It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

whats the biggest threat to earth right now?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
whats the biggest threat to earth right now?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Sorry for the one liner but I feel its Humanity.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Cute.

-

An asteroid is a pretty big threat, but the Earth has survived some pretty big ones in the past.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Bush and his wars. Then there's talk of a black hole headed for earth.

Gee, there's so many. Aliens, you name it. Take your pick.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final
Sorry for the one liner but I feel its Humanity.

I agree.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'd put biological and nuclear weaponry #1 and #2. With the Israelis and Palestinians fighting, Iran looking at nuclear technology, North Korea's threats and wacko leader, terrorists, the US in Iraq, there's a lot of people mad at each other. Nukes are #2 IMO because while extremely deadly, we'd probably be looking at a single nuke or two, and while that might devastate a city, (and leave fallout radiation for decades, like the A-bombs from WWII did) they pale in comparison to the death toll if an effective bioweapon got loose on the world population.

As some others said, an asteroid could be dangerous too, but the low risk of that happening means it's a much lower priority in my mind.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
In my opinion, religion.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
It's got to be the American Civil Liberties Union and PETA!

Besides that, fossil fuels.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
People who believe in god(s) and/or alien(s).

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
People who believe in god(s) and/or alien(s).

People who believe in Aliens are a threat? Okay... agree with the God part though.

Humanity is the biggest threat to our planet at this moment. We continue to Expand and Exploit wherever we go often to the detriment to the local population and biosphere..

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I have to agree with all the others

HUMANITY , HUMANITY , HUMANITY !

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Dunno if there is a threat to earth as such...I think we will destroy ourselves before we destroy the planet.

The biggest threat to my own personal comfortable existence...Chinese economic expansion or climate change.

Or possibly this guy...

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Realistically...? Islam.

Fantastically...? Aliens

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
The belief that all our human institutions and traditions are bigger than all of us, without knowing that when they crumble they'll take us with them.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Bird Flu, or the like of.

I think disease will cause the demise of most of the worlds inhabitants. It may not be the Bird flu this time, but I think it will come down to some disease.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned... Global warming.

Ram

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I go with Clarky on that one.. Global warming -
And global illusion..

what ever that means..

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Only Two things mentioned so far

An Asteroid/Comet strike (big one) or a Black Hole would threaten the :

EARTH.

All the suggestions besides that tend to be from the point of view of humanity , the theat to us.... I must have mis read it, or was the question

" whats the biggest threat to humanity "

We may through pollution and nuclear war etc destroy most of life on the earth, but she is strong and resourcefull and has time on her hands!

Something killed the dinosaurs and most of life on the earth at the time, life continued adapted and survived eventually. In the very distant past when Oxygen was first building up in the atmosphere it killed most of life on earth then that found it posionous, the environment and climate changed, so life adapted.

I feel the response to this thread shows that we see the "world/Earth" from subjective personal viewpoints just "our world" in our bubble and this shows the attitude that might lead to our own downfall.

Regards

Elf

Ps however maybe an Climatological disaster caused maybe by pollution could destroy our atmosphere stripping it bare leaving no atmosphere to live in or a very very very harsh one for life as we know it to flourish, this with the loss of water on the surface could wipe all life of Earth, but a desolate lump of rock called the "earth" would still be spinning around in space. Much like some theories on past life on Mars.

(Oxygen source - James Lovelock & Nasa)

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
i dont think its gonna be humanity that destroys earth..its gonna be a LACK OF HUMANITY that does it...IMHO

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I agree: Not Humanity, but the lack of humanity. More specifically:

Science in the hands of politicians who are controlled by international financiers who use corporations to implement their credo-made-law: profit first, at the expense of everything else.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join