It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ariel Sharon Rushed to Hospital

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
cut to scenes of palastinians rejoicing ....

This will certinaly upset the delicate balance in Israel now.

Netty, we know it and we are used to handle this.

Sharon's condition is life threatening, doctors assessed that his chances of recovery may not be high.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Riwka, any news on the Palistinians actually rejoicing?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I hope that Palestinians - as well as Israelis - will know to show restraint through all this. I used to dislike Sharon a lot, but right now he remains the best hope for peace, even with the wall he put up between Palestine and Israel. If he dies... or has to resign... and if Palestinians rejoice publicly... it might make Israelis irate enough to put Netanyahu back in power. And that means the death of any peace plan...

As for Ariel Sharon the man... I pray he makes it through just fine.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Im sorry but I find the Palestinian bashing off topic. If this was the Arafat Dying thread and some one posted about the Jews rejoicing it would be labelled Jew bashing. What does Palestinians rejoicing have to do with this story? Im sure Netanyahu is rubbing his hands together as well. Shall we infer he had something to do with this too?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Im sorry but I find the Palestinian bashing off topic. If this was the Arafat Dying thread and some one posted about the Jews rejoicing it would be labelled Jew bashing. What does Palestinians rejoicing have to do with this story? Im sure Netanyahu is rubbing his hands together as well. Shall we infer he had something to do with this too?

That's my point exactly subz, I haven't heard of any, it would be counterproductive imo. If there is, it would be minor posturing by a few, nothing more.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Im sure Netanyahu is rubbing his hands together as well.

No,

Jews do not rub our hands when we pray.

00:44 Netanyahu says he is praying for Sharon`s well-being and recovery (haaretz)

At the moment, PM Sharons condtion is said to be 'stable'.

Comment: What now?

Even if Sharon fully recovers from his major stroke, there is no way that he will be able to act as prime minister during the next couple of months, and full-time election campaigning is definitely out of the question. The question that remains is not what will happen with Sharon - we all wish him good health - but he is out of the picture at least for the coming elections that will have to be held on time.

The question is whether Kadima has a future without Sharon. A significant number of politicians and public figures have joined the party, following Sharon. With him gone, internecine squabbling over the leadership could well break out. The prime minister's responsibilities have been handed over to Finance Minister Ehud Olmert according to law, but few Kadima members will want one of the most unpopular politicians in the country to lead them into the elections.

Over a third of the electorate were willing to vote for Kadima for one reason only. They relied on Ariel Sharon as the country's leader. What is left for them now?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Im sorry but I find the Palestinian bashing off topic.

What thread are you reading? No one has bashed the Palestinians all net said was cut to scene of them rejoicing, so chill out.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Foxnews had some people on saying he was bleeding into his brain stem. The commentator who appeared to be knowledgeable about these things said even if they are able to drain the blood from the area, most times the damage is too serious for recovery.

This is a sad thing. I just hope this does not fuel any actions by others in the region. Does anyone know much about the deputy PM that took over? Is he connected to the same party as Sharon (likely to continue policies) or is their system one where the deputy is of a different party?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   

from nativeokie This is a sad thing. I just hope this does not fuel any actions by others in the region.

I certainly hope not. If anyone is foolish enough to think that Israel will let it's guard down, even as much as they are immersed in prayer for Sharon, they are sorely mistaken. Do not mistake their sorrow and grief for mental distraction.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie

Does anyone know much about the deputy PM that took over? Is he connected to the same party as Sharon (likely to continue policies) or is their system one where the deputy is of a different party?

Yes. When Sharon announced the formation of the new party Kadima, Ehud Olmert was one of the first to join him.

(here is an other link to the Former Mayor of Jerusalem)

[edit on 4-1-2006 by Riwka]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Throwing in my medical 2 cents worth. It is unlikely that Sharon will ever return to politics let alone the PM position. Intercrainal bleeding is a life threatening problem and the fact that the had to place him on a ventalator before they even went to the operating room does not bode well at all.

If the bleeding was severe enough in addition to cutting off the supply of oxygen to the brain cells, the other major problem is one of pressure. as the blood begins to pool and exert presure on the brain itself you get a phenominon know to us medicos as Cushings Triad. Simply put you see a increase in blood pressure, a decrease in heart rate and a slowing of the respiratory rate to the point it may cease all together, a condition known as apnea. Patients showing these dire signs are often electivly intubated to gain controll of thier critical breathing functions.

If the pressure remains great the worst case scenario is one of herniation. The pressure literaly begins to squeeze the brain through the hole in the base of the skull that the spine goes through. When that occures its pretty much over as the brain is dead.

Either way his brain had an interupted oxygen supply and damage will have been done. Discussion of his returning to the PM role is not really necessary. Will Sharon survive and if so with what degree of injury remains the critical question that only time will answer

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Stay on topic please.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
update:

Hospital sources are quoted to have said that the bleeding in PM Sharon`s brain is extensive, but not in brain stem.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I made my comment about "Palastinians rejoicing" after the earler heart attack / stroke suffered by Sharon, when there were TV and media images of palastinains PRAYING for his death.

I expect the same again, just as 9/11 and the Gulf war 1.

link from earlier health issues over Sharon ...
www.humaneventsonline.com...

In Gaza some Palestinians greeted news of Ariel Sharon’s stroke with the “V” for victory sign, gunfire into the air, and pastries.

Schadenfreude is a recurring motif of Palestinian life. Some cheered the 9/11 attacks, passing out candy on that occasion as well. Many Palestinians have celebrated suicide bombings, including even mothers rejoicing in the deaths of their own children.

[edit on 4-1-2006 by Netchicken]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Throwing in my medical 2 cents worth. It is unlikely that Sharon will ever return to politics let alone the PM position.

Bingo, he will never recover from this and somebody will take his places.

I don't even think he will survive if indeed was a cerebral hemorrhage.

[edit on 4-1-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
From what I remember reading not terribly long ago, often times stroke victims are knocked out and put on a respirator because it makes it easier for the brain to recover. Is that true?

Either way this sounds huge, and like folks are saying, I can't imagine any return to politics on the horizon for him. If he does survive this tremendous struggle I'd imagine that rehabilitation and that sort of thing would be the focus.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
[Bingo, he will never recover from this and somebody will take his places.
I don't even thing he will survive if indeed was a cerebral hemorrhage.

It depends on alot of factors. My quess is that he was on anti coagulation medications after his first stroke (If it was caused by a clot and not a bleed) which may have made this situation worse.

If he survives (recovery implies a return to his baseline state) he will be lucky to eat solid food or even talk. Head injuries are the hardest to ever come back from

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
For those who are intersted, Israels Channel 2 has also an English feed on PM's condition (To view broadcast, click here )

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
What a nightmare Fred...

It begs the question though. What should one do?

Prescribe clotbusters to prevent strokes but then you lose the coagulating ability and risk massive hemorrhages?

I can't help but wonder if a lot of people have suffered similar attacks due to this dilemma.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join