It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blu-ray and hd dvd out dated already?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I think future is in small flash memory sticks. They are much smaller than optical disc can be, and they have no movable parts. You can basically carry 10 movies in your pocket ... Optical discs will be only for backup and very large data packages IMO. The only one problem is that flash memory is still too expensive, especially cost per GB when compared to optical media, but what in 5-10 years?

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I have to agree w/ sardion2000, I think the future is in a "OnDemand" type service. Right now this tech is in if infancy, at peak times the ondemand service on my Comcast digital cable is awful, if it works at all, it has a long way to go to be feasible. But when the infastructure is really set up well, why would any company want to pay to have media created, when they can just steam to content to you and do away with all the cost of manufacturing discs. I think it will be a looooong time before people are ready to embrace this though. At least when you buy a DVD you have a hardcopy of the movie/show/pr0n
instead of just a file sitting on your computer/tivo/Comcast's server. You really need to have the ability to make your own copies to keep for this to even sound good to people. A lot of companies are headed in this direction, but no one has done it exactly right yet. Once you can download a movie that is currently playing at the theater and watch it on you DVR/computer/media center that even a noob can operate and create a hardcopy (be it blu-ray/DVD/HD DVD/flash media/etc) easily you might almost be there. But the product/service/software to bring this about is very young right now. The new medias are a short term solution at best. And having another format war (Blu-Ray vs HD DVD) is a step in the wrong direction. Of course it could frustrate people to the point that they adopt neither format. I know I won't be a early adopter of either. Maybe this will drive the cost of double sided dvd media down some. With my digital cable, series 2 tivo and double sided burner, that would be the last peice of the puzzle to keep me happy for a while. Come on $0.25 double sided media!

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
yadboy - Double sided??? I think you mean Dual-Layered.

I know I dont want content on both sides of my dvd's....then where would the label go.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SecretMuffinNinja

Originally posted by longbow
Blue Ray and HD DVD are nearly useless too. The only thing they would be good is for games or data backup, you don't need so much space for other aplications.

I wouldnt say that too soon. I mean Bill Gates once said that 3megs would be enough for anyone. Is it today?

It was "640K should be enough for anyone"

Holographic tech is much faster according to some of the stuff i have read.
Next up we'll be holographically storing data on crystals like in Stargate and so many other Sci-Fi shows.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
yadboy - Double sided??? I think you mean Dual-Layered.

I know I dont want content on both sides of my dvd's....then where would the label go.

My mistake, I did mean dual layer. But double sided dual layer would be pretty good to, I mean, who needs a label, I want max space!
(crap, that would be some expensive media
)

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Anyone remember hearing about the IBM Millipede a few years ago? One terabyte per square inch in a non-disc format.

Link to IBM's page

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join