It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2006 PC... What is coming? please help me...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angelwithsoul
Thanks for the help... I'll get the Benq 23" then

If Vista is however required to play HD enabled media... How come I can watch Apple HD Movie Trailers with Quicktime? I find this rather strange... They would completely alienate the older Windows users and force them to upgrade... But you could be right... I wouldn't be suprised if it was true

No you DO NOT need vista for 1080p HiDef. You just need a beefy processor and a crapload of ram because Apples codec and media player sux.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Ah ok... Phew... I was afraid I wouldn't be able to buy my new PC now untill Vista would be released... Glad to hear I can buy my PC nonetheless and watch HDTV quality movies without Vista...

So...

New PC... A screen that can provide 1080p movie quality... I think I'm set...

Thanks for all the help everyone!

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Samsung is set to ship a consumer Blu-Ray player in April that will sell for about $1,000 versus about $500 for an HD-DVD player from Toshiba.

If the PC market goes the same way I think HD-DVD will win out over Blu-Ray.

theregister.co.uk

The BD-P1000 is scheduled to ship to the US for around $1000 - twice the price of Toshiba's entry-level HD DVD player. Senior Samsung staff claimed that's the result of last-minute price discounting to help make HD DVD appear more attractive to consumers. Whatever the reason, it's going to set a precedent that BD player makers are going to have to follow.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I'm excited about Vista...its being so long since a new OS release!

and I like what i'm seeing so far. and BTW, Theres no set in stone release date for windows vista, In Mister Gates' keynote at CES all he gave up was that it will be shippped this year.

Microsoft just updated the Vista site...check it out, it has a bunch of new info on it.
Microsoft Windows Vista

BTW...Are you sure you want Blu-Ray????? Personally i'm just sticking with dvd's until the whole war blows over. Since around the same time PS3 will come out with blu-ray, the Xbox 360 will have the ability for an external HD-DVD drive.

Oh, and "unknownOrgins" I highly goubt Vista needs a 256 meg vid card, I would guess 128...But who knows, its possible that it will be 64. (Any site that says its "such N' such" its just speculating as well...Microsoft has said they will not release Vista's mimimum requirements until summer of 06)

and one more thing...Have you seen Dells new smokin hot PC? (yeah, i know its overpriced.....but damn...she's lookin good.)

Dell introduced their XPS 600 Renegade during Michael Dell's keynote. You're immediately drawn to the custom painted case courtesy of Mike Lavallee from Killer Paint, but it's what inside that matters most. Fired by a factory overclocked Intel Extreme Edition running at 4.26GHz, the Renegade fully supports four graphics cards. To be more specific, those zippy cards are NVIDIA's GeForce 7800 SLI cards; two fit in the PCI-Express slots and two more are slaved from those, each with 512MB of memory. Can you say super high res at mucho frames per second? Storage is a non-issue as Dell planned ahead with one 10,000 RPM 150GB drive and two 250GB drives running at 7,200 RPM. Dell expects this custom hardware available by end of the month and we're looking at the $4,000 to $7,000 range, depending on options.

[edit on 6-1-2006 by Murcielago]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I've been following the CES news on Blu-ray... And I'm not sure I'm willing to pay 1000+ Euros on a Blu-Ray player... So I'm going to go with a Double Layer DVD Burner for now and upgrade when the price is lowered...

I mean... I'm willing to get a Blu-Ray drive... But not if the darn thing will cost me more then almost the whole PC! I'm not stupid

I guess I'll get everything I mentioned (A.K.A the latest of the latest) but settle with a slightly less superior disc drive and Windows XP... Then when those Blu-Rays are affordable and Windows Vista is out I'll upgrade a little

By the way... Thats a pretty cool Dell PC you found there... But 4000$!?... Thats a bit much don't you think?

[edit on 6-1-2006 by Angelwithsoul]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Sorry all... But I have to do it.

Specifications

2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5
16GB 533 DDR2 ECC SDRAM- 8x2GB
2x500GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
QUADRO FX 4500 512MB SDRAM
Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
AirPort Extreme + Bluetooth built-in
Apple USB Modem
16x SuperDrive DL (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Fibre Channel PCI Express Card (w/ SFP-SFP cable)
Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse - U.S. English
Mac OS X - U.S. English

All this for the one time low price of... $23,529!!!

This is my dream machine. Probably more power then I would "ever" need.
store.apple.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Holy .... thats an impressive system... But unfortunatly I do have spending limits... I can only go as high as 2500 Euros give or take a hundred

Ahwell... Perhaps maybe someday...

Wouldn't mind getting a Quad-core processor this summer though... I was going to get a 30" screen by the way... But I saw one in the electronics store here and it seemed a little oversized... So I went for the 23" instead... But now I fear I'll have to upgrade cause the resolution on this screen I'm using can't handle 1080p HDTV quality... There goes another 1500 Euros I guess... But first I got to buy the PC

So far I'm hoping for

Dual or Quad Core processor (nothing lower then 3Ghz)
500 GB Harddrive (at least)
4 GB DDR2 RAM
Geforce 8800 (if available)
7.1 Sound
DVD DL Burner (For the moment till the Blu-Ray - HD-DVD war is over)
Windows XP Pro (For the moment till Vista is released)
Arctic Silentium T2 PC Case with necessary components

Thats pretty much what I got on my mind right now...

However... The Arctic case only has 350V power or something... Should I get a case with 500V or something?

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

So far I'm hoping for

Dual or Quad Core processor (nothing lower then 3Ghz)
500 GB Harddrive (at least)
4 GB DDR2 RAM
Geforce 8800 (if available)
7.1 Sound
DVD DL Burner (For the moment till the Blu-Ray - HD-DVD war is over)
Windows XP Pro (For the moment till Vista is released)
Arctic Silentium T2 PC Case with necessary components

Thats pretty much what I got on my mind right now...

However... The Arctic case only has 350V power or something... Should I get a case with 500V or something?

350W isn't anywhere close to enough with all the components you want in there. Especially if you want a dual/quadcore processor along with the latest in video card technology, you'll definately want 500W at least. And also, 500GB hard drives might be pretty slow right now due to the large capacity, so you might want to look at a smaller SATA drive to go along with that to use for your operating system and use the 500GB for storage.

UO

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins
350W isn't anywhere close to enough with all the components you want in there. Especially if you want a dual/quadcore processor along with the latest in video card technology, you'll definately want 500W at least. And also, 500GB hard drives might be pretty slow right now due to the large capacity, so you might want to look at a smaller SATA drive to go along with that to use for your operating system and use the 500GB for storage.

Ah ok... I guess I'll have to look for another PC Case then... No problem there... Thanks for the advice... I already had problems with power failures on my current PC so I wasn't sure 350W would be enough... Largest power supply I think I've seen at the dealer I'm getting the PC at is 600W though...

I'll also get a SATA Harddrive then... I know I've seen those... Just didn't know for sure if they were faster...

So thanks for all the help you all can give me!

--- Edited cause the largest power supply I can get is 600W not 500W ---

[edit on 7-1-2006 by Angelwithsoul]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Ah ok... I guess I'll have to look for another PC Case then... No problem there... Thanks for the advice... I already had problems with power failures on my current PC so I wasn't sure 350W would be enough... Largest power supply I think I've seen at the dealer I'm getting the PC at is 600W though...

You should take a look at the Antec Sonata II case with 450 watt Power Supply.
I think it may be adequate for what you want.

You can always add a larger power supply later if it doesn't cut it.

Antec Sonata II ATX Case Review

I already have that one in my cart at Amazon, just waiting a week or two to buy it.

It has the 24 pin ATX connector that a lot of newer boards require and it's also backwards compatible with the 20 pin ATX connector motherboards.

EDIT: It also has serial ATA power connectors, which a lot of older stock power supplies don't have.

Whichever power supply you go with you should see if it has the SATA power connectors.

[edit on 7-1-2006 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
You should take a look at the Antec Sonata II case with 450 watt Power Supply.
I think it may be adequate for what you want.

You can always add a larger power supply later if it doesn't cut it.

Antec Sonata II ATX Case Review

I already have that one in my cart at Amazon, just waiting a week or two to buy it.

It has the 24 pin ATX connector that a lot of newer boards require and it's also backwards compative with the 20 pin ATX connector motherboards.

EDIT: It also has serial ATA power connectors, which a lot of older stock power supplies don't have.

Whichever power supply you go with you should see if it has the SATA power connectors.

Unfortunatly... My dealer doesn't sell that case... And I'm kind of dependent on my dealer with buying this PC...

He does however have an Atrix 9001 Case with 600W Power Supply... Would this be a good PC case... Or would 600W be overdoing it?

www.3btech.net...

That is a link to the PC Case... Not sure if it helps?

It's not a link to my dealer though... They don't display any more info then the product number and name of the case... no specs... That I get out of the dealer catalogue but it doesn't mention any "ATX connectors"

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Unfortunatly... My dealer doesn't sell that case... And I'm kind of dependent on my dealer with buying this PC...

He does however have an Atrix 9001 Case with 600W Power Supply... Would this be a good PC case... Or would 600W be overdoing it?

www.3btech.net...

That is a link to the PC Case... Not sure if it helps?

It's not a link to my dealer though... They don't display any more info then the product number and name of the case... no specs... That I get out of the dealer catalogue but it doesn't mention any "ATX connectors"

You need to make sure the power supply matches the board you are getting.
If the motherboard only has 24 pin ATX power connectors you need a power supply with 24 pin ATX power connectors.

The Antec case has a 24 pin motherboard connector that is backwards comatible with 20 motherboards and their newer standalone power supples are probably designed the same way. You'd need to get a hold of some detailed specs of whichever case/power supply you're looking at before you buy it.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
You need to make sure the power supply matches the board you are getting.
If the motherboard only has 24 pin ATX power connectors you need a power supply with 24 pin ATX power connectors.

The Antec case has a 24 pin motherboard connector that is backwards comatible with 20 motherboards and their newer standalone power supples are probably designed the same way. You'd need to get a hold of some detailed specs of whichever case/power supply you're looking at before you buy it.

Ok... I think I got it...

The case I mentioned has 20/24 pin

www.deltabyte.it...

Now I only need to find a motherboard at my dealer that also has 20 or 24 pin ATX connectors?

Edit: Found...

www.buyersedge.com...

Thats a description of the motherboard I found that the dealer is selling...

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Now I only need to find a motherboard at my dealer that also has 20 or 24 pin ATX connectors?

No, that one should do it.
The description sounds like it will accommodate either 20 pin motherboards or 24 pin motherboards. It also has SATA connectors.

IEEE 1394, SILENT 550W, SATA, 20/24pin, Thermal Solution, 12CM Silent Fan, 9 CM Silent fan, Digital Display

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
So this PC Case will do just fine I guess?

OK... Thats another thing I don't have to worry about...

I guess I'm just about ready... for now

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
(Sorry to reply to my own post once again, But considering this is a question concerning 2006 PC technology I thought I'd post it here instead of making a new thread...)

Does anyone here have a clue on when the Nvidia G80 (Geforce 8 Series?) gets released...

And also... Are there any more preview videos of the DirectX10 capability other then the Farcry video??? Cause I can't seem to find em, But maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place :-/

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I remember reading a month or so ago that the GeForce 8 series is due for relase sometime in the second half of 2006. Reason being is that nVidia is focusing on the mid and entry level GeForce 7 series releases (7200 and 7600) in the next few months.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Nvidia is also focusing on their new QUAD Sli technology

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Hmmm... That means I'll probably have to stall on getting that new PC... I'm not going to buy a 7800 in July and witness a way better version release just a few months later... Already happened to me once... Ain't going to happen again

Ahwell... Guess it'll give me more time to save up some cash...

By the way... Anyone got an answer on the directX10 question?... I'd really like to see more of those graphics other then that way to cool Farcry demo...

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Hi, im thking about buying new computer for mainly CAD/MAX use..
Anybody knows which graphic card will be better for me?

Quadro 4400G seems quite costly..but surely suitable for CAD/MAX..My uni studio computers have this graphic cards.

Nvidia Geforce 7800 gtx...is unlocking the geforce graphic card gonna make it as fast as Quadro?..since 2 of Geforce 7800 is cheaper than Quadro..i was open to buying 2 7800 gtx instead of 1 quadro..

Anybody can help me with this?? Is there any benchmark on these 2?

Other relative advises on other components are surely welcomed...

help me out guys..

[edit on 2-2-2006 by handrake21]

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join