It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watching water boil...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Is it just me, or does this site seem really slow? I have noticed this for a few days. Today is the slowest yet...

Every time I click on "MY ATS", this is what I get for as long as a minute:

All that blank real estate... nada... THE BIG GREY BOX...

I have rebooted... cleaned my cache... checked settings... checked my connection... threw water on the keyboard... cursed...

...well, you get the point.

Other websites seem fine... I think...

I have spoken to others who don't seem to have this problem. Yet, I can't figure out what would be wrong on my end.

Anybody have any thoughts?

I think I have thought of everything...including that my postings have been infiltrated by NWO agents, who by means of the BIG GREY BOX, attempt to seize control of my brain and force me into behavior of their bidding...

...but, I thought I'd take it one step at a time.

Did I break my computer?

[edit on 10-1-2006 by loam]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
How many threads are you subscribed to?

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
........ummmmm

I may have miscounted...but I think 47.

Don't those subscriptions happen automatically to every thread you post in?

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The site has been fine for me all day.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
The site has been fine for me all day.

Same here, very rarely do I have problems with ATS loading, and even then it's just a missing picture or two. And this I only notice on my system with only 128Mb of RAM, so I'm pretty sure it's my problem and not ATS's.

UO

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins
very rarely do I have problems with ATS loading,

I don't usually either...

I was wondering if it was an ISP thing? I remember having something similar with BTS.

I'm finding that it behaves differently. Some load times are longer than others. It happens for me on the ATS Main and the ATS Board front pages too.

[edit on 10-1-2006 by loam]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hmmm, that is odd, loam. It is working A-OK here in the great white (not!) North.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Subscription Of DOOM?

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
How many threads are you subscribed to?

I've been seeing sluggishness today as well, and it's been borne out by page load times -- as reported by ATS at the bottom of the page -- of upwards of 4-7 seconds at times.

It seems to come and go intermittently.

As for thread subscriptions, I have no idea how many threads I'm subscribed to total, but it must be hundreds and hundreds, because I almost never unsubscribe to threads.

Am I evil for not doing so?

Also, would a lot of thread subscriptions result in post previews and thread view refreshes taking 7 seconds to update?

I'm reluctant to try going through and unsubscribing them one by one, since doing so requires a page refresh each time and takes forever. I'm also reluctant to globally unsubscribe, because I like knowing what's going on in my favorite threads.

However, if doing so will eliminate the problem, I'm willing to give it a shot.

However, this is a relatively new problem, and my thread subscription count has probably gone up by no more than a fraction of a percent.

Also, the problem is intermittent. It's back again. And now it's gone again.

(By the way, site response is pretty peppy now, but was looking real sluggish about ten minutes ago. Also, my ISP ping times and packet loss have been nice and low all day, so I'm pretty sure that isn't it.)

Edits: Weird funkiness.

[edit on 1/10/2006 by Majic]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
great white (not!) North.

You know, I'm thinking of blaming ZONE Alarm Pro....or perhaps more precicely my failure to properly understand how to use it...

A few days back, it was the cause that prevented me from seeing the animations of the emoticons used on this site.

I'll have access to another PC and see if I have the same trouble there.

Thanks for your help, folks.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
As for thread subscriptions, I have no idea how many threads I'm subscribed to total, but it must be hundreds and hundreds, because I almost never unsubscribe to threads.

I'm reluctant to try going through and unsubscribing them one by one, since doing so requires a page refresh each time and takes forever. I'm also reluctant to globally unsubscribe, because I like knowing what's going on in my favorite threads.
Am I evil for not doing so?

If you use the manage subscribed threads feature, it's much easier than doing it one by one with a reload each time

Edit: If you're running a home network off of a router, you could try resetting that also (or just unplugging it for a few minutes). I noticed that once in a while my internet will start to crawl, and that's all I usually have to do. Or if you have an always-on connection without a router, you could try resetting that too.

[edit on 10-1-2006 by UnknownOrigins]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
You know, I'm thinking of blaming ZONE Alarm Pro....or perhaps more precicely my failure to properly understand how to use it...

A few days back, it was the cause that prevented me from seeing the animations of the emoticons used on this site.

Wasnt it Zone alarm that messed up with your download last night, too?

Is it something new you are using?

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I've been seeing sluggishness today as well, and it's been borne out by page load times -- as reported by ATS at the bottom of the page -- of upwards of 4-7 seconds at times.

I just counted 21 sec for a page...I have had longer.

It seems to come and go intermittently.

It does for me as well...increasing in delay over several days...

Same here, but only 50 or less display on the MY ATS PAGE, right?

So, do you think it is the number of subscriptions I have to postings? ...the Internet? ...this site? ....or me?

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
It may just be coincidence (that's right, this is ATS, there's never a coincidence
), but I've had slow load times today as well off and on. I started the day out not even being able to access any websites at all--ATS, CNN, Yahoo, nothing--and they slowly came back on. It was wierd though, I could get through the DNS server and get the IP addresses for everything (using ping), but nothing would load and all the pings would time out. I'm using Comcast as my ISP if that matters at all. No firewall either.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Thread Junkie

If you use the manage subscribed threads feature, it's much easier than doing it one by one with a reload each time

If it's not a problem, though, I would just as soon stay subscribed, because I love them all.

As for it being my ISP, I've been monitoring my ping times and packet loss, and both are quite optimal. Also, I'm not seeing anything similar on other websites -- they just pop right up.

The most important clue is the page processing times. When they go way up, that suggests to me that something is taking longer on the server side of things.

But I could be wrong, of course.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Edit: If you're running a home network off of a router, you could try resetting that also (or just unplugging it for a few minutes). I noticed that once in a while my internet will start to crawl, and that's all I usually have to do. Or if you have an always-on connection without a router, you could try resetting that too.

I haven't tried that. Great suggestion.

Originally posted by parrhesia
Wasnt it Zone alarm that messed up with your download last night, too?

It was, but I'm not having this problem with other websites.

Is it something new you are using?

30+ days.... painful... trust me.

Also, I'm not seeing anything similar on other websites -- they just pop right up.

Right.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I have also noticed this aswell over the past two weeks it seems to be going slower and even fails to load sometimes. I dont think it is my pc as it is new, plus i have got a 4meg broadbrand connection.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
While I could learn to appreciate, and even love, the meditative state the BIG GREY BOX produces, I was surprised to have that serene grey pallet interrupted by a MY ATS screen with only three favorite forums subscribed (I have many more) and no subscribed threads.
The page appeared to have finished loading in that state.

When I refreshed the page, it returned to normal.

Weird, huh?

Still very slow...............

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Ok...something new....

BTS and PTS are lightening fast! All pages.

ATS is not. Again, all pages.

That can't be me.

Is it another DNS thing, like last time?

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I guess the ATS slowdown on my computer wasn't "just my imagination. I have been experiencing some lag or sluggishness when loading ATS. But, as an experiment -- a lark, really -- I abandoned internet explorer and thought to give it a try on Firefox. And, you know what? It worked. Now ATS loads quickly and without the sluggishness that I have been experienced lately. Who knew?

I don't know whether this problem is a sporadic one over the network or if has anything to do with my pc but switching over to Firefox as my browser seemed to do the trick. Give it a try. You really don't have anything to lose.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I have been experiencing the very same problem for over a week. My normal subscription level is around 10, I try to keep the level low when no replies are made in the past two days assuming that was the problem.

Like Loam I have rebooted, cleared cache etc to no avail

top topics

<<   2 >>

join