It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Do Black Holes Lead?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
First of all its not really a hole so to speak. It is more like a super powerfull black sun were the gravity is so powerfull the light cannot even escape.

It becomes so powerfull that most things sucked in are destroyed and turned into energy before ever reaching the event horizon.
Once a black hole forms very little actually contacts the black dense sun like center. Except other black holes that may merge.

In my estimation only another black hole whould be dense enought to withstand the energy of entering an event horizon. Even then I believe the overall mass of two black holes merging probably decreases as they merge.

The resulting black hole would have less total mass than the original two black holes did before the merge. I believe the black holes would begin to rip each other apart as they merge converting some of themsleves into energy before the finale merger.

If you tried to enter you would be riped apart into energy or melted.

While exotic for sure I believe black holes will not be so surprising once we can really detect how they work.

Just super dense ball of matter with insane gravity.

Just my own speculation.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
If you want to be really technical, a black hole isn't technically a hole. Its just a name. A black hole is more accuratly a single point where the gravity is so strong everything is pulled towards that point, and crushed into a single point. Thats really all it is. Think of it as if there was a tiny planet with insanely strong gravity.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Black holes lead nowhere lol A better name for them would probally be "Super Gravity Wells" or something.

And isn't the latest theory that black holes leak? So eventually they cease to exist? That is aslong as there not eating anything else. Of course what I find interesting hear is what happens to them after they have leaked enough to stop being black holes, what do they become?

Anything that does go into a black hole is just super condenced (squashed together, nothing more, it just sits there and then depnding on if black holes do or do not leak either a) if they dont leak the matter just sits there for the rest of eternity or b) if they do leak the matter eventually leaves them.

But don't think an object can leave a black hole as it entered, for example if you were sucked in you would be dead but eventually one electron/proton/neutron (or quark, however far that goes down too) at a time you would leave the black hole and then drift accross space.

What I find more interesting is that it is meant to be possible for large black holes to exist and small ones to exists, however they are unsure if it is possible for medium sized black holes to exist.

*Edit: Reading more I see people have explained better than me. I like the Humpty Dumpty analogy, that was good

[edit on 14-1-2006 by Shinji]

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Blacks holes like everything else have a lifespan as well. Tachyons can leave... if energy is leaving then because of good ol E=mc2 its mass will also decrease

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
apparently, black holes (supermassive blackholes) can start feeding again.

each galaxy is believed to have a supermassive blackhole in the center.

srry if someone posted this already.

[edit on 25-1-2006 by eben1]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
well some people think that there might be a black hole in the earth, they say it comes from the bramuda triangle to the dragons triangle , which are on opposite sides of the earth. its amazing how the whole universe works and how many thing we need to find out. it makes sense that there might be a black hole in the middle of the earth because black holes have a magnetic force or something and when ships and planes go near the bramuda triangle wierd stuff starts happenening to the compases and then the people go missing. we have eveidence of this because of radio calls airports and docks get. its very ineresting. but no one knows for sure.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Simply put. A black hole isnt a hole.

A black hole was named that because of appearance and action, in all reality it isnt a hole. What you would see if you were to magically step into one? Everything. Everything possible thats been sucked in like a hologram, stretched skewed inverted all the such.

A black hole is just a compacted star, meaning its mass. If you could "reach" the center it would turn you(and everything its already sucked in) Into a singular blobule of non moving electrons. We take up mass when our electrons move, but if stopped can be "stored" in a smaller space. (that and the gravitational pull making everything a small point

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
In reference to the first few posts,
wouldnt the "black hole linked to a white hole" theory infact,
just be a super-massive wormhole theory?

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Black holes are based almost exclusively on theoretical mathmatics. So, in keeping with that, the History channel did a future cast based on the life of the average star (of which our sun is one of the small small ones) and have deduced that our entire universe will some day be nothing more than a series of black holes. The anti-matter emissions will help to constitute new stars and planetary bodies and perhaps in a trillion -to the power of some unimaginable number-, the entire universe will completely be reborn.

Sure does paint a different picture than what I learned in school when they showed a demo pic of a shuttle passing 'through' a black hole and coming out the other end, seeing itself entering in, to demonstrate time travel. Yeah, right.

I think a lot of people get black hole theories and worm hole theories mixed up. To a previous poster, the movie Contact used Worm Hole theory as the cosmic highway, not black hole theory.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Nygdan

there could be something on the other side of a black hole. there isn't any way to tell. anything that goes through gets streched out and sort of dissolves. So you can't really say there ins't another side

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Truth_Seeker

so as i red this i was thinking that if the gravity pull wasnt so powerfull that we could go through and we would come out the other side,
so im saying that because it's so strong we just get destroyed, ablivorated into extreamly tiny particals and shot out into space never to be found again

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Merger

Could you be thinking along the same lines of a negative dimention. instead of a simila universe as our own. To simplify things, like a negative of a photo?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Yarium

NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW YOU CAN BE ELBLERTRATED OR TRAVEL TO SOME WARE ELSE

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
The way I've always thought about it is it doesn't go anywhere it merely sucks in anything with mass and compresses it down into an incredible dense sphere. I have a huge problem with whole idea that mass escapes from them to me it doesn't make sense.

If light can't escape and space/time in general can't escape how can particles of any kind escape and surely even if they did they wouldn't get very far before going back in. I know the whole information can't be lost argument in physics but cant the information just be trapped there forever?

But yeah I've never really understood why people think black holes go somewhere is this down to the Disney movie I wonder but then again if anything was ever going to rip into space itself I'd bet on the black hole.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by Teknikal]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Has anyone actually proven beyond reasonable doubt that black holes even exist?
I am not so convinced they exist, myself.
They need to exist before they can "lead" anywhere.
I am inclined to stick with the law that all energy is conserved and matter is not destroyed, but merely changes form.
What we call black holes may be something entirely different.
In the electrical/plasma cosmology model, I guess they'd be the negative charge where stars would be considered positively charged.
Both appear to attract and radiate energy...but what differences are there(if any) between the matter and energy that they respecively attract and radiate?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Black holes don't destroy energy or matter, they simply lock it up inside the black hole for infinity. Of course, recently its been found that they emit whats now called Hawking Radiation.

Yeah, and this is where the whole "white hole" idea would come into reality. This unknown point where all this energy is being released at some other point in the universe? In reality it's this Hawking Radiation that expels energy that has been part of the black hole for probably a very long amount of time. It doesn't drain black holes because the amount is probably less than or at best equal to the amount of energy it attracts.

I would love to believe that black holes are gateways to some other point but when i think about what a black hole actually is (a super-condensed point of matter), then you can't, even in theory, go into a black hole. You could go ONTO a black hole but that wouldn't take you anywhere.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I personally stand by the fact that if they do exist, they automatically do not,
A hole is a lack of something, Therefore it would be a lack of space,
(yes i know it would technically be a lack of a star anymore,
but if the star is gone & there is still a hole, my point continues)
and since 'space' is just that, nothingness, how can there be a lack of it,
unless there is a positive in which something is actually there,
which would mean it could then be a hole.

Its hard to explain, due to the fact each time you think of it,
you also think of something else & have new realizations

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Isn't it technically slightly possible that a black hole could somehow lead to somewhere? I mean, can't gravity bend spacetime? Isn't it possible that a really strong source of gravity could actually form a sort of wormhole? Though unfortunately.... we don't know for 100% certain if a wormhole is possible.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrayFox
Isn't it technically slightly possible that a black hole could somehow lead to somewhere? I mean, can't gravity bend spacetime? Isn't it possible that a really strong source of gravity could actually form a sort of wormhole? Though unfortunately.... we don't know for 100% certain if a wormhole is possible.

its a possibility, but remember a 'black hole' is just theory behind a possibility,
To be honest no scientist on earth actually knows enough about quantum mechanics to actually be able to ever say 100% 'yes, this is how it works'
Im afraid all you'll ever deal with is theory,

However to go along with your theory about a black hole leading somewhere,
Yes indeed it would be perfectly possible for it to lead somewhere,
However anything traveling through it would be completely crushed & disassembled
(if your going by the current theory's on black holes that is)
So it would actually be leaving nothing to be able to come out of the 'other end' so to speak,

Maybe black holes are just a big void of nothingness,
Just like space is a vast amount of nothingness,

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I was thinking, since from the outside black holes look dark, would looking from the inside outwards look bright? Sounds sort of similar to the concept of white holes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join