't the outcome he wanted. Looks like the school won (or called his bluff... whatever...), because you still can't wear shorts to school between Oct. 1 and April 15.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Whether the outcome was exactly what he wanted or not, I'm thrilled to see this outcome! It taught the boy that if something is out of sorts, you can challenge it and sometimes win. The previous code was sexist.

Good on ya, kid!

new topics

top topics

join