It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College dont be afraid if you think you cant get in

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I’m sure there are many people in the world that just give up when they here someone say "oh guess what guys i have all A's im goin to Yale", at that moment you say to yourself "how could you let it get this far, you nothing, you will never be nothing.

These days’ kids especially in high school are too unmotivated and pressured by peers, teachers, and family. They feel that they should give up ,i know i am one of them. I’m not exactly the brightest student but i do know when something is wrong. I have seen many people we come out of high school with horrible horrible grades. Yet theses people end up living very good lives. It’s them; they finally find their motivation and try to achieve what they were searching for all along. They end up living the life they always wanted and looking back at their old grades and thinking why did I worry so much.

Although it is important to keep up good school work, many people ( i mean kids in high school who are worried) should just know that high school is small and that is a wonderful life right around the corner. So don’t beat yourself up if you not doing so well. Just look forward to what you want to do.

Im sure there are many people here on ats that can account for this they may chose to share their experience or not.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   
This is a very good message to get out there. I don't mean to dismiss what a good education can do for one, education is very important kids!

But I bailed out my first year, for the love of money (I am only human lol). I needed it and wanted it fast so I headed out into the working world a fresh-faced, vulnerable 18 yr old. Started out small time and worked my way up, and yes through good, hard work alone

I am now 26 and working for a corporate company that pays me enough to support 2 families, my last job and this one I have now both would normally require a degree, I have none and I am doing it and doing it well (and will continue to do so)

I would advise the youngsters of today to stay in school, give it your best and get those peices of paper that will help secure U a job. Just know that it can be done without them too, yes there IS hope

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I was in sixth form studying my A-levels, then at the end of the first year, they kicked me out/I left. (Bit of both)

Had an argument with a Media teacher who called me "vain", so I told her to "f**k off", and the head of sixth form never liked me since. He would always tell me off for practically anything, always tell me I'm doing "rubbish", when I knew I was doing quite well. So one day, I had enough, told him what I thought of him and he kicked me out. So I sent him an e-mail. It was quite a well written one, too. In the end, I told him to go f**k himself.

Now, I have no job, even though I must have applied for about 20. None of them will hire me 'cause I don't have enough "experience", but how am I meant to get experience if I can't get a job and how am I gonna find a job without experience?! :bnghd:

I'm trying desperately hard to get my web design business up and running at the moment and my album is currently being recorded.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
hey xeroxed88 i hope everything works out. Im still in high school and i have seen how some of the pressures of it can cause insane things to happen.

oh and ImJaded that is pretty good. I would like to hear more about your story if you want to go into detail or not.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
One thing I'd like to add is that, barring extremes, one college is just as good as the next, so don't give up just because you didn't make it to an Ivy League school. A lot of times, the most important thing the degree represents is that you started something that big and finished it. I mean, granted, Harvard Law or Business looks a bit better on that piece of paper than Joe Bob's Correspondance Corse fer Small Biznis Owners, but as long as the college is accredited it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
i went to school, i am not the best spark. but i do have a flicker of light here and there.

well i went to school, and come out with nothing... yes i am nothing that could get me any where.... i got into a bit of scrap with this girl and we fighting every minute we saw each other. so i thought why go to school! then at the end of it all i thought this is MY education not hers. and i came back did GCSE's and failed. because i didnt know the imformation i failed.

so i went home and did nothing... no job nothing... so i decided to move to spain with my brother. i was there for 6 months. i lived on my own, a WHOLE LOT of responsability. came home did nothing.

well anyway i did a intermediate class in business and got a merit. and got allowed onto the next year and now i am doing a 2 year course and doing well on that as well!

so come on guys if i did it so can YOU!!

oni x x

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
my grades arent that good...but after startting this thread the people that have told their stories really speak to me

if you just try hard you will get somewere.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
My perspective is that of one who chose not to go to college and may not fully apply to this thread, but I thought I'd share anyway.

I was homeschooled until 18, the last few years of that being mostly self-education on everything but grading. Being an innately curious person, this worked very well for me. In addition to the basics everyone should know, I learned something even more important - the ability to learn and find information on my own. Within a few years, most people forget a large portion of the facts they spent so much time on in school. If one is taught to learn independently, they don't neccessarily need to know so many facts. When the time comes that such things apply, they just do a few minutes of research and there you are.

Anyway, coming back to the subject at hand, I had the opportunity to go to college free of charge at the university where my mother is employed but decided against it. Why? In my particular case, I sat in on various classes as I grew up, up until two years ago, so I was already exposed to most of what that school had to teach on the subject of art. And, being an independent person, I find it more efficient to buy a book on a particular subject and learn by doing in a few weeks rather than waste several months on it.

Note that I don't believe this is necessarily appropriate for everyone. Some people flourish in a traditional educational environment and some prefer other methods. It depends on the person.

top topics

join