It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing Anti-American attitude in Canada???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I live along the border and I heard a local radio talk show host on the American side talk about a growing anti-American attitude by Canadians.He claims that there is a trend of America bashing in the media by Canadians and at sporting events.He uses as examples comments the mayor of Toronto made after a fatal shooting Boxing day,where he says that the shooting was a direct result of America exporting it's problems to his city ie; gang violence.The radio host also brought up about the world junior cup hockey tournament in Vancouver where Canadian fans rudely accosted the American team during it's play there.There was complaints by the American coaches,that during every game they were Barraged by jeers and insults by the crowd.This radio host also brought up an incident that happened two years ago at a peewee hockey tournament in Quebec where an American hockey team was harrassed by the crowd there.My questions are these-Do you Americans feel you are not being treated fairly by your Canadian neighbours???And are there any Canadians here that feel that there is a growing attitude of negativity Towards our neighbour to the south??? Anybody else who wants to weigh in go ahead......

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Yes there is growing anti-american sentiment in Canada. When I was younger, I really wanted to move to the states, they had everything I ever wanted including warm weather. As an adult I find I am swinging the Anti-american way and I think it is mainly to do with politics as America has been at war so frequently. The other thing that wrangles almost everyone is the idea of entitlement, and not just the americans have this attitude, its one of the reasons that the sports teams get mistreated by opposing fans. We feel entitled to express our displeasure, or antagonism against opposing teams or foreign governments. I am sure there is more to it but I have to go feed the dog. Bye

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Sports is tied to nationalism, if it wasn't why the national anthems before the game. The people of BC have a HUGE beef with the Bush administration over the softwood issue. He's screwing them and doesn't care. That not caring is hitting these people in the pocketbook. That being said, these are kids, I think it was WAY out of line.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I live in Canada and I don't agree that Canadians are against the people in the US, no doubt you have a small handful that are but don't we in every country!

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I'm not seeing this belonging in WOT.
Sure, the sentiments may be related to anti-war feelings, but this belongs elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
sorrry about where i posted this,I goofed on that.And I'm gald to see there isn't alot of negativity here.I posted this also to see if maybe there is a conpiracy going in the media to bring about bad PR towards the current administration.By reporting bad press out of Canada against the U.S. could make Washington's current foeign policies look bad by implying that they aredamaging relations with their trading partner...Anybody want to comment on that???

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ARNOMANNN
By reporting bad press out of Canada against the U.S. could make Washington's current foeign policies look bad by implying that they aredamaging relations with their trading partner...Anybody want to comment on that???

Sure, it's further propaganda to sway American sentiment that we're the bad guy here, not like this Administration hasn't employed this tactic ad nauseum. Remember the sentiment of this Admin. when Canada wouldn't boot step into Iraq with them? Jeez, the little that is coming out in this election, that's all it is, political jockeying for votes by seperating from Bush, is minimal compared to the reaction from Washington back then.

I'm sure that Bush et al are songwriters, their policy smacks of a Limp Bizket song, "It's my way or the highway".

Man, that's long winded for me.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I know most canadians consider the united states our friend, we just have issues on free trade that will be cleared up eventually.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Why do you think Anti-Americanism is alive and well north of the 49th parallel?
After all, we Canadians have health care, cheap drugs, and the LIEberal Party of Canada that is always good for some laughs. And Tim's on every corner, no Krispy Kreme for us.
Who has time for war, poverty, beef and lumber disputes, and gun toting rednecks in a certain white abode.
Pass the real beer please.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 02:00 AM
link   
1) Monster truck shows at BC Place Stadium have been cancelled due to the amount of fights in the stands.
2) Look at the idiot riot of the 1994 Stanley Cup playoffs where Vancouver lost to NY in the finals and the morons trashed downtown and 2 people were killed. It is still mentioned on the show Maximum Exposure as the top idiot sports event on their countdown.
3) Couple of years ago same thing. Vancouver makes into 2nd round of playoffs and the idiots gather downtown and almost went apesh*t again. Vancouver Police had to be called in and once again Vancouver doesn't make it past 2nd round of playoffs.
4) Captain of Vancouver Canucks and another two players (Naslund and Sedin sisters) are from Sweden. I attended one game where they were losing (as usual) and the entire idiot section was chanting "GO BACK TO SWEDEN. GO BACK TO SWEDEN." Now what does that say about your typical hockey fan in Vancouver? There's also a black player by the name of Anson Carter on the Canucks and you don't even want to hear the kind of things they say about him in the stands.
5)On any given nhl game involving Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, Detroit or Colorado you can hear fans in Vancouver booing their team and the cheers for the visitors drown out home support.
6) Vancouver couldn't even sustain an nba team...remember the Grizzlies?
7) Bertuzzi vs Moore. You bring up that topic in Vancouver and that just further increases violence between sports bar trolls.
9) Morons love to bash "US" nhl teams even through the majority of players on those teams are Canadian. So many idiots were saying supporting Calgary and that it's Canada's team!??! There were more Canadian players on Tampa Bay!
10) Lastly, the majority owner of the Vancouver Canucks is John McCaw...an American.

If you want evidence of the typical idiotic hockey fan in Vancouver you can go onto canucks.com forum or listen to the 10pm sports show on cknw.com. They're too busy insulting and arguing amonst themselves. You can make your own decision how serious to take Vancouver hockey fans. As Bertuzzi sez "it is what it is." The only reason they boo'd was because US was the favorite to win the World Jr's this year. I wouldn't even give these fans any credit on thinking about politics or economics when boo'ing the US Team. Don't read it too much. When you say I AM CANADIAN on the street here peeps aren't talking about their national identity, that's the slogan for a beer commerical.

I wear my US Hockey Jersey when I play hockey in Vancouver and I just shrug when the idiots got something to say.

Drunk morons are just drunk morons at GM Place....nothing more. nothing less.

[edit on 8-1-2006 by hotsheets]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
canada does not have any problem with u.s people.the problem is the govenments do not agree and work well together.the main problem is u.s worship there govenment canada expects more out of there govenment.there is a big difference and that could spark off small average joe type confused people.but i think they the govenments like it that way.....

[edit on 8-1-2006 by flukemol]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
What do you mean, "growing" anti-American sentiment in Canada?

Canada practically invented anti-Americanism. Canada has been anti-American since I can remember, and much longer than that.

Its simply that what they bash us about changes with the times and fashion. Thats really it.

Its nothing new, and hardly anything Id lose sleep over anyway.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I don't believe that we invented "anti-americanism".As someone who lives along the border and who does business in the states,I find that all of the americans I deal with a very pleasant people.I don't understand why anyone would hold any ill-will towards these people.I think that our government and other governments have been somewhat critical of the U.S.'s foreign policy,but you can't hold that against a whole nation.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
What do you mean, "growing" anti-American sentiment in Canada?

Canada practically invented anti-Americanism. Canada has been anti-American since I can remember, and much longer than that.

Its simply that what they bash us about changes with the times and fashion. Thats really it.

Its nothing new, and hardly anything Id lose sleep over anyway.

Thank you Skadi, I think you just successfully proved my point:

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by ARNOMANNN
By reporting bad press out of Canada against the U.S. could make Washington's current foeign policies look bad by implying that they aredamaging relations with their trading partner...Anybody want to comment on that???

Sure, it's further propaganda to sway American sentiment that we're the bad guy here, not like this Administration hasn't employed this tactic ad nauseum.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Hardly, Intrepid. Seeing how Anti-American sentiment was quite rapid before 2001.

And since |I do not pay much attention to the news media anyway, its a moot point.

I say this because I quite clearly remember reading quite a bit of Anti-American drivel in Canadian papers for several years prior (yup, we DO get canuck rags south of the border) and of course, those lovely Canadians Ive known in the past who re-enforced my point.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Funny skadi, you're sounding an aweful lot like you are accusing us of.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Funny skadi, you're sounding an aweful lot like you are accusing us of.

Hmmmm.....and IM paranoid?

Im simply stating my experiences as I know them. I honestly dont care enough about other peoples opinions of myself, let alone my country, to really be anti anything.

Im simply stating the fact that Anti-American sentiments in Canada are hardly anything new, and nothing thart I consider troubling, anymore than I am bothered by the animosity between yankee Fans and red Sox fans.

Its simply something I think people should stop worrying about, because its always been like that and probably will not change, yet no one is really losing sleep over it.

Do those canadians who are Anti American stay awake at night with nausea at the fact they have to share a border with a bunch of gun toting Jesus freak fat asses? Probably not. Do paranoid Americans lose sleep over the fact that some twat in Montreal calle us stupid bastards or fat hicks or whatever? probably not.

My point is, contrary to what some people think, is that its a waste of time to worry about what one group of people think of another.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
S kadi, I find it sad that you feel that us Canadians have always felt this way. I was born in England, I noticed that is your location but not sure if it is your birthplace. I have lived here all my life since I was 3 so as far as I'm concerned I am Canadian, and yes I say this because I have been around for more than 4 decades.

I have many American friends and one of my brothers lives in Chicago.
There may be some Canadians who won't like this comment but I believe some of this anti-americanism stems from our government, our main media CBC is government run, ( I prefer CPAC myself ) not government subsidized.

We are a very young Country that is very culturally diversified, and unfortunately it is some of these opinions that cloud the true meaning of being Canadian.

As long as I can remember, ( I believe you used this term) we didn't always feel this way and for alot of us we still do not.

I have a link for a speech that was written by a Gordon Sinclair in 1973 called " To the Americans"

First, I hope the link works because every time I have added a link it doesn't, ( maybe someone could help me on this)

and second, because it says alot about how people treat their neighbor and fellow man.

BTW I posted a thread around Thanksgiving called To our American Friends
and I believe I got hmmmmmmmm... three responses. Some of you didn't even know we celebrated Thanksgiving, so if you're wondering sometimes why we bash you, maybe it's just to remind you that yeah, we are here and yes we do exist and no, we are not your retarded cousin.

Oh and aren't you just a little bit glad that Team Canada junior beat Russia, we always are when you guys do it.

www.tysknews.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Ok see I just tried the link and it won't work. I hit the hyperlink and entered the link and then hit ok , anyone know what I am doing wrong because it looks like the link would work but nada . This always happens

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Wow..

Well, I will say, if you ever watch a Calgary and Edmonton Hockey game, you'll see alot of insults and baggering of coaches and players. Does this mean that Edmonton is Anti-Calgarian and vice verca?

Luxifero

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join