It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little lesson in spelling and grammar

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Alright, kiddies, I am going to write up a little guide on common grammar and spelling mistakes I have encountered here. And please, by all means, I am not judging, rather guiding those who seem to have a little trouble concentrating in school.

Lesson One:
Same Sounds - Different Spelling

There- Their - They're
There- a place to go (ie: I would love to go there.)
Their - a possessive word (ie: That is their problem.)
They're- A contraction of they and are (ie: I heard they're a couple.)

Two - To - Too
Two- a number (ie: There are two pieces left.)
To- in a direction towards (ie: I would love to go to the beach.)
Too- also, as well (ie: I would love to go there, too.)

Week - Weak
Week- the collection of the seven days (ie: I will see you at the end of the week.)
Weak- lacking strength (ie: I am weak from being sick.)

Through - Threw
Through- to go between (ie: The tunnel goes through the mountain.)
Threw- to toss, hurl (ie: I threw the glass against the wall.)

Scene - Seen
Scene- the place an action occured (ie: This is the scene of the crime.)
Seen- looked at (ie: I was seen at the scene fo the crime.)

Hear - Here
Hear- listen (ie: I can hear you just fine.)
Here- a place to be (ie: I would rather be here than there.)

Scents - Cents - Sense
Scents- aromas (ie: Candles have amazing scents.)
Cents- coinage (ie: I have seventeen cents.)
Sense-A perception or feeling produced by a stimulus (ie: My hearing is my most sensitive sense.)

Lesson Two:
Different Words - Different Pronounciations

Immanent - Eminent - Imminent
Immanent- Existing or remaining within (ie: We think of God as imminant in nature.)
Eminent- Towering or standing out above others (ie: The Mods here at ATS are eminent beings.)
Imminent- About to occur (ie: Intelligence is in imminent danger.)

Illusive - Allusive - Elusive
Illusive- based on or having the nature of an illusion (ie: It is illusive to think that ghosts are real.)
Allusive- Containing or characterized by indirect references (ie: he is being allusive with his reasoning.)
Elusive- Hiding from (ie: She is being elusive with her true feelings.)

Effect - Affect
Effect- a result (ie: An argument is the effect of his illogical reasoning.)
Affect- to have an impact on (ie: His post really affected my life.)

Lesson Three
Basic Grammar

One if the easiest things to remember is that periods are our friends. They remind us to take a breath in between sentences, and allow our eyes to break in between thoughts.

Another wonderful grammatical format is the paragraph. Paragraphs break up multiple sentences into separate thoughts.

Commas help break up text as well. They are used to pause in a senence, but not recommended for two thoughts in one sentence. A semi-colon would be used for that.

Proofreading (also known as "Preview Post") is a good tool to get used to using as well.

Lesson Four
Common Spelling Mistakes

Benefit, not benifit
Crucial, not crutial
Confidence, not confidance
Definite, not definate
Experience, not experiance
Intependent, not independant
Separate, not seperate
Beginning, not begining
Biased, not biast

Okay, I think I picked long enough. Anyone care to add to the list? I may add later on, as well.
And like I said, I am not perfect...but...this stuff should have been learned early on.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
k thx
your good at teh spellin!!1

That's an insightful link you posted. Word explanations and usage examples. The description for the word "UFO" is quite interesting.

"UFO" stands for "Unidentified Flying Object," so if you're sure that silvery disk is an alien spacecraft, there's no point in calling it a "UFO." I love the sign in a Seattle bookstore labeling the alien-invasion section: "Incorrectly Identified Flying Objects."

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Excellent job..
But it will fall on deaf eyes..

I'll probably refer to it myself, every now and then..

Thanks

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Haha, great thread!

Some of the people on this site need to take heed! There are a ton of posts around that i can barely read because they're so incoherent.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Thanks guys.

Yes, the more recent posts have begun to look like my 2nd grader (she tries to type as maturely as she can speak - it's cute, in a way). It was starting to grate on my nerves, but since I don't think ATS/BTS/PTS has an age limit, I didn't want to go off into a total rant. Besides, I don't know what kind of upbringing or education...blah blah blah. You know what I mean.

Oh, the the UFO thing is priceless. I honestly didn't notice it. Oops.

And yes, it will fall on "deaf eyes", LOL. One has to read it to heed it. But it made me feel better.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
The problem is that anyone who actually cares enough to heed your warning most likely already cares enough to take consideration in their writing. Some people don't mind looking stupid through their own writing.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I realize that I can't force them to come here and read this.

I realize that most people who do read this are educated.

My point is, it is so hard to logically debate someone who can't spell basic everyday words correctly. I can't take their point seriously. I, for one, am always looking for a way to educate myself further. Constructive critisism is good for all of us.

I don't want to look stupid through writing. I want to look stupid because I don't know how to base my position.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
while one could use the grammar nazi defense I feel your pain

but such is the net no?

I hate when people post a post and its like 9 paragraphs shoved into 1 paragraph with no punctuation.

i guess the good ol' dyslexia kicks in and i loose my place whilst reading.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
A few I'd like to add that I see all over the internet, and bug me every time.

LENS, not LENSE.
GENIUS, not GENIOUS.
FEEBLE, not FEABLE.

YOU'RE = contraction of YOU ARE. It is NOT synonymous with YOUR.

BREATH is the air you BREATHE in. Dragons have bad BREATH. Dragons BREATHE oxygen.

And from Lesson 4 above:

INDEPENDENT, not INTEPENDENT or INDEPENDANT

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Hallelujah!

You saved me writing a post explaining my concern regarding the use of correct spelling and grammar, or the lack there of.

May I add that it is very important to separate large posts using paragraphs. I cannot stress enough how hard it is to read a lengthy post that is not set out in paragraphs.

May I also add to the above:

You're - Your
You're
- A contraction of 'you are'. (Eg. You're off your bloody rocker!)

Your
- Used as a modifier before a noun. (Eg. your boots; your accomplishments).
- A person's; one's. (Eg. The light switch is on your right.)
- Informal. Used with little or no sense of possession to indicate a type familiar to the listener. (Eg. Your basic three-story frame house.)

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
And from Lesson 4 above:

INDEPENDENT, not INTEPENDENT or INDEPENDANT

LMAO! Thanks! I should have used a spell checker, eh?

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I couldn't help but notice:

Immanent- Existing or remaining within (ie: We think of God as imminant in nature.)

And

Scents - Cents - Sense
Scents- aromas (ie: Candles have amazing scents.)
Cents- coinage (ie: I have seventeen cents.)
Sense-A perception or feeling produced by a stimulus (ie: My hearing is my most

Since?

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Rouschkateer, forgive me, but one should never start a new sentance with the word 'And'.

Gramatically incorrect, Old Chum.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I won't take offense to any corrections made here. Please, correct away! I wanted to make a basic, simple guide for those who seem to be a bit neglectful in their writing habits.

I will take every correction with a grain of salt...no matter how big the grain.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   
their, and thier..

Neither of them EVER look correct to me...
SO I alternate..LOL..

And I am Highly dyslexic...So I check for that..
AND

I have a slow-release shift-key pinky relflex, so.
THis kind of thing happens to me.
ANd it happens often..

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
their, and thier..

Neither of them EVER look correct to me...
SO I alternate..LOL..

This happens to me, too. I must be getting dumber as I age.
The other day I completely forgot how to spell "eye" (
)and when I looked at it, it just didn't look right. Stupid English language! :bnghd:

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I hear in this thread " I can not take an opinion seriously if the individual cannot spell properly."

This seems somewhat biased and prejudice, possibly ignoring a potential genius if they have dislexia, it's not correct. I am not bashing anyone but try to keep in mind the deny ignorance moto. It is good to be open minded and still try to listen.

It's might be self righteous of me but I kinda think if somebody takes the time to write on here, they have a right to be listened to and judged honestly.

Don't get me wrong though Dyslexia may be a signalling factor of further stupidity, just don't so quick to judge.

Otherwise I like the post lol. I spell some of the words wrong myself though so I'm dyslexic and retarded lol.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magickesists
I hear in this thread " I can not take an opinion seriously if the individual cannot spell properly."

This seems somewhat biased and prejudice, possibly ignoring a potential genius if they have dyslexia, it's not correct.

I couldn't agree more with the sentiment stated above. Spelling is no measure of intelligence. Anyway, what about those who use English as a second language?

This is obviously a way for a poster to cultivate a superiority complex, and quite, quite distasteful.

Have a nice day

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magickesists
This seems somewhat biased and prejudice, possibly ignoring a potential genius if they have dyslexia, it's not correct.

Generally, based on the context of the words, and the vocabulary used in a sentence, I can figure out if the person is on the level. At the time I posted this, there was in influx of exceedingly awful spelling posts, and I just wanted to get my opinion off of my chest. After all, isn't that what this board is for?
My statement of taking someone seriously means that as opposed to someone who can intelligently write out coherent thoughts in paragraph form, complete with punctuation and correct basic spelling, would be a more compelling post that one composed of run on sentences and gross misspellings.
Dyslexia is a known problem, one that I suffer from. A spell checker is never a bad device to use.

Originally posted by Implosion
Spelling is no measure of intelligence. Anyway, what about those who use English as a second language?

This is obviously a way for a poster to cultivate a superiority complex, and quite, quite distasteful.
Have a nice day

To me, spelling is a measure of intelligence. Perhaps it is because I respect myself professionally, and realize that without these basic (that word is used for a reason) skills, I would not be taken seriously in my workplace, and never have aquired the dream job I now hold.
If that makes me superior, then that's the way it is.

EDIT: to add -
I have not used a hypertext in my signature to this thread. I mentioned it once on another thread. This is posted in the Rant section of BTS. I try to respect other posters threads by remaining on topic.

[edit on 28-1-2006 by Rouschkateer]
EDIT: spelling!

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rouschkateer
To me, spelling is a measure of intelligence. Perhaps it is because I respect myself professionally, and realize that without these basic (that word is used for a reason) skills, I would not be taken seriously in my workplace, and never have aquired the dream job I now hold.

Benjamin Franklin was atrocious at spelling. I guess that makes him, in your eyes, a bit thick? I bet his job was better than yours. There are many words that I could use to describe you if I was so inclined, but superior sure as hell ain't one of them.

Have a nice day

BTW It's spelt: "acquired"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join