It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When did it start for you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
How old were you when you started to question what you were told? When you wanted to know the answers?
When you realised that we are not always told the truth...

I think almost as soon as I had access to books about the unknown I paid little attention to anything else.

I am guessing I was 8 or 9 when I started seeking information on things that were considered mysterious or unknown, by the time I was 10 I was reading Charles Berlitz and Erik Von Daniken while other kids were reading Charlie and the chocolate factory and Judy Blume (I have to this day not read a single one of her works).
I was thinking about this the other day and I realised I have always had these interests and the desire to know more.
So when did it start for you?

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 06:54 PM
link   
because I'm having trouble with some of the questions asked or things said at ATS today..

I'll try to give you the answer you are seeking though. I always have questioned, it never stops for me, whether I 'feel' as though I'm on the right track and have to 'right' answers, I will never give up my queries. It is a process of learning and retaining for me, I have always been called a sponge for that very reason.

Now if you are asking specifically when we questioned the mysteries & paranormals in life..I can only tell you that I was brought up with these things, it is in my blood so instead of really questioning these particular things, I question the opposites of life. And I'm sorry, but there is no beter way I can find right now to explain myself..like I said, my mind is a million miles away or something...

I'm retreating to my chamber now as I obviously cannot make a lick of sense right now

~Mags

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 07:15 PM
link   
for me it has all been very recent. i had minor surjery so i was able to sit home on the computer, somehow i found this place. since then it really is like the matrix once you start to question things you kind of wake up. now i am even more lost than i think i first was.i look at things different. iv always questioned things just never really thought about any of them till recently. now i cant go back. but if i could go back to "not" thinking would i?

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 07:31 PM
link   
When I was 7 I think, when I learned that santas wasn't existing. After that every myth just fell down, TV religions education etc... I stopped beleiving every thing I was told and I began to do my own experiences.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   
My parents always told me to never fully believe what you read, or what your told.

It was about 5 yrs old when I started to see "shadow people" (2D beings which could only move along walls, solid objects); this would be a good time for my "self discovery".

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 08:54 PM
link   
A short overview of my upbringing:
I was born 7-25-77. My mom is a steadfast Christan and my dad is a discreetly pot-smoking, long-haired, old school Patriot. I didn't have a T.V. until I was about 15, so I grew up with books, talk radio, and old-time radio shows. My mom read us the "Hobbit/Lord of the Rings" series and several of the "John Carter of Mars" books before I was old enough to read such complex stories myself. I went to a private school with between 30 and 50 kids, at any given time, in grades K-12. My childhood was classic "Leave it to Beaver", and to this day my parents have never argued around me or my brother. My dad vocally opposed unconstitutional actions by the government and successfully fought the I.R.S. for over a decade (eventually he had to quit, because they started threatening to arrest my mom when the realized they couldn't nail my dad). I didn't have a social security# until I was 16 and wanted to start driving. Had I understood, then, why my dad was against my having a ss# at all, I never would have gotten it. Unfortunately, my "supreme teenage wisdom" was giving instructions at the time, and I didn't listen to him.

Anyways, with such an eccentric childhood, I don't think I could have been a silent, unquestioning sheep. Genetically and environmentally, I was destined to question the answers that most accept without a doubt.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I was always questioning. And always will be.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 08:57 PM
link   
i dont know
i always remember questiong thing always asking why we did this...

i remember asking mygrandfather when i was about 7 if people who live away from civilization like those people in the jungles etc, if they are going to hell since they werent christans and why would they go to hell since its not their fault....
he told me god would speak to them lol

the other one that drove me nuts as a kid was language i was like how did it form? did one day a non speaking human point to an object and decide to form a word for it and did the other person immediately understand them?

lol
so i guess my answer is 6-7
always have been courious

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 09:09 PM
link   
as long as I can remember I've been interested in cryptozoology, ufo's/aliens, and various paranormal...
it wasn't till later, maybe 5th grade that I started questioning people/things.. and that was after a conversation with my aunt.. who is the same as me.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 09:12 PM
link   
In a debate with my professor when I discovered that the Commerce Clause can be used as a police power...and it would be perfectly constitutional.

He didn't want to admit it but at the end of the class he told them I was right.

[Edited on 30-9-2003 by Colonel]

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Most people in the UK are suspicious of the Government, however my parents didn't bring me up to question everything, although I always did anyway.

The world has always been a mystery to me.

But the day my life took a real twist was on September 11th 2001.

I saw something unbelievable, and when I found out what happened I still found it completely unbelievable, and do to this day.

Since that day, I have been trying to find some answers to many different questions not just about 9/11, about this world we all live in, but have only found more questions.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I was four years old when I saw a UFO, but I didn't question it as I had no idea it wasn't a normal thing to see. Around the age of 10 is when I started to actually develop some sense that what I was told wasn't the whole truth.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 07:05 AM
link   
i was bought up reading books. reading books exercises the mind and encourages it to think, to be inquisitive. i also used to watch a lot of news channels, and i soon realised patterns that didnt fit what i had been reading. politicians? i can read them like a book so naturally i began to develope a distrust of the system. by the age of 13 i knew something was totally FUBAR about the world around me and as i discovered more and more ways of getting information outside of 'mainstream media' i became more and more aware.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 07:22 AM
link   
After my first (and only) bona-fide UFO sighting when I was a kid, and living in a Coast Guard compound in Alaska. When we asked our father (who was in the Coast Guard at the time), he said he couldn't speak of it (and still doesn't, in fact, seems he can't even recall it nowadays, and that seems genuine...) It was quite a sighting though, numerous craft, numerous witnesses, and all of us well-versed in seeing aircraft of various types, given our upbringing. Whatever they were, they weren't ours... Ever since then, I've not only questioned, I've KNOWN, that something is being kept from us....

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer

It was about 5 yrs old when I started to see "shadow people" (2D beings which could only move along walls, solid objects); this would be a good time for my "self discovery".

I SAW THE SAME THINGS!~@! BUT ONE OF THEM WAS MOVING TOWARDS ME

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Must have been 7 or 8. I was then booted from two churches at age 12 because I really started to question everyone, not just teachers. Oh well. Not my loss on that one. I now question EVERYTHING.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 08:47 AM
link   
When my parents fought a lot and ended up getting a divorce,which basically destroyed my world.
I have come to grips with that fact,but in finding the causes I learned much more than I ever wanted to know about how the world works.
It is a #ty place,a good attitude won't change a friggin thing if those who are against you have more power than you and don't want you to succeed.
I guess it is a good thing that my soul is not for sale to the highest bidder like most people's are.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 08:58 AM
link   
when the word illuminati first clicked in my head ...

boom... something just happened it was like a tirgger word or something.. now i just ask why all the time and question everything..

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I was about six when I first deliberately disobeyed my parents...
I was punished severly (belts, not whips, I'm not that old or retro!).

My parents got divorced when I was in ten(ish).
I tried to kill myself.
I ran away.
I told the police I didn't want to live with my mother.
...they brought me right back.
I started to question authority after that...
I had always been quite fluent with my words, and occasionally won arguments/fights/debates... I was in karate, I had to quite recently because of financial problems (woud have gotten third degree black during October
). In middle school I shocked many of my teachers. I never did my homework yet in class I knew exactly what they were talking about. High School I pissed off most of my teachers whenever I questioned their teaching style or lesson content. They could move me around, but couldn't expell me because I NEVER broke any rules...hehe....

Now here I am on ATS still trying to find the truth...
Everyone denies ignorance, in one of two ways:

1.) You deny ignorance a place in your life, the ATS way
View the deny ignorance link below or at the top of each page between Today's Posts and ATS Chat
www.abovetopsecret.com...

2.) You deny the existence of your own ignorance. This is what people tdo when they simply accept false lies and do not question it.
If you do not question what you are told, you will not learn.
If you do not learn you will not know.
If you do not know, what the hell is the point of living?

Don't forget,
- Tass

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 09:12 AM
link   
i was about 8, and i told my teacher she was stupid because i don't wanna work my whole life fer paper

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join