It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little lesson in spelling and grammar

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Sorry. I clicked on the link, but I didn't see anything that had to do with his spelling.

I'm a rude, arrogtant, self-righteous grammar "Nazi". I'm sorry that bothers you so much. The best thing to do is pretend this thread doesn't exist and stop trying to prove to me that you are right.

No matter.

Let's agree to disagree.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rouschkateer I'm a rude, arrogtant, self-righteous grammar "Nazi".

They are your words, not mine. If I don't agree with what you have stated, and I tell you, it doesnt mean I'm trying to be "right" and make you out to be "wrong", It means I have a different viewpoint, one that I feel you should be made aware of.

You never even responded to my point about people who have English as a second language. It's a very valid point, ATS has members in every corner of the globe. I know if this was a french forum, I wouldn't be able to express myself quite as clearly as I am now.

I think you have the wrong impression about me. I am not seeking to attack you personally, just the views you have stated. I thought that was what happened on discussion boards, but hey, maybe I'm a n00b.
I meant you no offence really, but I can appreciate that when someone is typing, it's hard to know if they are joking or not.

There is no reference to old BJ's spelling on that link, but look around, and you will see what I have stated substantiated. You gotta admit, the rest of his C.V. is pretty impressive.

Originally posted by Rouschkateer
Let's agree to disagree.

I hear adults do that a lot.

Have a nice day

[edit on 28/1/06 by Implosion]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
If I don't agree with what you have stated, and I tell you, it doesnt mean I'm trying to be "right" and make you out to be "wrong", It means I have a different viewpoint, one that I feel you should be made aware of.

That's fair enough.

You never even responded to my point about people who have English as a second language. It's a very valid point, ATS has members in every corner of the globe. I know if this was a french forum, I wouldn't be able to express myself quite as clearly as I am now.

LOL I agree, I wouldn't be able to express myself cleary, either.

Most of the time, from what I personally notice, those who can speak English fluently have structure down pat, but are negligent to spelling.

Those who cannot speak Enligh very well, have backwards structure or incorrect noun/verb relations. I hope I explained that well.

I think you have the wrong impression about me. I am not seeking to attack you personally, just the views you have stated. I thought that was what happened on discussion boards, but hey, maybe I'm a n00b.
I meant you no offence really, but I can appreciate that when someone is typing, it's hard to know if they are joking or not.

Precisely what happened. I took the wrong tone and it seemed to imply that I had no right to rant a bit. I apologize if I became hostile in any way.

There is no reference to old BJ's spelling on that link, but look around, and you will see what I have stated substantiated. You gotta admit, the rest of his C.V. is pretty impressive.

I didn't doubt you, but I thought there would have been something directly on that site.

Take care!

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Nice thread and thanks for the guidelines

I will be referring back to this myself occaisionally. Though my spelling is horrid, so have some patience with me

I agree that most of the people who will bother to read this thread already care enough to know what words they're using, but keep in mind, this is an international site. Not all of our members speak English as a first language.

--Kit.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
One to add:

Isreal instead of Israel

At the risk of being another grammar nazi, I agree that poor spelling, poor composition and poor grammar harm a poster's credibility.

Simple misspelling alone isn't really the issue, nor is the relatively obvious misuse of language that comes from having English as a second language. It's the obvious laziness and lack of attention that's exhibited by people who clearly understand and can use English, but simply choose not to bother with using it well.

There's a huge and generally recognizable difference between someone who takes care to communicate his/her views effectively yet has misspellings and awkward grammar, and someone who just dashes off a disjointed and sloppy post and slaps it up on the board. The former remain credible despite their misspellings and grammatical errors-- the latter will never be credible.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob LaoTse
There's a huge and generally recognizable difference between someone who takes care to communicate his/her views effectively yet has misspellings and awkward grammar, and someone who just dashes off a disjointed and sloppy post and slaps it up on the board. The former remain credible despite their misspellings and grammatical errors-- the latter will never be credible.

You have voted Bob LaoTse for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

That's exactly what I meant!

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I know my handle says it all, but I would be in favor of the sterilization of those who type, "Your welcome."

I can deal with who/whom errors, for the most part (although using whom when who is correct could be grounds for sterilization -- you're actually trying to use the right term and it's just too complex for you).

[edit on 30-1-2006 by Misanthrope2753]

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Apparently there is another form of English abuse that grates on my nerves. It is the misuse of the exclamation point, and the question mark.

You see, the exclamation point is used when a strong point is needed. A question mark is needed when a question is asked.

There is absolutely no need to place more than one exclamation point or question mark.

I understand the first one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got it??????????

/rant

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
crap

When "talking" like we do here.
Multiple exclamations, and question marks..........
And periods...offer a way to enhance, add cadence, and make this more conversational..

We are all typing, but we are virtually conversing..

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Having trouble learning new words, maybe spelling and grammar aren't your thing. Well, no worries because there's sites out there like this one;
Braingle.com

This site has a word of the day, and for those really curious people with more time on their hands you can click on " more vocabulary articles"

Have fun!

P.S. Instead of complaining about people who can't spell or have a limited vocabulary, I think the best thing to do would be to give them the knowledge to overcome it. A pre-emptive against illiteracy if you will!

[edit on 10-2-2006 by Magickesists]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Tha's what the lesson on the first post was for...a simple guidline on commonly mis-used words. I do have a sense of humor. I really do. I don't want to come off as the Grammar Nazi or the Spelling Schmuck, but the most common, basic English words, such as the ones covered in the first post, should be learned.

I mean no harm to it by anyone by posting this, or I am sure it will be removed.

I'm not perfect.

This thread isn't really meant for those who have English as a second language, or for those with learning disabilities. It is for the blatant disregard to learn the basics.

Peace!

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Well I'd like to add these two words cause i find I mess these two up alot!

Peice
A piece is an individual volume, which is included in a lot. A piece may be a volume of any type: periodical, monograph, etc.

Peace
The absence of war or other hostilities. An agreement or a treaty to end hostilities. Freedom from quarrels and disagreement; harmonious relations: roommates living in peace with each other. Public security and order: was arrested for disturbing the peace. Inner contentment; serenity: peace of mind. Used as a greeting or farewell, and as a request for silence.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Another common mistake I noticed:

would of and should of

instead of

would've and should've

Many people seem to confuse to contraction for have which is 've as the word of.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Well, this thread was overdue. Thanks for playing the bad guy, Rouschkateer.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Thanks. Of course there will be naysayers, but this thread was done with good intentions.

I have a mini-rant, too, about my fellow "computer geeks". I have noticed that their spelling and grammar is atrocious. (EDIT: Is it "I have noticed that their spelling and grammar are atrocious?" Hmmm... See? Even I'm not perfect!
) I have to write professional e-mails, type up work orders, as well as documentation, policies and reports. I would hate to receive something that sounds like this:

"Deer Mr jacobsen...

plz excuse us for the netwurk downtime. it wuz unexpected. did ja loose any emailz? lemme know.

peace -

tek guy"

:bnghd:

Or for a report:

"network usage up 30 purcent cuz of newly add FAQ page."

Or documentation:

"if the computer is locked out cuz of someone not loggin out b4 u, hold in da power buttin on da PC for a hot minute."

:shk:

A little professionalism, please? You may be 18, but do you have to type like you would in an instant message?

Ok, I'm done.
/rant

[edit on 23-3-2006 by Rouschkateer]

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob LaoTse
One to add:

Isreal instead of Israel

Am I misreading this? Im not sure which spelling you are saying is correct.
I spell it Israel. Is that how you spell it?

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Do you take into account all the people that happen to be disabled on here and do the best they can.
You normals piss me off with your all encompassing criticism. Your so bloody perfect, aren't you.
Print this out, ...roll the paper up,....and stick it.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Waht? Since we con't spiel...wyh pust taht?

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by fritz

Rouschkateer, forgive me, but one should never start a new sentance with the word 'And'. Gramatically incorrect, Old Chum.

Not in the least, old chap. I give you the immortal R.G. Fowler:

There is a persistent belief that it is improper to begin a sentence with And, but this prohibiition has been cheerfully ignored by standard authors from Anglo-Saxon times onwards. An initial And is a useful aid to writers as the narrative continues. The OED provides examples from the ninth to the nineteenth centuries, including one from Shakespeare's King John... It is also used for other rhetorical purposes, and sometimes just to introduce an improvised afterthought...

- Modern English Usage by R.G. Fowler, 3rd Edn. rev. R.W. Burchfield, 1996

Likewise the practice of beginning sentences with other conjunctions, ending them with prepositions and numerous other grammatical shibboleths.

Yes, I am punctilious about grammar, or at least I try to be. I do this for the same reason that I take some care over my dress and grooming. Poor grammar and spelling are not foolproof indicators of low intelligence or imperfect education, but they are pretty reliable. At all accounts they suggest that the writer is not someone to be taken seriously*. The only exception to this is the case of one speaking or writing in a language not his own.

Dyslexia, a learning disorder, is far less common than people imagine.

*For reasons too obvious, tedious and multifarious to recount here.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Another common mistake I noticed:

would of and should of

instead of

would've and should've

This one is my all time favourites too.
It's proof people just don't read anymore...It sounds like 'of' therefore it must be.

Another one is..

LOSE..
As in "You can LOSE your mind" not ..

LOOSE..
As in "Someone has just set by pedigree Siberian hamster LOOSE"

Oh yeah.. My grammar sux though !!

I Like using double empty lines to make it easier to read in the dark... and lots of ... and .. Just instead of a pause ..and to also make it easier to read without eye strain.

There's nothing worse than trying to read a passage where there are no spaces or pauses or anything to give your eye a point of reference to as in the last word you read because if you are like me and you read ats while you are busy at work or doing other things and take your eye off the screen for a second I find it really hard to find just where the heck I was up to and then I just end up not bothering to read it and instead run outside to chase squirrels with a stick whilst giggling away to myself like a schoolgirl.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join