It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Translation Error gets CNN banned in Iran

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   

They got caught this time - but what about all the times, they presented the translations of so-called Terror Threat Tapes; how can we know that they REALLY Translated whatever was said on them?

If CNN does it - so do the Other News Networks.

And its pretty Easy, for not alot of people really speak arabic in Western World, so nobody really knows what the hell are they Talking!

Perfect Set for some good old Dissinformation Techniques to be applied.

And in that case what should we do Souljah?

Why don't we go ask Al Zawahiri to perform his next speech in English too?

Oh by the way Souljah... now that you mention it, I'd like to appoint you as team leader to find out IF IN FACT the Arabic media is accurately translating all of the US government's statements from English to Arabic because you know... if one's doing it they're all doing it?

Some logic...

How do I know that the reason so many people in Arab nations hate Bush isn't because their media is translating "Good morning everyone" to "We want to kill you"?

You shouldn't start sliding down slopes that you can't stop on.

EDIT to add quote tags.

[edit on 1-18-2006 by Djarums]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
Why don't we go ask Al Zawahiri to perform his next speech in English too?

First of all, I do not BUY any of the Al-CIAda - Abu-MOSSAD-Al-Zarwqawi - Al-Zawahiri bedtime stories. All those Letters and Videos are out, but how do we know if they are AUTHENTIC.

For it was Proved many times, that these are FAKED.

So, why should be Belive ANY of these Videos in the First Place?

Oh by the way Souljah... now that you mention it, I'd like to appoint you as team leader to find out IF IN FACT the Arabic media is accurately translating all of the US government's statements from English to Arabic because you know... if one's doing it they're all doing it?

Isn't it kind of IRONIC, that at the Speech about Nuclear Technology, the Iranian President's words are Translated in a Way that quickly Labels him? Those is a Very Important Words to be Wrongly Translated!

Let me tell you a story about a Prisoner, who was waiting for the Court order, and it was typed with a LITTLE grammar mistake?

The Real Court Order was: Free Him, Not Execute Him.

But the guy put the comma in the Wrong Place, so the received message sounded:

Free Him Not, Execute Him!

One Tiny Little Error and it costed this Guys Life.

And with Millions of People at stake here, that kind of Wrong Translation could cause Wars.

You can't Afford such Errors.

How do I know that the reason so many people in Arab nations hate Bush isn't because their media is translating "Good morning everyone" to "We want to kill you"?

Could be - you never know.

But Iranian Propaganda Machine is NOTHING Compared to the American.

They stand no Chance to the Corporate Media Conglomerate who OWNZ this War of Information - for this is the New Warfare, were the new weapon of mass destruction is INFORMATION.

[edit on 18/1/06 by Souljah]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Well...

I'd reckon a lot more Muslim's speack English, than Non-Muslim's, Speak farsi/Arabic or the many other tongues of the region...the problem is, they all bend and change words. So far I've not found any farsi translations for the word "wipe"...CNN should really know better though, especailly in times such as these.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
First of all, I do not BUY any of the Al-CIAda - Abu-MOSSAD-Al-Zarwqawi - Al-Zawahiri bedtime stories. All those Letters and Videos are out, but how do we know if they are AUTHENTIC.

You have got to be kidding... First off you are referencing something from a website that incites and wants the reunification of Texas and southern U.S. states with Mexico by any means, including violence.... a site that has it's own agenda for claiming anything and everything about the U.S. which is BS..... Aztlan is the name that the owners of that site, and other Mexicans who believe the same thing, want to give to the lower states of the U.S. once they are part of Mexico.

Second of all, Al Qaeda members themselves have said that the different cells don't know what each other do, so when one cell is captured, they can't give any detailed info on what another cell might be doing.

You don't buy the Al Qaeda link?.... well, sorry to tell you that most, if not all countries in the world do say that Al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations working with these terrorists exist.

Your "gut feelings" always turn up to be rethoric against the U.S. and to try to show that these terrorists and their ilk are good freedom fighters instead of the terrorists they really are, so your "gut feelings" don't mean squat.

Second, what CIA agent is going to kill themselves by detonating a bomb, when for example, Al Qaeda members were surrounded by police officers of Spain and when these terrorist saw they were surrounded and had no way to escape, the Islamic radicals yelled Allah Akbar and detonated a bomb killing themselves and Spaniard police officers. So, you trying to sell out that Al Qaeda members are CIA operatives is a joke, and one which those members who know the facts, know these claims are nothing more than red herrings to put blame and bash at the U.S. everytime you get a chance.

That's just one example of how wrong you are Souljah, and really, you trying to change facts, among some other people, just so you can blame and bash at the U.S. is getting old.

For it was Proved many times, that these are FAKED.

It has not....

What do you think that posting some BS stories from a site that claims that the southern states of the U.S. should be lands of Mexico and be called Aztlan, and from another "nobodyknowsit" site posting more BS stories, is going to prove?....

BTW Souljah, U.S. intelligence is not so bad that they would inadvertently put "fake videos of fake bodies being decapitated with the same clothes and chairs as detainees in Guantanamo"..... You just want to believe anything that bashes and blames the U.S. no matter how stupid it sounds.

So, why should be Belive ANY of these Videos in the First Place?

I'll anwser that with another question.

Why should we believe differently than you are nothing more than an Al Qaeda agent, disguissing as a "revolutionary who thinks all terrorists are freedom fighters" trying to disuade people from the truth?

Isn't it kind of IRONIC, that at the Speech about Nuclear Technology, the Iranian President's words are Translated in a Way that quickly Labels him? Those is a Very Important Words to be Wrongly Translated!

First of, you are talking about CNN, from which rethoric against the Bush administration is constant and whose editors have proclaimed that they were inspired by one of your "revolutionary buddies" castro.... So you trying to portray CNN as a "corporate media owned by the U.S. government" is laughable to say the least.

Let me tell you a story about a Prisoner, who was waiting for the Court order, and it was typed with a LITTLE grammar mistake?

What does this has anything relevant to contribute to this thread?

And with Millions of People at stake here, that kind of Wrong Translation could cause Wars.

If Iran goes "nuclear against millions of people because of an interpretation error" it will prove two things.... Iran had nuclear weapons, and the regime of Iran is nuts...

You can't Afford such Errors.

People are "human" thus bound to make mistakes.

But Iranian Propaganda Machine is NOTHING Compared to the American.

Riiight...and you know this how exactly?.... unless you work for the regime of Iran i doubt you know that for certain, or it could simply be more of your rethoric against the U.S.

They stand no Chance to the Corporate Media Conglomerate who OWNZ this War of Information - for this is the New Warfare, were the new weapon of mass destruction is INFORMATION.
[edit on 18/1/06 by Souljah]

CNN owned by the U.S. government?..... You are addressing intelligent people in here Souljah, you can't sell this propaganda and think you can get away with it.... Wait, what am I thinking, you actually do think you can do this...

[edit on 18-1-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
This is not a translation error, it is an obvious propaganda war...

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vovan
This is not a translation error, it is an obvious propaganda war...

Riiight.....by a news channel that bashes and condems the U.S. administration every chance it gets?.....

Please, true propaganda comes from countries (insert names here) where there is no independent media, and all media that "spoke/speaks bad against the dictators"...i meant presidents in those countries were shut down and not allowed to come back to the air. That is propaganda, control of the media by the government/s not allowing news stations or newspapers in such countries to bash their own regimes. Do you see that happening in the U.S.?.... No.

[edit on 19-1-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   
CNN is now allowed back in Iran.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 01:35 AM
link   

CNN is now allowed back in Iran.

CNN owes me a personal debt of gratitude.
I guess the word "indefinitly" could have been mistranslated from " 2 days"

[edit on 19-1-2006 by spliff4020]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
For...?

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Well seeing what a major news source we have become, I am probably the story the Iranian leaders read that compelled them into feeling bad and allowing CNN to resume "accidently mis-qouting" them....

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
You don't buy the Al Qaeda link?.... well, sorry to tell you that most, if not all countries in the world do say that Al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations working with these terrorists exist.

I STRONGLY Suggest you see the Documentary Power of Nightmares.

Because I know you are very Intelligent Guy - you are just thinking in a wrong direction. For you ANYTHING that US does is Sacred and Holy and Justified and Democratic. That my Friend, is your Biggest Error.

Your "gut feelings" always turn up to be rethoric against the U.S. and to try to show that these terrorists and their ilk are good freedom fighters instead of the terrorists they really are, so your "gut feelings" don't mean squat.

Just like Yours DONT MEAN SQUAT to me....

Second, what CIA agent is going to kill themselves by detonating a bomb, when for example, Al Qaeda members were surrounded by police officers of Spain and when these terrorist saw they were surrounded and had no way to escape, the Islamic radicals yelled Allah Akbar and detonated a bomb killing themselves and Spaniard police officers. So, you trying to sell out that Al Qaeda members are CIA operatives is a joke, and one which those members who know the facts, know these claims are nothing more than red herrings to put blame and bash at the U.S. everytime you get a chance.

Don't think so Narrowmindedly - you can do Better!

It is all Apart of a BIG Disinformation Campaign, deisgned to Raise the Levels of FEAR among the Population, so that they TRUST and BELIVE their Goverments without any shadow of a Dount (like YOURSELF), and then they can get away with any Crime, Corruption or Conquest that they wish. It is a very well designed and very well oiled machine, and I know you can not Counter it, for you Love the NEWS Country you live in right, and if you showed a little Anti-Americanism, I am sure that your Country would be more then happy to send you back where you came from.

And there are MORE links to Al-Qaeda and CIA then to any other Terrorists or Intelligence Agency in the World. You just don't want to Accpet that, because it would break down your Perfect World of Good America versus the EVIL Terrorists, right?

Well I am sorry to Inform you, but I am going to Continue Breaking Down your Pefect World, as long as I can.

That's just one example of how wrong you are Souljah, and really, you trying to change facts, among some other people, just so you can blame and bash at the U.S. is getting old.

So is this the Point in Time when you start to Insult me, or will you do it next time?

BTW Souljah, U.S. intelligence is not so bad that they would inadvertently put "fake videos of fake bodies being decapitated with the same clothes and chairs as detainees in Guantanamo"..... You just want to believe anything that bashes and blames the U.S. no matter how stupid it sounds.

Belive me, US or any Other Intelligence is MUST WORSE then You and I would ever Imagine in our Minds. They would Torture You if they found you Suspecious and they would do the same to me, without any real problems or any feeling of REGERET whatsoever.

So Pretty, please, with sugar on top, spare me the speech, how US Intelligence is Great and Noble and all around Good Guys, helping this World, to be a Better Place!

Why should we believe differently than you are nothing more than an Al Qaeda agent, disguissing as a "revolutionary who thinks all terrorists are freedom fighters" trying to disuade people from the truth?

Well, you could be Nothing More then a CIA or NSA Agents, acting to be an Cuban Immigrant, spreading the Hatred towards the Castro Cuba and spreading the Pro-American Propaganda, telling us how Great and Awesome your new Country is.

First of, you are talking about CNN, from which rethoric against the Bush administration is constant and whose editors have proclaimed that they were inspired by one of your "revolutionary buddies" castro.... So you trying to portray CNN as a "corporate media owned by the U.S. government" is laughable to say the least.

So what if its CNN? I couldn't Care less for ANY Corporate Owned Media in the States - Liberal or Conservative, it is all the Same #! They all are CORPOATE, which makes them all Weak to one thing: MONEY. And for a Good Story, they will sell their own Mother. Just like the Fox News says: We MUST Give the Publice WHAT THEY WANTS. So that's what they are doing - giving them what they want, not what is GOING ON.

If you would step for a while out of your Anti-Communist, Anti-Terrorst Circle, which you and your buddies made, and come here to Europe, and see how Life is here, you would stop thinking like you are now.

Guarnateed.

What does this has anything relevant to contribute to this thread?

Well, if you did not UNDERSTAND the Relation between that story and this Thread, then I must have OVERestimated you.

Well, maybe you will Understand sometimes in the Future.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Translation errors always can happen - especially, if a language (like the arabic /farsi languages) is full of 'pictures' (phrases) , dialect terms etc.

Just think about the english /american phrases. How to translate "That blow my socks off!" ?

One can not translate these words by the same word in the other language - nobody would understand what is meant by this "picture".

Some words / phrases even are "untranslatable".

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riwka
Translation errors always can happen - especially, if a language (like the arabic /farsi languages) is full of 'pictures' (phrases) , dialect terms etc.

Yes, we all know that it is Hard to Translate EVERY single Word.

BUT, that is not the Case here - the Translator Missenterpreted few Very Important Words; it is a BIG Difference if you say,

We Will Pursue Nuclear MILITARY Technology

or

We Will Pursue Nuclear CIVILAN Techology.

OK, I know that it is hard to Translate Simulatinously, but you have to ask yourself one question: was this the FIRST time an Error such as this Occured, or was this the first time they got CAUGHT?

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   

BUT, that is not the Case here - the Translator Missenterpreted few Very Important Words

Yes, I know - but such things happen.

Israels hebrew sources also sometimes have been translated false in other languages. And we've asked us more one time, whether the foreign media did this accidently or intentional.

It is always good to check also official press releases (or media) of that special country (if avaliable in a languge one understands).

[edit on 19-1-2006 by Riwka]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Souljah that is what exatly i was thinking.
Is this just the first time they have been caught out, becasue it was so blatent?
I dont know pharsi myself, my girlfriend does though. She is on the board, i will get her to post on this thread. I want to know more about his previous quotes, that he has made. Get the pharsi and th english version and see if the media is twisting the translation to their liking.

I think their should be a investigation into media stations translations after a bomb-shell like this.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by wang
Souljah that is what exatly i was thinking.
Is this just the first time they have been caught out, becasue it was so blatent?
I dont know pharsi myself, my girlfriend does though. She is on the board, i will get her to post on this thread. I want to know more about his previous quotes, that he has made. Get the pharsi and th english version and see if the media is twisting the translation to their liking.

I think their should be a investigation into media stations translations after a bomb-shell like this.

Hey man! I am glad we Agree - Great Minds think Alike, huh?

Anyway, I am looking forward to your Girlfriends Translation, it should be Interesting to read that!

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by wang

?

In this special case, it was during a live translation of a press conference

The CNN journalists quoted Ahmadinejad as saying Iran has the right to have nuclear weapons - but he actually said Iran has the right to nuclear energy and technology.

BTW: Iran has been condemned not only at the U.N. for its statements against Israel.

So one can assume that not only those nations who are familiar to Ahmadinejads language understood very well what he said....

[edit on 19-1-2006 by Riwka]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I STRONGLY Suggest you see the Documentary Power of Nightmares.

I thought you were saying that media from the west is owned by the big government?.... What are you doing posting from a mayor news media channel?

Because I know you are very Intelligent Guy - you are just thinking in a wrong direction. For you ANYTHING that US does is Sacred and Holy and Justified and Democratic. That my Friend, is your Biggest Error.

No Souljah, I could be saying the same thing about you, and btw where have i claimed "everything the U.S. does is sacred and holy"? I have seen however you trying to claim that terrorist are "freedom fighters and fighting for good causes." I have seen you claim that murderers are "heroes of the common folk." If anyone has been feeding in disinformation it has been you and some other people who have not experienced what "your heroes" have done.

Just like Yours DONT MEAN SQUAT to me....

We can agree to disagree, but posting from sources that "want to unite the southern U.S. states with Mexico" is just showing that you would try to post "anything", even from a site that has obvious bias and an agenda, just so you can try to diss, bash and blame the U.S.

Don't think so Narrowmindedly - you can do Better!

It is not me that is thinking narrowmindedly, you seem to believe that the CIA is so stupid that they would make such a mistake, and i believe in the firts post in which this was discussed in this forum, that someone did prove that those robes the terrorists put on the hostages were different from the ones used in Guantanamo. The terrorists appeared to be trying to show to the world that in their eyes these hostages were just like the prisoners that were held in Abub Ghraib.

It is all Apart of a BIG Disinformation Campaign, deisgned to Raise the Levels of FEAR among the Population, so that they TRUST and BELIVE their Goverments without any shadow of a Dount (like YOURSELF), and then they can get away with any Crime, Corruption or Conquest that they wish.

Oh i see, so you are saying that only on this "all governments get together for this disinfo campaign" Socialist countries, Communist countries, Republics, Democratic governments, etc, etc They are all trying to lie so at the end they can pat each other in the back.....

It is a very well designed and very well oiled machine, and I know you can not Counter it, for you Love the NEWS Country you live in right, and if you showed a little Anti-Americanism, I am sure that your Country would be more then happy to send you back where you came from.

LOL, no they wouldn't send you back for being anti-American, there is enough anti-Americanism in the U.S., but they would send immigrants who commit crimes back to their countries, and they should send back those people that are trying to incite "violence" in the U.S.

You love your disinfo from your "revolutionary buddies" so that you can continue in your daily dissing of the U.S., Israel, and any country that agrees with them.

And there are MORE links to Al-Qaeda and CIA then to any other Terrorists or Intelligence Agency in the World. You just don't want to Accpet that, because it would break down your Perfect World of Good America versus the EVIL Terrorists, right?

Riiight Souljah, you mean the links from site such as Aztlan and others like them?....

The disinfo comes from those sites so they can sell their agendas to you, so people like yourself can believe anything they want just so you can add in the bashing, blaming and dissing at the U.S., Israel, and any other country that agrees with them for everything that happens in the world.

Well I am sorry to Inform you, but I am going to Continue Breaking Down your Pefect World, as long as I can.

I am sorry to inform you that i will continue to show the "evidence that you claim is the truth and nothing but the truth" is nothing more than agendas from "your revolutionary buddies."

Belive me, US or any Other Intelligence is MUST WORSE then You and I would ever Imagine in our Minds.

Riiight, and Souljah knows because Souljah is in the "intelligence business..."

So Pretty, please, with sugar on top, spare me the speech, how US Intelligence is Great and Noble and all around Good Guys, helping this World, to be a Better Place!

Actually i am not the one trying to post the agendas from sites and "revolutionaries" who are inciting anger and hatred so that their agendas can be fulfilled.

Well, you could be Nothing More then a CIA or NSA Agents, acting to be an Cuban Immigrant, spreading the Hatred towards the Castro Cuba and spreading the Pro-American Propaganda, telling us how Great and Awesome your new Country is.

For starters there is another Cuban/American in the forums who agrees with what i say and she is a liberal, and most Cubans living in the U.S. or Europe will tell you exactly the same thing.

Second I was trying to make a point, people can make any claims, but without proof those claims mean squat.

So what if its CNN? I couldn't Care less for ANY Corporate Owned Media in the States - Liberal or Conservative, it is all the Same #! They all are CORPOATE, which makes them all Weak to one thing: MONEY. And for a Good Story, they will sell their own Mother. Just like the Fox News says: We MUST Give the Publice WHAT THEY WANTS. So that's what they are doing - giving them what they want, not what is GOING ON.

Again you are trying to lump everyone that in one way or another disagrees with you so that you can try to sell your agenda.... How many times have i shown evidence from other countries that say exactly the same thing that the U.S. media says?.... All the time, you on the other hand try to further the agendas from sites like "Aztlan".....

If you would step for a while out of your Anti-Communist, Anti-Terrorst Circle, which you and your buddies made, and come here to Europe, and see how Life is here, you would stop thinking like you are now.

Guarnateed.

LOL, I was raised in Europe and most of my education is European. I lived in Europe since i was 7-8 years old until i was 17 years old. In fact half, or almost half, of my family is European. BTW, aren't immigrants in Europe inciting violence and committing violent acts en mass because they say that European countries are "opressing them"?....

Well, if you did not UNDERSTAND the Relation between that story and this Thread, then I must have OVERestimated you.

Well, maybe you will Understand sometimes in the Future.

Oh really? Let's see if i am understimating you.

Perhaps i should be relating the "chaos theory" of the butterfly that by flipping it's wings causes a chain reaction which destroys the Moon..... is that what you are trying to do Souljah?....

Anyone can try to use an analogy to "give more credence to their claims."

But what exactly did you even prove with "your analogy"? It was a mistake when they were translating the speech...it happens....it is not a "conspiracy to show how evil the president of Iran is."

How convinient that for people like yourself human mistakes "have to be conspiracies because there is no other explanation." I guess when it furthers your agenda you can claim "mistakes are part of the conspiracy."

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
I have seen you claim that murderers are "heroes of the common folk." If anyone has been feeding in disinformation it has been you and some other people who have not experienced what "your heroes" have done.

What about the United State's Marine's or Air Force? I see people praise the job they do, however they still kill innocent people - the term "collateral damage" is used instead.

In reality, if a terrorist or soldier attacks someone or somewhere, which results in the loss of innocent life those involved [family members] will be hard pressed to see the attackers side of things. This is why a "War on Terror" has to be waged in many ways, by the "sword" is just one of them - the one that should be hardly used.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

What about the United State's Marine's or Air Force? I see people praise the job they do, however they still kill innocent people - the term "collateral damage" is used instead.

Why is it that some members always try to blame the U.S. for such things?.... Have U.S. forces made mistakes and at times, some of the more violent Marines or other soldiers have caused unnecessary deaths?... yes, but it is the exception, not the rule. BTW, why didn't you talk about the "unarmed black civilians" that French forces fired upon at the Ivory coast?.....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join