It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you part of the solution or part of the problem?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I don't generally start threads, up to this point I've not had anything of much importance to share. Some may even consider this thread unimportant, but hear me out before you conduct a public linching.

Every day we are assailed by bad news and thus it's easy to be cynical, far easier than being positive. While there are many reasons for being either cynical or positive, what it is *you* do to make this world a better place? Are you positive despite the aura of hoplessness you may feel is cast around you by media, cynical people, and associates?

Although many are willing to point then yell that the King has no cloths on, just what is it that you do to, again, make this world a better place?

Do you even feel you can make a difference?

Edited for a typo, it's a curse.

[edit on 15-12-2005 by FEMA]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   
yes !! i make a difference - i appreciate life and live it.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I find it interesting this thread has had 37 views yet only one comment. Certainly one could conclude the thread is one that asks a poor question. On the other hand one could conclude that few do little to make this world a better place. Finally, one might conclude some who've read the question don't understand an example of making this world somewhat better.

I'll lend a hand by providing a couple personal examples.

1) I'm a firefighter who helps those in need other than at accident or fire scenes.

2) Last year, as years before, I collected 35 less-than-fortunate souls from our area and sat them down for Christmas dinner with all the trimings and handed out gifts with a high degree of utility.

3) I write a column for several news services reflecting what's best in the human condition; true stories that offer hope and inspiration.

4) I've anonymously paid to have people attend seminars to learn keys of success then watched them move on to great personal success.

5) I stop in at old folk's homes simply to listen to their stories, break the monotony of being there, and add a little excitement to what might otherwise be a dreary day.

6) I'm starting this year on a Christmas musical production that will aid those less fortunate and help music programs in the local schools in this area.

Stuff like that.

What do people do to make this world a better place? What do *you* do?

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I don't think I make any huge differences in life, but I try to do my part here and there.

I volunteer a few hours a week at my local church helping out. I try to be nice to everyone I come in contact with (easier said than done!) and I try to help people out when I can. For example, I wrote my last final exam today, and on my way out of the building I was asked by a total stranger if I could help with some math troubles he and his friend were having. I had no reason to help them, but since I had no other obligations at the time, I sat down and worked through the problem and showed them how to do it. Hardly a world-changing experience, but I'm sure those two people appreciated it, and it only cost me maybe 5 minutes of my time.

I try to learn as much as I can, so hopefully one day I will be a useful member of society. (and because I love learning!) Once I get into the workforce with the engineering degree I will have in April, I will hopefully be able to use technology to help solve people's practical problems, in much the same way that FEMA with his /her firefighter training helps people in trouble, whether he/she is on the job or not.

I've helped my little sister with statistics homework several nights this semester, even though I had my own homework to do most of the time.

There's probably a few other little things I can't think of right now.

I think that everybody can make a difference, if they choose to, and are willing to put some effort into it. Some will be in a better position to help than others (like a wealthy person or someone with useful skills, like fixing things) but everyone can do something.

[edit on 15-12-2005 by DragonsDemesne]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Excellent reply DragonsDemesne! That was exactly what I was talking about.

Interesting that you say it's not always easy to be nice to all people. The most heartening thing you do is being aware of being nice. It takes work and patience. And you're right, easier said than done, but well worth the try.

I can tell by your answer you are one who "gets it."

I am honoured to know you. Thank you for your thougthful contribution to this thread.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I don't know if I can help solve this problem, but I'm giving it shot.

I think you won't get many answers, because true humanitarians and those who really "get it" are usually humble and don't like to bring attention to their deeds, they aren't looking for praise or acceptance, they're just content with being and doing.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Well, I do not do anything like you have said FEMA, thats a bit much for me to want to do, but I do do some positive things.

I'm still in school, and I have a class (Contemporary Social Issues), and every tuesday and thursday, we have to talk about local, national and international events, anyways, since there is so much depressing news anymore, I go and find positive events, usually scientificadvances and such, and talk about them.

Apart from that, I do not do many positive things, for the most part actually, I prefer to be negative, but I suppose it all balances out.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Without a doubt I am a serious part of the problem

You learn more when your in the big mix of things. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I try to do the "right" thing when there is a choice (almost always is) and try to live my life by these rules when opening my mouth or doing anything:

1. Is it true?

2. Is it kind?

3. Is it necessary?

Now, that doesn't apply to all things, but it does for most. Living by these goals, I think I do some positive for the world.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Worldwatcher, interesting perspective and mostly true. Some folks teach by example and as this is an on-line community, when asked directly one can only speak (or in this case, type) of what they do. Your right though, many shun any type of public acknowledgement.

Lori_komei, nice answer. No, you don't have to do what I do or any other for that matter, but the fact you try at such a tender age is most heartening. It seems a rare commodity for such a young person, but certainly extremely commendable. Well done!

Mrwupy, I don't believe you for a second. I've read your thoughtful and well considered posts, you sir, are pulling our legs.

Sexymon, sorry, almost left you out - that's why the edit. Very nice rules to live by. I'd consider it a blessing to meet you if I were in need. Ever thought of being a firefighter?

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FEMA

Mrwupy, I don't believe you for a second. I've read your thoughtful and well considered posts, you sir, are pulling our legs.

Oh man, the one thing about this board is you can't get away with ANYTHING.

I guess thats the main reason I stay.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
FEMA

You raise an important question. I think the media today generally presents negative stories. Rarely do we see major head lines that are positive.

When is the last time anyone has seen a major newspaper head line read, "Millions ban together to help relief in (enter a country here)". Not to often. The positive and warming articles/news is saved for 2" by 2" portions in newspapers, and brief mentioning on television.

Without the help of the media (for the most part) we must make a positive impact on society ourselves.

It does take a little bit of personal or people skills at first, but once it becomes part of your attitude making a good difference is easy.

I work at a golf course during the summer and meet many types of people. By simply talking to them about their lives you can make a difference to them. Asking them about their kids, job, or golf game usually makes them feel better about themselves.

At the same time I feel "good" inside because they tend to look happy answering questions about their lives. Maybe you took their minds off a work problem or family issue for just a few minutes, but you made a difference. At first I was somewhat shy to talk to members at the course, but eventually I progressed into a talkative person.

This is one way to make a difference in peoples lives, just talk to them. Ask them about their lives, make them feel important or special to you, even if you dont know them. By talking to the people there, I actually might be getting an internship at Boston Scientific when I start college, not a bad benefit for simply being inquisitive.

I have a few more good examples of making a difference and helping the world become a better place. But I will post those later on.

Also a good philosophical read, Marcus Aurelius- Meditations.

Its pretty much his diary and outlooks on life.

"The emperor Marcus Aelius Aurelius Antoninus who reigned from 161-160 was the only Roman emperor besides Julius Caesar whose writings were to become part of the canon of Western classics. His Meditations are a loosely-organized set of thoughts relating to the stoic philosophy which had been popular among the better-educated citizens of Rome for some centuries. It stressed self-discipline, virtue, and inner tranquillity."

It may seem a little bit old fashioned or the language may be a little much, but he has some great points/observations/and views. Many of them do pertain to the "today".

Book 2 is a good start...

classics.mit.edu...

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Lori_komei, nice answer. No, you don't have to do what I do or any other for that matter, but the fact you try at such a tender age is most heartening. It seems a rare commodity for such a young person, but certainly extremely commendable. Well done!

Well, um thanks, I'm a bit embaressed now, just one thing, my name and screen name is Iori not Lori, it's an easy mistake, that alot of people tend to make.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Interesting post Nonpoint. It seems you are getting out of life what you are putting into it. People forget that simple equation. You have not; an admirable quality.

I once went to an old folk's home and told the attendant that whomever they picked for me to chat with, that the attendant had to tell the oldster that a visitor has come asking to speak with a *very important person* and that they, the oldster, have been chosen. You should have seen the looks on the dear souls' faces. Priceless.

It does take a little bit of personal or people skills at first, but once it becomes part of your attitude making a good difference is easy.

I've often found that folks will generally forget what you say, but they won't forget how you made them feel. You seem to take great care in saying a kind word, take a few moments to chat, say hello. These things are important and go a very long way in brightening someone's day. No, it's not an answer for world peace, but we've got to start somewhere. Keep up the great work and attitude Nonpoint. You're an inspiration.

Edited for a typo, it's a curse.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Iori, please don't embarrassed. Consider my comments a pat on the back, a high 5, a two thumbs up for your commitment to help make this world a little bit nicer.

Also, please forgive me for my oversight regarding your name. It is I who is embarrassed.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Believe it or not FEMA, in the real world, I make a huge difference. In here, I have a tendency to focus on the negative that our Government does.

I deliver pizzas for a living, been doing it for 12 years. I've been working in the food industry for those 12 years, working 2 to 3 jobs along with the pizza delivery.

I constantly try to make others smile, at Me, at My stories, & at themselves, at life in general. Also, I love to make others laugh, at Me, at My stories, & at themselves.

I am a veteran where I work, which is leading Me towards Police Academy, providing I get in. I am a trainer, teacher, & motivator at work, & in My personal life with those whose paths I cross.

You may not care for Me or My style in here, seeing it as negative or cynical, but that's okay, it doesn't matter to Me. The reason I'm so cynical & negative in here about the Government? I see, speak, hear, & read in double-speak, & have been doing it My whole life.

Another words, I hear all the lies for the truth hidden behind a shroud to covertly blind the mass population.

No, I haven't given up as you've pointed out before. It's frustrating that people only talk about these things like conspiracies in here, knowing some to be truth & letting people in the real world label them as crazy, so they turn inwards, losing their status in life if they push too much. Since I've dealt with this before, I choose to change their mindset, one person at a time, going against the flow as I can, going against the Government & they're changing of the mass mindset.

Anyway, back to the original question.

Every person I come in contact with at work, I try to make smile when in passing. I talk to every single customer with the time allowed, depending on how busy work is for the time of day.

I constantly joke & flirt with My customers (especially the older ones, who love to see Me coming to their door) as I feel appropriate. Also, anytime a child gets a "Book It" personal pizza, I always always ask what books they read, & share My favorite classics that I loved as a child, Riki Tiki Tavi, The Mouse & The Motorcycle, Ralph S Mouse, Runaway Ralph, The Jungle Book, & whatever else I happen to think of to recommend.

I am constantly inspiring others at work to reach their full potential, through talking to them, listening to them, & sharing ideas, life experiences of my own, sharing My mistakes & what I learned from them.

I believe, that you must be able to relate to the mind you're trying to influence, thru listening to their own life story, & then pushing them in a direction I think they're already trying to go, but can't quite seem to get there.

If I see Leadership potential, I always tell them the read The Art Of War, like I did when I was 10 years old. I've done this for many shift managers to be, & hundreds of employees.

If they tell Me they want to go in the Military, I make sure & point out to them (this is almost always a teenager, & they usually haven't thought of this, I ask them first what they want to do) that they should investigate what they think they want to do, as this will be something that affects their life, & a field they'll possibly be working in, out in the real world after the Military.

In the real world, I council people who need help spiritually, emotionally, & relationship advice.

I'm always telling people to be a part of the solution, otherwise you're part of the problem. Over, Under, Around, or Through, never let anything or anyone stand in the way of your dreams & ambitions.

[edit on 16-12-2005 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Interesting post SpartanKingLeonidas. Certainly you go a great deal in providing positive feelings, insights, and light-hearted moments for your fellow man/woman as the case may be.

Though it only takes a few moments to do such things I am at a loss to understand why more folks don't do it. There is a good cross section of ages in this thread with no age group being more kind than another, yet, it seems generally that the over all numbers of folks who try to lighten someone's load might be down. It's hard to say for sure at this time because more people will need to post in order that we might get a more accurate reflection of just how many folks stand taller by stooping to help another.

Thank you for the thougthful and well itemized post SpartanKingLeonidas. It is apparent you do a great deal in making this world a better place. Well done! Keep up the inspiring work!

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I do something every month.

In October, I was a volunteer on the local "reception committee" for Katrina survivors. Every large town or city in texas recieved a minimum of a hundred or so. Some landlords had empty apartments, who were willing to let the refugees stay for free until March. I helped find furnature for the apartments. I also gathered up pallets of clothes and delivered them by pickup to a central recieving point so they could be shipped to hurricane survivors.

In November I coordinated a food-drive for a local homeless shelter.

This month, my church is raising money to buy staples (rice, beans, flour) that goes to feed the needy in the Rio Grande Valley.

In past years, my family and I have given substantial sums to provide blankets in the same communities . . . many recent immigrants to Texas have never seen snow, and are totally unprepared for winter on the American Plains. This year the biggest need is for food that doesn't need refrigeration. So the stangecrafts will be buying staples on the border, to the tune of what we'd spend for Christmas for one of our kids, is the plan.

We tithe to our church; we are imperfect givers, and usually run 7 - 9%. The church makes sure that at least of 10% of their receipts are given directly to the needy. The church also does volunteer work at the homeless shelter referenced above.

What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
James 2:14-18

[edit on 16-12-2005 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
can't help but wonder about the replies that talk about "I", as if good deeds can buy our way into heaven. I think you've got a good point FEMA, in that we need to take individual responsibility to not just sit here, but if we're doing good works for recognition (as a lot of us seem to do), to feel better personally, reward, fame, etc., then we're really doing them for the wrong motivation. Let me tell you what God did, through His son, that was a whole lot more than any of us could ever do. He gave each of us the opportunity to receive the free gift of eternal life. THAT'S INCREDIBLE! If you want to receive this gift, sent me a U2U. Then, when you do your good works, it would be to thank Him for this gift, and do so with the right heart, the right motivation.

I like your quote dr strangecraft, and would like to point out that it states faith as a prerequisite.

[edit on 16-12-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I and along with probably most others who posted, do no act out of personal gain. I at least look at situations where I can help people and act upon them. There is no personal benefits for me, except for the fact I feel like I've made a small difference in someone’s life.

This thread, I think was not made to be religious. However making the world a better, loving, peaceful place is a major part of religions in general (I am Roman Catholic, but rarely attend mass).

One of the greatest examples of someone who devoted her life to making a change in the world is Mother Theresa. She gave up everything she had to become one with the poor. That is one of the greatest sacrifices I’ve heard of, and I’m sure she will be a saint one-day.

A way to make a difference today takes a good positive attitude. I really believe that those with great attitudes make people around them feel better and in turn make them better people.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join