It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Do Black Holes Lead?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Black holes have an extremely strong gravitational pull. So strong that nothing can survive being sucked into it. But holes need to lead somewhere, don't they? Lets say that the gravitational pull of black holes was not so strong (about the same as Earths) and you could survive going into a black hole, what would you see? I think it would probably be nothing, just darkness. But if you were able to go to the other end of the black hole what would be there? Do they lead anywhere? Maybe they lead to the outside of the univere.

What about white holes? I heard that white holes may exist and they have the opposite effect of black holes. Instead of sucking stuff in they shoot things out. Could black holes be connected to white holes in another universe (if they exist)? What ever gets suck into the black hole gets spat out of a white hole in another universe. I know black holes crush what ever they suck in but what if when an object that got sucked in got reasemmble as it gets shot out of the white whole. Sort of like worm holes as an object goes from one universe to another.

[edit on 28-12-2005 by The_Truth_Seeker]

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Actually that is the going theory right now... that maybe somewhere in the universe there are whiteholes spitting everything the black hole sucks in.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Sorry, but White Holes are only a concept - there's no real math behind it. It's much more likely that matter is basically destroyed at it's reduced to 0-dimensions.

Black Holes need not lead anywhere. I think that the idea otherwise was kind of created by the wording of black "hole" - as in, "well what's on the other side?"

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a black hole is a body that is so dence that the gravitational pull sucks in all the matter that is within it gravitational well, its not a hole at all, it's a collapsed star. imagine it as a ball. a white hole?? a super nova perhaps, throwing out energy and matter!!

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I doubt we will ever know where a balck hole leads, at least not in our life times. Shame really.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The reason black holes are black is because the gravitational is so strong that the escape velocity of it is more than C, the speed of light. Matter just gets squished together almost to a single point. This is pretty much as much as we know, according to quantum mechanics and Heisenburgs (sp) uncertainty principal matter cannot occupy the same place so all of the mass in the black hole must go somewhere?

There cannot be a black hole with the gravity of the earth's pull, that would just be another planet, or hunk of mass.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I do not think we can describe the exact workings of a black hole with our scientific knowledge of today. Maybe when we learn more from other civilizations throughout the galaxy (or beyond) we will learn that our physics theories are not quite right or missing something. As far as we know, ET's travel well beyond the speed of light, but that is not possible with our E=mc2 theory.....and they do come here.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I've heard of something called an Einstein-Rosen bridge. This bridge is similar to a wormhole, and connects 2 blackholes.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarium
It's much more likely that matter is basically destroyed at it's reduced to 0-dimensions.

But Matter/ Energy cannot be destroyed

As for where do Black holes lead all we have is theories on that subject. White Holes may exist in some far off part of our universe which has already been suggested is one such theory. These White Holes would put out amazing amounts of energy which should be able to be detected from very far away (we havent found any yet). We have only searched the smallest fraction of the universe so I wouldnt rule it out just yet.

Another one that I like more is that Black Holes Punch a hole right through our dimension into another one. Theres alot of work being done with theories like M-theory with suggest a Multiverse made up of many different dimensions rather then just a Universe. These theories seem to add to the whole Black holes punching through our own dimension concept IMHO.

The other interesting thing about M-theory is that these other dimensions could have completely different laws of physics then those in our own universe. This could explain the strange contradiction to the laws of physics inside a Blackhole. If a blackhole was bridging the gap between two different dimensions with very different laws of Physics you could only expect strange things to happen.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 05:46 AM
link   
i have always been taught in science that black holes reduce size by compressing matter?

but that was atleast 10 years ago i'm sure theres more to it than just being compressed to smaller matter

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Black Holes compress matter but to a extent that modern physics cant explain. At the point of singularity it becomes a dimensionless point of
infinite density, that does not make much sense when you think about it. Its governed by physical laws that are not yet understood. No one really knows if an object drawn into the hole would smash into it, becoming part of it, or if it would somehow travel through it.

All we have is theories

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Black holes are suns in other realities......... suns in this reality are black holes in another reality.

Its a point of joining between two parralel realities.

Kind Regards
Merger

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Merger, I was accused of this sometime not long ago, and so I'll pass it on to you so someone else doesn't.

We have to be careful not to talk personal theories as if they were facts. Your theory that Suns and Black Holes in other universes/dimensions (which one are you refering to here?) is interesting, but I'm pretty positive that is not the case.

If it were, there would be stars that would suddenly just pop into existance... which would become stars from black holes (a black hole turning into a star?). Basically, it's a logical fallacy - the arguement doesn't make sense, as it would require things occuring in a backwards way, or for no particular reason at all.

So, if in another universe there was a super-massive star (18x the mass of the sun - which is sufficient for becoming a black hole), in this universe there would already be a black hole. Then, the super-massive star would collapse when it dies, becoming a black hole. By your theory, the black hole in our universe would become a star... and you have to admit, that this does not make sense.

It is more likely (but also improvable, and subject to the same logical fallacy) that a Black Hole has some kind of companion black hole in another universe - since the 4-dimensional barrier between the different universes would be drilled through. This might make black holes in both universes act strangely. On the other hand, perhaps they don't connect - and the hole does not distort space-time in a way that allows a bridge between universes.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Truth_Seeker
But holes need to lead somewhere, don't they?

A black hole isn't an actual physical hole.

Lets say that the gravitational pull of black holes was not so strong (about the same as Earths) and you could survive going into a black hole

Then it wouldn't be a black hole.

what would you see? I think it would probably be nothing, just darkness. But if you were able to go to the other end of the black hole what would be there?

There is no other end. A black 'hole' isn't a hole, its a point of incredibly intense and powerful gravity. People like to speculate that it could be so instence that it fold space up in some whacky way that actually leads to another dimension or whatever, but thats all very speculative.

shadowxix

Black holes don't destroy energy or matter, they simply lock it up inside the black hole for infinity. Of course, recently its been found that they emit whats now called Hawking Radiation.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Sorry if i came across as pointed and opinionated..... I do know that my posts come across as what i believe to be fact, so i apologise. I just don't know how to get the info out there other than this way.

I agree with most of what you said, however I've taken classes on the topic of Simultaneous existance, as well as hyperspace. THe tools in the hyperspace class allow me to 'travel' into simultaneous existances, and thus the knowledge i gained and also researched about suns/blackholes. Will do some more 'research' and post what I come up with if you like.....thanks for challenging my mind!

Kind Regards
Merger

Originally posted by Yarium
Merger, I was accused of this sometime not long ago, and so I'll pass it on to you so someone else doesn't.

We have to be careful not to talk personal theories as if they were facts. Your theory that Suns and Black Holes in other universes/dimensions (which one are you refering to here?) is interesting, but I'm pretty positive that is not the case.

If it were, there would be stars that would suddenly just pop into existance... which would become stars from black holes (a black hole turning into a star?). Basically, it's a logical fallacy - the arguement doesn't make sense, as it would require things occuring in a backwards way, or for no particular reason at all.

So, if in another universe there was a super-massive star (18x the mass of the sun - which is sufficient for becoming a black hole), in this universe there would already be a black hole. Then, the super-massive star would collapse when it dies, becoming a black hole. By your theory, the black hole in our universe would become a star... and you have to admit, that this does not make sense.

It is more likely (but also improvable, and subject to the same logical fallacy) that a Black Hole has some kind of companion black hole in another universe - since the 4-dimensional barrier between the different universes would be drilled through. This might make black holes in both universes act strangely. On the other hand, perhaps they don't connect - and the hole does not distort space-time in a way that allows a bridge between universes.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by The_Truth_Seeker
But holes need to lead somewhere, don't they?

A black hole isn't an actual physical hole.

Lets say that the gravitational pull of black holes was not so strong (about the same as Earths) and you could survive going into a black hole

Then it wouldn't be a black hole.

what would you see? I think it would probably be nothing, just darkness. But if you were able to go to the other end of the black hole what would be there?

There is no other end. A black 'hole' isn't a hole, its a point of incredibly intense and powerful gravity. People like to speculate that it could be so instence that it fold space up in some whacky way that actually leads to another dimension or whatever, but thats all very speculative.

shadowxix

Black holes don't destroy energy or matter, they simply lock it up inside the black hole for infinity. Of course, recently its been found that they emit whats now called Hawking Radiation.

You both raise interesting questions and convincing answers! I'd like to add this:

In theory, there is plenty you CAN do with a Black Hole which you can't do with a Star, mainly, skirting the Event Horizon and conducting gravitational experiments. Remember, Black Holes have no temperature! (ask Stephen Hawking)

Black Holes might as well be a real holes. Why? Consider if we squash our Sun into a ball of Black Hole Matter, it will be the size of Manhattan Island. Considering the amount of real estate lost, why not call it a hole? Okay, technically it's not a hole...

[edit on 29-12-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toelint
Black Holes might as well be a real holes. Why? Consider if we squash our Sun into a ball of Black Hole Matter, it will be the size of Manhattan Island. Considering the amount of real estate lost, why not call it a hole? Okay, technically it's not a hole...

[edit on 29-12-2005 by Toelint]

HAHAHA! Terrific!

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Could a Black Hole be the start of the big bang?
We have all these places sucking up all the things around them, move the time clock up (way up) and then they all start to feed off eachother. Could this happen?

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I heard that there is like a million black holes out there (as so they say , or was it 100.000
, sorry no source her) anyway , if we get sucked into (whitch could happen anytime ?) will we all die then ?

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Wow. Lot of misinformation from uninformed people in this thread. First of all, go to en.wikipedia.org... and read it.

Black holes obey the laws of thermodynamics and the laws of quantum mechanics. Thermodynamics would imply that black holes do have a temperate and since that temperate is greater than the surrounding space they give off (Hawking) radiation. For a long time it was believed that "information" going into a black hole was crushed/lost but not it is believed that information that enters a black hole ultimately leaves it by the previously mentioned Hawking radiation. Since black holes give off matter via Hawking radiation, a black hole that is not actively absorbing matter from its surroundings is actually decreasing in size. Given enough time, it will completely disappear. At some time in this process, the black hole will have exactly the same mass of the earth and then later me and then later a pencil and then eventually nothing. Essentially, a black hole can have any mass...even an earth sized mass. If you take the earth's mass and compress it down enough then you'll get a black hole. If you compress anything beyond its Schwarzschild radius (which depends on the object's mass) then it is a black hole. Some believe that the new Large Hadron Collider at CERN in Europe may be powerful enough to create miniature blackholes. Let's hope the current theory is correct which says that small black holes evaporate extremely quickly and aren't dangerous. As it happens, the way most black holes are formed is through the collapse of super-massive suns and it then takes these black holes trillions of years to reduce themselves to earth-sized masses. So, as a practical matter there probably aren't any earth-sized black holes but that doesn't mean that it isn't a theoretical possibility to have such a thing.

There is still a question of the structure of black holes beyond the event horizon. Is there really a singularity with infinite density and all the problaby that infinities cause? There's an interesting theory that there is a string degenerancy pressure just like a neutron degenerancy pressure and that this pressure prevents a singularity. Those who expouse this theory call them "fuzzballs" since they are a big ball of string whose diameter is equal to the classical event horizon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join