It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing Anti-American attitude in Canada???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
No, I just moved to England from Seattle.

Im simply stating my opinions based on experience. As Ive said, I dont bother being bothered by opinions of others. Im rather used to it. I dont hate or look down upon Canadians who dislike the states. I just think its a waste of time and energy really. But i hardly hate Canadians. Im simply trying to clarify to Americans who might be shocked about what they believe is recent anti American sentiment. Its not new. people just notice it more now.

Canada is not the only one though, its been my experience when I was in the army that people everywhere do not like Americans, especially military, so Ive learned not to be bothered by it. It hasnt kept me from traveling abroad, and wont. but some Americans might be bothered enough to hide back home.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
But WHY are people noticing it more now??? Why is it being reported now??If it has been there all along like you said, then what is the purpose of bringing it up in the media at this point in time???Is it possible that this is a new campaign of demonizing Canada for some other political purpose?? Maybe this administration is looking to justify opting out of paying us back the 6 billion in tarriffs on softwood lumber they owe us?? or maybe they are going to levy more sanctions against us?? Or maybe they looking to turn attention away from how bad things are in your country right now?? Is that why you moved from your country to England Skadi????

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
What do you mean, "growing" anti-American sentiment in Canada?

Canada practically invented anti-Americanism. Canada has been anti-American since I can remember, and much longer than that.

Its simply that what they bash us about changes with the times and fashion. Thats really it.

Its nothing new, and hardly anything Id lose sleep over anyway.

Yeah right. And who picks up after the yanks when they louse up on the world stage. It's simply that we Canucks are tired of being your *&%$ch.

Get over it. Besides, we have enough trouble with the LIEberals at the moment. At least wait your turn. OK?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
... are there any Canadians here that feel that there is a growing attitude of negativity Towards our neighbour to the south??? Anybody else who wants to weigh in go ahead......

Hello to the forum from new Canadian Member. In response to the above, I offer my own (Canadian) opinion:

Anti- American sentiment is growing, but not just in Canada ... recent Bush Admin. policies make it really, really difficult to embrace expansionistic, empiristic attitudes from our southern neighbour.
I, personally, don't remember feeling as frustrated at American government when Clinton was in power. He actually seemed to represent attitudes and opinions that the rest of the world could live with.
The present Administration seems to be taking itself way too seriously, at the expense of itself and the rest of the world.
My anti-American attitude is aimed solely at the government level, the individual Americans I have no problem with, they are just being led by some truly evil people.
This frustration stems from a realisation that the more the Bush Admin pushes as they are doing, the more there is to give then break. And it will likely be the American economy that shatters, sending Canada down with it.
Not a pretty thought, therefore, people express their distrust and distaste in an immediate fashion, like at a hockey game, because their voices will get heard. I recall another hockey tournament a few years back (perhaps the 1st Gulf War ... George senior) held in Europe where the American team was booed, also.
Oh ya, the Americans lost that tournament, too!

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I think We the "US" are just blowing things out of proportion just a tad bit.
I have Friends in Canada and about 50 online gaming friends to boot.
They all seem to be, "if at all upset" say they are not happy with the US government. They are not upset with the people of the US at all.

Last year I went to Canada with some Friends to see what cold weather really was and what good beer Mose Head is. The people were all very nice and kind of joked around with us in good sport. I am looking for a new place to see and if not for it getting so damn cold there would not mind getting a place there. The only time I though I was going to get a hard time was when I handed my red passport to a local police there and his face turned as red as my book. After going over the speed limits with me he just sent me on my way.

intrepid................... I have never see you post so much in one time!

Are you feeling OK ??

[edit on 9-1-2006 by Mr101Hazardous]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Most Canadians know the difference between the Bush administration and the American people.

Is anti-Bush sentiment in the USA is a sign of national self-loathing?

better sentence

[edit on 9-1-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr101Hazardous
intrepid................... I have never see you post so much in one time!

Are you feeling OK ??

Feeling just fine. Canadians are proud of our easy nature and tollerance. I don't like to see that besmerched. I also keep in tune with the politics here and it seemed apt to jump in on this one.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ARNOMANNN
But WHY are people noticing it more now??? Why is it being reported now??If it has been there all along like you said, then what is the purpose of bringing it up in the media at this point in time???Is it possible that this is a new campaign of demonizing Canada for some other political purpose?? Maybe this administration is looking to justify opting out of paying us back the 6 billion in tarriffs on softwood lumber they owe us?? or maybe they are going to levy more sanctions against us?? Or maybe they looking to turn attention away from how bad things are in your country right now?? Is that why you moved from your country to England Skadi????

I moved to the UK because I got married and this is where my husband lives and has his family. In a few years, we will most likely move back to the states. My husband prefers it there, and so do I, but he has more to attend to here than I have back home.

Perhaps YOUR media is blowing things out of proportion, more than likely, to suggest it is as bad as you think. I dont think the U.S. will ever get so bad that I will have to leave it for that reason. But of course, Im sure you believe everything YOUR media tells you to be true. Well, spend your energy like that if you wish.

I know how things were back home, and when I listen to peoples impressions of it in other countries, I realize just how badly informed the rest of the world really is.

Obviously, this must include you.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Does anyone believe that there may be 10 times more Anti/ignoro-Canadianism influenced folks in the "Land Of The Free" than in the "Dominion Of The G.W.N."?
It cuts two ways on both sides of the 49th.
This is an on-and-off recurring debate that seems to come up every now and again, but I would submit that to my humble Southern gaze these items of difference arise out of America doing what it needs to do and Canada being required to react in way that both satisfies "the 800lb. Gorilla" in tenor and action and being seen by Canadians to be unique, sovereign and independent of U.S. interest.
The media debate on this (particularly on the 'net) seems to originate from a predominance of American sites and interests and hyped-up more than a little.
I can't help but think of those "interests-best-served" by the current flap on both sides of the longest undefended border.
Who benefits during and after such squabbles?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by solo32_98
... are there any Canadians here that feel that there is a growing attitude of negativity Towards our neighbour to the south??? Anybody else who wants to weigh in go ahead......

Hello to the forum from new Canadian Member. In response to the above, I offer my own (Canadian) opinion:

Anti- American sentiment is growing, but not just in Canada ... recent Bush Admin. policies make it really, really difficult to embrace expansionistic, empiristic attitudes from our southern neighbour.
I, personally, don't remember feeling as frustrated at American government when Clinton was in power. He actually seemed to represent attitudes and opinions that the rest of the world could live with.
The present Administration seems to be taking itself way too seriously, at the expense of itself and the rest of the world.
My anti-American attitude is aimed solely at the government level, the individual Americans I have no problem with, they are just being led by some truly evil people.

For me, the above is analysis bang on. I believe that the whole situation is being driven by and large by the isolationists in the White House. I have a number of friends in the States, and they are nothing but decent and wholesome. Bush and company are simply circling the wagons and charging blindly ahead. The trouble is they are pulling everyone else along. There truly are monsters. And they mostly come at night. Mostly....

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I'm a faithful reader of Canadian newspapers and read them every day. Not just the Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail...but lots of others as well.
So...if there was a groundswell of anti-American sentiment brewing north of the 49th parallel, I'd know about it!!!

It isn't the case, America...it just isn't true.

The most negative things we read here are a few polititians blowing off steam over unfair trade practices (well deserved) or the occasional moron sitting in parliament who shoots his (or her) mouth off, much to the shock and dismay of most sensible Canadians.

It's a matter of normal human characteristics. For every 10,000 people, there is always 1 who is a bit...erm...disturbed. I'm sure there are Canadians who, when thinking about America and her military power and wealth, get all bitter and lash out with lots of invectives. It's normal for this apple to be found in the barrel...it's rotten, wormy and unfit to eat...so we just toss it away.

There's lots of good apples left in the barrel, Uncle Sam...we're mostly fairly upbeat about America.

Don't you have some bad apples yourself? The kind that, when they think of Canada, cannot hold back lots of insinuation about communism or snivelling weakness, liberally sprinkled with threats of one kind or another?

This is getting to be tiresome, this navel gazing trend that's developed. If America is losing the hearts and minds of the 'rest of the world', maybe it's time for you to figure out why by looking in the mirror. After all, it's not us Canadians who are responsible for the way you come across on the stage of international affairs. Really, outside of Canada who cares what Canadians say? We are 1/10th the population and 1/1000th the military power.

Oh...and before I forget to mention the boos at the hockey matches...c'mon now, most of those people are fairly tight to begin with. It's that strong beer we have. Are you really equating a national trend by what happens at a sporting event? If that's the case, perhaps that cheap shot Jack Johnston took during the Juniors game should be reflected upon. Geez...most of the NHL players are Canadians to begin with...why would we boo a kid from Guelph just because he's playing for an American team?

We need Don Cherry to explain this to you.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Perhaps YOUR media is blowing things out of proportion, more than likely, to suggest it is as bad as you think. I dont think the U.S. will ever get so bad that I will have to leave it for that reason. But of course, Im sure you believe everything YOUR media tells you to be true. Well, spend your energy like that if you wish.

I know how things were back home, and when I listen to peoples impressions of it in other countries, I realize just how badly informed the rest of the world really is.

Obviously, this must include you.

The bold and the rest, c'mon skadi, we don't play that type of game here, that's typically American. I hope you learn something while out of the country. I do NOT mean that in a harsh way but the rest of the world doesn't function the way it does in the States. Adversarial if it doesn't fit your preconceptions. Actually I'm not and I haven't seen anyone else in this thread be adversarial except you. There have been American posters in this thread too. Like I said, we don't play that way and we're damn proud of it.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I don't think OUR media is blowing it out of prportion,and I don't believe OUR media or anybody elses.If I did,I wouldn't be hanging out on this website.I'd be receiving my instructions on what to think from cbc.ca

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I don't think OUR media is blowing it out of prportion,and I don't believe OUR media or anybody elses.If I did,I wouldn't be hanging out on this website.I'd be receiving my instructions on what to think from cbc.ca

Nope, you wouldn't. Unless you get instructions whilst you sleep. Have you ever watched it?? Bless their little hearts, they re-run the same news for 8 hours or so.

At least CNN has some (I use the term loosely), change in their programming. Not that I watch it either. For really unbiased and knowledgeable reporting, I prefer the Toronto Sun. Bastion of BS.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Bush's next political quagmire, "The war on Anti-Americanism"

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrjones
Bush's next political quagmire, "The war on Anti-Americanism"

Do you think he would recognise it; if and when it bites him in the you know where? Or will the rest of the world pay the price yet again?

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I am an American and for most of my life I have lived within the area of the Canadian Border, in New Hampshire and in New York.

It really is difficult to tell the difference in the people on either side of the border. Perhaps the Canadian people seem more fashion conscience.

For two summers my young son was at the Hockey school in Cornwall. Because I transported him across the border every day I would spend the entire day there in Cornwall. It was lovely. Me, my lawn chair and a good book down along the water. For lunch I would walk up to the Mall and then a lovely afternoon walk. The people were always very gracious to me.

During those years we often attended the Expo's games in Montreal. The funny thing about that is most of the sports fans in this part of NY were actually Expo fans.

We get many Canadians on this side of the border also. We live across the river from Cornwall. I really can't tell the difference at the shopping malls as to who is American or who is Canadian. I actually never thought to try.

During this last Thanksgiving dinner we had a young Canadian with us. He is a college student here on a hockey scholarship. My niece, also a college student, invited him to be with us for Thanksgiving.

There does seem to be bad feelings expressed on the internet, but day to day activity with actual Canadian people seems to be getting along just fine.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
My All-American son married a lovely Canadian Princess and I have an adorable American/Canadian grandson. Her parents, my wife and I get along famously and truly enjoy each others company. I get a kick out of introducing them to unique Southern American cuisine such as Eastern Style Barbecue and Brunswick Stew. We always enjoy talking politics and finding comparisons and differences in our two countries. One thing we definetly have in common is the ability to laugh at ourselves. With that said there is on thing that I must admit really seperates us. Americans love to joke and laugh about our politicians our government and our polices among ourselves. But we do not take outside critizism very well. Americans have an intense pride of accomplishment that most other nations do not understand and most see as "American Arrogance". This I believe rubs a lot of countries and people the wrong way. We Americans see countless cultures that have existed for thousands of years and are still 'Third World'.
We see foriegn governments that are hopelessly corrupt letting it's own people starve. In just a few hundred years America grew from a Jamestown settlement to a Mega-World Power. It is this sense of accomplishment that gives Americans an added swagger in thier walk, or that hint of arrogance in our manner. It is why Americans will bash thier President and Government with glee only to gather around him in force when he is attacked from outsiders. America is a big unruly family constanly squabbling amongst ourselves until a non-family member picks on one of our own. We don't like being told when we are wrong, whether we are or not, by anyone or anything outside our group. Americans honestly feel that there are no contemporaries on this planet, having accomplished an equal task to our own, that can give us advice! It is a simple fact and it causes much agitation with our friends and really ticks off our adversaries. And it is another very simple fact that the average American does not really care about world opinion. We are like the next door neighbor that everybody has, you either get along with him or you don't. If you don't then you might as well move cause he isn't going anywhere!

[edit on 10-1-2006 by WHOFLUNGGUM]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic

Nope, you wouldn't. Unless you get instructions whilst you sleep. Have you ever watched it?? Bless their little hearts, they re-run the same news for 8 hours or so.

At least CNN has some (I use the term loosely), change in their programming. Not that I watch it either. For really unbiased and knowledgeable reporting, I prefer the Toronto Sun. Bastion of BS.

ROFL. Admit it you only buy it for the sports pages and the Sunshine girl

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by Cynic

ROFL. Admit it you only buy it for the sports pages and the Sunshine girl

U betcha, fer sure 'eh??

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join