It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Information About the AboveTopSecret.com Creative Commons Content Deed.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It would be nice to know when any of our posts are submitted, in case there's a followup and more questions over such things as witnessing certain events that coroborate other alleged witnesses.

I suppose UFO abductions aren't really covered due the possibility of repeat or similar scenarios or what's been referred to as screen memories.

Can you give any specifics on certain topics then?

A list from 1 to 5 or similar.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Okay, thank you. So I will assume then that all credit must be given to the source of images unless I wold create, alter, or take them myself.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I loooove Creative Commons. It's such a great idea and some of the things available through them are awesome.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Now the policy has been clarified, I shall release my genius work on Abovetopsecret. Brace yourself folks.

Jokes aside the terms are reasonable. On other sites, freely submitted materials becomes the possession of the site owner.

[edit on 073131p://pm3136 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I have a question. I found a lastFM account of mine with my podcasts on it- and- another member's podcasts on it... and... I don't think you should use our usernames- and put our podcasts on these sites because we might be wanting to use these usernames on other sites as well. Am I alone in thinking this?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
ATS.... Great to hear it!

You are doing a great job & the site is very interesting to say the least..... i think it is only right that whoever publishes something on this site should keep the rights to it... after all it is their work so kudos to you

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Here's a question that I haven't seen addressed yet.

Yes, I understand that ATS and I co-own my material that appears on ATS, and that ATS has an equal right to utilize my content as they see fit. This is perfectly acceptable to me, as I think ATS is doing me a service in exposing my work to a sizable target audience, and my content is going to receive exposure regardless of how ATS uses it, right.

I imagine that, should ATS choose to compile and publish a selection of posts, they would give attribution to the proper contributors, anyway.

However, let's say that I choose to compile and commercially publish a collection of my own stellar posts. Some of my best posts are replies to other members' original posts — and, for the sake of contextual clarity, let's say it was essential to quote or at least paraphrase the OP.

But upon whose toes am I stepping by quoting or paraphrasing another ATS member? Am I stepping on anybody's toes by paraphrasing?

I would think, since ATS owns or co-owns all content appearing on ATS, then I need only negotiate an agreement with ATS, NOT with the original poster whom I am quoting or paraphrasing. Right?

Ah!

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
I would think, since ATS owns or co-owns all content appearing on ATS, then I need only negotiate an agreement with ATS, NOT with the original poster whom I am quoting or paraphrasing. Right?

Correct.

And typically, when we've honored requests in the past, domain name, thread title, and ATS user name of the author(s) is all we'd require for print media.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
I have questions about this as well. I've written many short stories that have been widely published on the internet and in the real world as well. I've posted quite a few of those stories on ATS along with original stories that have appeared only on ATS.

Am I limiting my rights as far as my stories are concerned?

Wupy

The stories are yours. However, you have allowed/posted you stories as "published" on-line. If you decided to "re-publish" them later, you might have a problem.

If you want to publish in a sci-fi/fan magazine, they usually do not take re-prints (previously published works). They need your stories in their mag to sell. Why would someone buy and read your story when it's free online? This is why they do not take reprints.

If you want to put your stories in a collection and publish your own book, you might need to mention in the copyright page where the story first appeared in print. You OWN the rights. You sell your book. You pocket the money. None of the money would ever go to ATS. However, they could publish your thread and make their own money from your work.

Most reputable online sites and online mags will hold the copywriter for a year (that means after that, they would have to get your permission to republished and could not profit off you without your knowing.) Some, however, are open to allowing that to age off sooner, if you ask.

So, I would never post a fiction story here that I might want to publish somewhere else. But, it is okay to post stories for practice and to learn.

It might be best to create your own writing group and exchange stories via email. That way you get the feedback, and the story is not "published."

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
welp, no more songs going up here.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
welp, no more songs going up here.

Why do you say that?

(confused)

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Also, this info might be helpful to our ATS writers....

If you want to be a published writer, you need to learn these things.

We buy First English Language serial rights plus certain non-exclusive rights explained in our contract. We do not publish reprints

Guidlines for Asimovs Scifi mag

-All rights revert back to the Author after one year or more depending on the contract. We purchase exlusive P.O.D and world-wide electronic rights (CD, disk, audio, email, online, etc). We also retain the right to archive your poem/story up to five years and reprint your poem/story for a possible "Best of the Year Anthology." -We are no longer accepting reprints.

Another scifi mag online

And this site is a WONDERFUL writer's resource page that has a list of mags where you can publish www.duotrope.com...://" target="_blank" class="postlink">Source

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I don't know man, the whole power of attorney issue.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Frankly, I don't think I'd ever take a collection of my ATS posts and try to republish them, for a couple of reasons.

1) My ATS posts are written right off the top of my head and I let them go with very little editing. When I come back and read my posts several months (or years) later, after the passion has subsided, I see structural weaknesses and bad parallelism, etc. I do not "polish" my writing before I post — any competent editor would tear my posts to pieces and I'd end up completely rewriting it, anyway.

2) I use ATS primarily to "feel out" what the public wants. I can and do write on any subject, usually in column-length spurts, because that's my background. Column writing is good for building interest, expressing your stance on the issue, and inviting the reader to think it over, all in five or six paragraphs. Just POW put that in your brain and smoke it.

That's why I'll pick a subject, do a column on it, and shoot it out there — it takes me, like, 5 minutes to compose a column off the top of my head — just to see if anyone is interested. Much of the time, the things that I find fascinating leave other people cold, confused and bored. But every once in a while the audience will really resonate with something I've written.

That doesn't mean it's a good piece of writing. It just means I've found the pulse of the reading public. Which was my objective.

Once I get that resonance, I just start taking notes — This is what they like, this is what they want to hear, this is what they'll buy. With that information, I can go to work on a larger composition.

So, I'm using ATS more as a compass or a barometer or a Geiger counter for determining where I need to take my writing, but I'm not posting finished and polished work on ATS.

I mean, if you're a professional writer, you're not sharing anything with anybody. If you've got a serious commercial project going, you don't post it on a public forum... Your writing is your stock in trade, you don't give it away. My ultimate advice is: Write all the message board posts you want, sharpen your knives there, but don't give away the valuable stuff. And know how to distinguish between your valuable writing and your drivel.

Anyway, I'm glad that ATS has such a friendly and flexible ownership policy. I've wondered about those details for some time, but I think I've got them all straight in my mind.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I would've thought more people would post concerning this.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I don't know man, the whole power of attorney issue.

???

What are you referring to?

There is no such thing in this case. The "authorized agent" (which I believe you're referring to) aspect grants no "power" beyond enforcement of the creative commons deed via DMCA notifications.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Being my "agent", can you sue someone concerning my content without ever contacting me?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Personally, I'd rather see everything be public domain. Nobody owns anything posted here, and nobody can sell anything posted it.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Being my "agent", can you sue someone concerning my content without ever contacting me?

It would be difficult in cases not expressly covered by the DMCA... which typically provides clear language that would avoid a law suit.

If there were ever (never has been) a reason to sue someone regarding a for-profit miss-use of our member's content, we'd most-likely need their cooperation... and wouldn't move forward with out it.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I would've thought more people would post concerning this.

Well, keep in mind that only a fraction of the population is computer-literate, and many who are computer literate aren't necessarily writers — although you would think that people who pound on keyboards incessantly would be inclined toward writing, but they're not — I dare say that the majority of ATS members are not "writers," in the sense that they seriously contemplate copyright law. So the issue of copyright ownership interests only a small number of us out here.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 7/14/2009 by Doc Velocity]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join