It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CELL Microprocessor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   

www.forbes.com...

Later this year millions of homes will get a new supercomputer for the living room. Or maybe the playroom. Sony's long-awaited PlayStation 3 game console, a slender yet muscular machine the size of a DVD player, performs a mind-boggling 2 trillion calculations per second. This kind of power, once reserved for seismic exploration and nuclear-weapons design, will let programmers create videogames that look as realistic as film.

And it doesn't stop there... Applications include missle technology, interactive tv, supercomputer mobile phone's. Endless possibilities! Look's like an amazing piece of technology.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I wasn't able to access your source link. Anyone else having this trouble or is it just on my end?

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I was not able to access it either. It requires a membership.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Odd, I'm not a member/subscriber to Forbes website/magazine and it hasn't asked me to register/subscribe.

Try the wikipedia instead, for those having trouble acessing the Forbes article.

en.wikipedia.org...(microprocessor)

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Yes it is interesting to see what applications the cell will be used in,Here is a little clip of how it can help in medical Imaging.

www.mc.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I couldn't get the link to work, but by reading the few sentences that are there, I don't understand your point? As powerful as the PS3 is, it is still not a ground-breaking, next-generation super computer (which is what I got from that summary). Surely they are aware that there have been computers out for quite awhile that, indeed, can easily outdo the PS3, and are around the same size (depending on the tower of choice).

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Could you please do a quick search on the CELL Microproccessor, then come back here and post your opinion. Thanks

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Omniscient
I couldn't get the link to work, but by reading the few sentences that are there, I don't understand your point? As powerful as the PS3 is, it is still not a ground-breaking, next-generation super computer (which is what I got from that summary). Surely they are aware that there have been computers out for quite awhile that, indeed, can easily outdo the PS3, and are around the same size (depending on the tower of choice).

True. Anyone remeber all that talk how powerfull PS2 is? Japan claimed they wanted to place export restriction on it... It was all just hype, like now. Cell is not the most powerfull CPU and besides it is heavily optimised for graphics, that means it use other than in PS3 will be quite limited.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
please look up abit more information about the CELL microprocessor then come back and post your opinion.

There are a ton of uses for this microprocessor. It won't hurt you to just look it up and learn abit more.

This is from the excerpt of the article I posted.

performs a mind-boggling 2 trillion calculations per second. This kind of power, once reserved for seismic exploration and nuclear-weapons design, will let programmers create videogames that look as realistic as film.

IDK, maybe you forgot to read it?

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   
the 2 Tflop claim of the PS3 was based on the GPU/CPU combined.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
heres a small comparison from the forbes article mentioned

www.forbes.com...
Cell :IBM, SONY, TOSHIBA
Transistors------------Performance
(mil)--------------------(gigaflops)
234---------------------230

Xbox 360 processor :IBM
Transistors----------Performance
(mil)------------------(gigaflops)
165-------------------77