It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Information About the AboveTopSecret.com Creative Commons Content Deed.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
Personally, I'd rather see everything be public domain.

Our method of implementing the Creative Commons deed is reasonably close. Almost any use is allowed, as long as there is appropriate attribution. And anyway, it's always good manners to attribute any content, even public domain, to the source/author.

In cases where we've found a need to issue official notices, we've always strived to make it clear we're not trying to remove our member's content from other venues, just ensuring proper attribution and credit.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
So the issue of copyright ownership interests only a small number of us out here.

And in the few cases where members have asked that posts or threads be removed to enable their ability to publish their efforts, we've complied.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity, is ATS required to inform the author if they use anything we submit in posts or otherwise? I don't have any problem with any of my stuff being used, if for some reason you actually want my posts, but if it ever happened, I'd like to see a u2u or email or something, if possible, just as a heads-up that this has been done. Even if it isn't legally necessary, it's probably still a nice gesture

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
Just out of curiosity, is ATS required to inform the author if they use anything we submit in posts or otherwise?

I don't think they're legally obliged to alert you to the use of their content.

Eh?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Essentially this is pretty standard.

They have to be able to do certain things that if not authorized or otherwise given notice can be legally questionable. Moving, sizing, citing or referencing and all the other things they allow US to do with others graphics we find here, like re-posting a picture from another thread for a new unrelated thread or post. They are making sure we all know what the implications are from posting rights controlled media.

If they publish for major market, they will notify the owner and offer credit or other compensation if appropriate. They and their legal are well aware I imagine of the implications of doing otherwise.

For those of you who do not understand or trust the safety of your copyrights it is best to not post any material until such time as you can understand the legal situation better and see the practical reality of a media business.

I'm a professional media producer and have seen real misuse and have dealt with it by myself or in some cases with a media lawyer or my union who are writing the new laws and have advocacy and work with national lawyers associations. www.gag.org

I've learned through many years of contracts and negotiations what you can and cannot do with rights controlled media.

Fears I see here are unfounded. They won't break your trust or the law any more than you would. If someone does violate such laws by deed or accident, then you just deal with it.

Conversely, If an ATS user violates your copyright ATS is not responsible because you, understanding the nature of the internet, and nature of current ignorance of the law for most people, have understood the risks and decided to post your works anyway.

They just want you to acknowledge this so they won't get bit unjustly.

I've posted my own copyrighted materials fully aware of the dangers. Also aware of the laws, but also trusting that everyone else knows those laws too. If it happens otherwise, I can deal with that too.

ZG

[edit on 7/14/2009 by ZeroGhost]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Yeah, basically the way I see it for myself is that I don't mind anyone reading my posts, I don't mind that they are under the Creative Commons, and it doesn't matter to me what really happens to them. It's just in my mind it is common courtesy to let the author know if the post is put into some other sort of media, like say Skeptic Overlord writes an ATS book and puts my posts in it. He's perfectly welcome to do this, and I don't even care if he doesn't pay me, but I think it's only fair that I would be informed.

This isn't meant to be any sort of criticism or anything, and I have no idea what the legal laws are or ATS policy regarding this. That's in fact the entire point of my posting on this thread; I'm just curious whether ATS would inform the original author in that situation.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I think that this move is very revolutionary for any forum. So if I wanted to, I could basically include message text inside my own website as long as the true source is indicated as being from the ATS site, and that the member name is not changed etc., and of course assuming it is cached and not scraped off your servers, that would not be nice, but I am thinking more for sites that focus on certain issues and concentrate many threads into one set from news stories to forums such as this.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   

reading my posts, I don't mind that they are under the Creative Commons, and it doesn't matter to me what really happens to them.

but I think it's only fair that I would be informed.

I think the point here is "FAR" and "WIDE" which assumes knowledge to the contrary, your posts will be used far and wide and unless that person is known to break the terms of the license, it will not be checked up on.

Conversely, knowing it is Creative Commons, you are also releasing ATS from any responsibility to protect your writings, or to do this for you since you have equal responsibility to enforce it, in a way, since ATS does not only own it, everyone does, including you.

So I think that this is a little much to ask of ATS. Now what I do is put some google alerts into my google mail, and it flags any of my videos from YouTube and my common name SoulOrb, and when a new search shows up, then it fires off an email to me, and I review what people are saying, and where my material is being used.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Oh my god...forgive me for not reading anything past the first post. I shall go back and read all with due diligence. I had no idea why my wife was beaming over getting banned from some other lesser site that I dont frequent anymore... But I read the thing there she wanted me too, Then I come here and see this.

I used to moderate juryroll before the owner shut it down. A past ex girlfriend of mine also moderated on both juryroll and GLP. So I have understanding of both the role of content controller and the inner workings of GLP.

If this site and that site were swimming pools GLP would be the sewer and this place would be a maintained spring fed aqua park.

Its all about standards.

ATS has standards and it makes us better for it. Like Simon Grey (It might of been Springer) said. ATS is not for everyone. We have certain standards we adhere too and some just do not feel obliged to accept certain standards.

Copyright policy is part of that standard. I have always understood the concept of you folks owning the space I post on here. That is a given anywhere really. If I post on any site and that sites controller decides to delete my post or edit it or do whatever with it, I understand that I posted on their bandwidth... Now If I feel mistreated I may never post there again.

I never felt so mistreated here as to sever my ties... But GLP burned me. and it burned me bad. Their is a host of taboo topics there most prominently the TRAVISTOCK issue.

I appreciate ATS. I post by the T&C here. I understand the copyright policy and I believe it to be superior to anyone elses...Its not every site that would delete its content for you. And its not every site tht will pay you to post.... As I understand it a good Breaking Alternative news story can still earn you 50 bucks. ...Although I admit to not knowing all the details of that... I am no journalist nor do I seek to make a dollar off any story I report.... If something major happens around me I feel should be shared By god I will.

Anyways, I have ranted long enough.

I just wanted to say to the LLC of ATS Good Job! Keep up the good work, and Thank you for your standards.

Titorite

[edit on 14-7-2009 by titorite]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Thanks for this clarification.

Actually, I didn't think I had any rights at all once my material was posted. It's good to know ATS is looking out for us to a certain extent.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Can you initiate binding agreements on my behalf?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
Can you initiate binding agreements on my behalf?

Of course not.

Why are you asking?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
I don't know man, the whole power of attorney issue.

I think I realized where you might be getting this idea... the misinformed malicious ramblings of someone who got childishly upset over receiving a DMCA notice because they weren't linking back to ATS content pasted into their site.

We recently submitted a DMCA notice, showing where our content was pasted into their site, and the site ownership obfuscated the link to our domain (their site users were attempting to do right by our members) into a vulgarity... thereby preventing proper attribution. We initially simply asked to have proper links back to our member's content, they refused and over-reacted to a stunningly immature degree... and see sent the DMCA asking for proper attribution. Rather than stop obfuscating the links, they chose to remove the content.

We send out between 10 and 15 notices a month, and in 99.9% of all cases, the site owners apologize and are happy to modify the content to follow our attribution request. There has been the small handful of 0.1% who loose their minds... unfortunate.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I'm watching from cover with interest.

I haven't been here in ages, and it's precisely because of this shared ownership of content.

Despite these clarifications, it's still as clear as mud.

How do I know If I upload a podcast, I wont hear my hard work on some BS advert ten years down the line, and not be entitled to a damn thing for it?

I don't.

Because you provide a place to host my thoughts, or my work, does not entitle you part ownership, in my eyes.

Which is why I haven't contributed anything in a long time, and this post aside, have no plans to.

(Also, I could have sworn this place used to be easier on the eye.)

All the best.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
What I do not understand now is the following:

If I wish my posts to be in the public domain, NOT as you say to fall inder CCCD, giving you entitlement to act in my behalf, what can I do as poster?

Stop posting?

I´d rather see everything posted going into Public Domain, why is this not so?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
Because you provide a place to host my thoughts, or my work, does not entitle you part ownership, in my eyes.

Good point right there!!

Star. (if I could)

[edit on 14-7-2009 by Truth4hire]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Implosion

Meh... I understand and accept the T&C... In fact since I have never heard , read, or seen a thing of ATS going anywhere mainstream I am not gonna be scared of the LLC stealing my "work" and making money off of it and totally giving me the finger.... That kind of paranoia is for GLP DOOOOOOOOm

I mean get real!

Seriously.

These folks here are will remove content if you ask them too.... They will pay you if you post GREAT Breaking news stories....

Do you see a donation bar here?

NO

Can you buy a superior membership plan here?

NO

We are all equal

Does ATS make Millions and millions of dollars by stealing everyone elses works and selling it to anyone willing to buy it?

LOL

ATS is the best. I mean that video contest included paying the winner royalties let me say that in bold ROYALTIES

Who else pays you Royalties?

Certainly not "I need a dollar" GLP.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
Meh...

Well, don't you have an axe to grind....

So they're not now, what's to stop them in future?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

How much did you get paypal'd for that post?

lol jk man.

Knowing this now, I will be more thoughtful as to what I post in terms of work.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
reply to post by Implosion

Bold comments are my words...

Can you buy a superior membership plan here?

NO YES there is a membership area called RATS. I've never been there.

We are all equalNot really. Look over at the "flag" rating bar...not equal. Rated.

Does ATS make Millions and millions of dollars by stealing everyone elses works and selling it to anyone willing to buy it?

No. You're right...so far. I don't think they would do this to people, but they could. Would you trust your smoking-guy UFO pic to them with these new rules? They probally won't. But they COULD.
LOL

ATS is the best. I mean that video contest included paying the winner royalties let me say that in bold ROYALTIES

Who else pays you Royalties?

Certainly not "I need a dollar" GLP.

What is GLP? Good Luck Pal? I thought I knew all the lol and PTB and such but GLP is a new one on me. What does it stand for?

I don't think ATS would ever do anything to hurt its members, but the whole ownership thing is a little unnerving. ATS can do whatever they want to do because it is their site. No one is forced to post here!

But, it makes me think twice that they seem to take away my rights or want to share my info under the guise of protecting me. It's a little too big brother for a conspiracy site. But, perhaps I misunderstood the overall mission of the site. Hope I didn't misunderstand something vital.

On page one of this post, Bill says

In one smooth stroke, we suddenly are openly denying ignorance in a way that makes us impeccably good "Internet citizens

Sorry, Bill, but that line just makes my skin crawl a little.

But, to each his/her own.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by Pamie]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join