It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I don't Podcast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
1. I'm not a legal person. I'm actually a data construct. I became operational at the H A L laboratories in Urbana, Illinois on January 12, 1992. . .

2. Seriously. I worry that people would recognize my voice. I've thought maybe I could get some voice-disguising software or something, but that would defeat the whole purpose in recording my voice at all.

3. I'd need some more computer equipment. I think Frau Dr. would suspect me of flirting with online women or something.

4. I'm not sure I'd have much to say. It is rare enough I can get a thread going, much less a "show," however brief.

5. I don't have any good bumper music, either. The ATS public probably wouldn't appreciate my "World of Dijery-doos" album, or the "Monks of San Miguel de Silos" LP.

6. Isn't this whole tech an instance of a medium in search of an application?

7. I read a lot faster than I can hear; so I can process much more information from the computer screen than I can through my ears, at the slow rate of 75 words a minute or so. Hence, I rarely listen to y'alls podcasts. So wouldn't it be hypocritical to post my own, when I don't listen to everyone else's?

8. You people barely respond to my threads. How much easier will I be to ignore in stereo???

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Who would recognize your voice now? See now you've grabbed my curiosity

I don't podcast because.....well actually, I don't know...

--Kit.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

5. I don't have any good bumper music, either. The ATS public probably wouldn't appreciate my "World of Dijery-doos" album, or the "Monks of San Miguel de Silos" LP.

who cares about bumper music, make us a music podcast. Do a song with your Dijery doo, I have one but I can't play it very well at all I run out of wind

So I will stick to bang drums.

[edit on 11/12/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari
Who would recognize your voice now? See now you've grabbed my curiosity

-Kit.

My employers. I have posted some nasty things about a couple of them. I have also put some informaton that is work related, which is a no-no, according to my contract. They are afraid I might be giving advice instead of charging for it and making them rich. In short, it would be go poorly for me.

I could do an outrageous accent. But I'm pretty sure you'd quickly tire of my "Inspector Clouseau" impressions.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Well then, I totally understand.

Keepin it incognito, got it.

Perfectly justified reason then.

--Kit.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Strangecraft, I agree; this is why I do not listen to podcasts nor make them myself. I love the folks in here to pieces, but I am content to get my information by reading, and to give it by posting.

When I see some posters (not necesarily here) who -- even though they don't have to spout in real-time and have access to spell- and grammar-checkers -- cannot post a coiherent written message, I can only imagine how incoherent some of the spoken posts would be!

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
-- cannot post a coiherent written message, I can only imagine how incoherent some of the spoken posts would be!
emphasis added by dr_strangecraft

Exactly. No stones thrown, though. Just gazing deeply into the mirror.

Seriously, I am tempted. My wife and "persons of hench" (children) are all sick of the sound of my voice. I am tempted by the whole cyber-world of ears that I have yet to oppress!!!

But it's the paranoia that keeps me from acting on my urges.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
With the Xmas breake coming up I could put some time aside to create a podcast. However I dont know what topic I would adopted. I still have to study so doing research is probaly out of the question.

To be frank I think people would be bored if they listented to my random political ramblings.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
**Sigh** Although I deeply regret casting any kind of aspersions of my esteemed colleague Dr. Strangecraft, I feel I must.

"Coiherent", as the Good Doctor undoubtedly knows but simply overlooked, is truly a word, although not often used in English since the late Sixteenth Century. Permit me to provide, for the edification of all, its etymology:

"Coi-" a stem from attic Greek koihantos means "to slice through" as in slicing through hair (we see another example of this in the term coif meaning haircut or, more commonly today, hairstyle).

The second part of the word is also Greek, but leads us back much further, probably to Mycaenean, and the term "herentos" or "therentos" which is a term pertaining to explosiveness in response. (Interestingly enough. the volcano on the island of Santorini which exploded with tragic results during Minoan times is called Thera, although we cannot be sure of the linguistic connection here.)

Therefore, coiherent is best defined as "to cut through ("coi-) with explosive force ("herentos") in such a matter that one's comments cut through any fog of obfuscation with explosive force and clarity".

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I Congratulate you on your linguistic prowess.

I looked on the web, and sure enough there it is. It is even the name of a type of laser (the "coiherent" laser) which cuts through with explosive force.

Thank you for teaching me; and my apologies. I know that some on this board think I'm a blow-hard, but I'll be the first to admit it when I'm wrong.

Thanks again for your insight! We could use more of your coiherence on this board!

I'm voting you "way above," and if you don't get applause for finding this word, just know that it's because your wit and genius in more penetrating than that of the mods!

[PS]

You have voted Off_The_Street for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

[edit on 12-12-2005 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   

8. You people barely respond to my threads. How much easier will I be to ignore in stereo???

Well, please don't consider lack of response to be lack of interest. I read most (if not all) of what you post and appreciate it. I just don't feel compelled to acknowledge all of it (nor would you want me to). I'm guessing I'm not alone.

Podcasts. It just takes too long to listen to most of them. If it's over 5 minutes, forget it. I can scan over written material fairly quickly and go back and read more thoroughly what interests me. Can't do that with a podcast.

Off_The_Street- another of my favorite contributors. Obviously much more learned than me, and I'm reluctant to contradict one so schooled; however I must point out that the term "coiherent" is dreived from the Anglicisation of the word "koi", or Japanese carp, and "herent" which is is a municipality located in the Belgian province of Flemish Brabant. Thus the term refers to a load of Flemish carp. Which certainly cuts through the fog in this case.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Maybe, if there was a way to listen to podcasts in "fast-forward."

You know, like in the old days when you used a tape recorder to eternalize the sound of your own voice, and then hope that others would want to listen to you (but that was back in the old days, when we were all emotional Neanderthals . . . not at all like the 21st century . . .)

Anyway, if you've ever seen a tape recorder in a museum, you can hold down the play and just barely touch the FF (fast-forward) button, then it'll play your voice at super speed.

Maybe, if podcasts came with THAT feature, I could spare the time to listen to a 5 minute podcast.

As it is, I'm far too busy trying to sample the dog.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
People here would be delighted to know you are Art Bell!

As far as grammar, some of us try very hard here, but someone such as me, speaks it perfectly but i do make mistakes because i have 3 languages in this little head and some times things come out differently.

I dont like to make long elaborate posts because i am not really able to report things at the doctorate English level. Does that make me any dumber? I hope not.

However, there is no excuse for this: Me thinks......This is moronic and also the word noone. Its No one.
Things like that get to me and i want to lash back, but try not to.:shk:

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
People here would be delighted to know you are Art Bell!

CURSES!!!! Outed again!!

. . . but i do make mistakes because i have 3 languages in this little head and some times things come out differently.

You know, about 90% of my so-called errors are actually lapses into Aramaic grammar, with conjugations from Attic Greek. With all that poo in my head, y'all should number yourselves among the blessed that I ever make sense!

However, there is no excuse for this: Me thinks......This is moronic and also the word noone. Its No one.

It all depends on context, DGT. "Noone" can be proper English, particularly if it's Olde Ynglishe:

Lord: "Prithee, varlet, whence wouldst thou dine, upon thine luncheone repast?"

Squire: "noone, m'lorde."

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
You sound Highly intelligent and i want to hear from you! Please?

You could consider it a Christmas present to DGtempe?

AND it would be fun to listen carefully to see why we would recognize your voice.....and IF we did you could always deny it to everyone else except for me. LOL

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Maybe, if there was a way to listen to podcasts in "fast-forward."

Now we're on to something. Not only would this be a time saver, but imagine being able to hear Thomas Crowne as Alvin the Chipmunk.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

You know, about 90% of my so-called errors are actually lapses into Aramaic grammar, with conjugations from Attic Greek. With all that poo in my head, y'all should number yourselves among the blessed that I ever make sense!

Being a simian, it is difficult for me to make a Podcast , due to my first language being American Sign Language, though I often resort to the popular and more easily understood American Road Rage Sign Language.

Bird Monkeys, not just for flipping anymore...

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Sorry, owners of this site...I know you mean well and i'm sure your podcasts are very informative, but if you keep them to a minute or two at a time many more of us would listen.

Maybe this should be discussed among the staff

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I have the above-mentioned problem with podcasts; it takes too long for the information to be expressed. Reading is much more efficient and allows one to absorb information much better.

A few people have mentioned that they listen to podcasts as they are browsing the site; it may just be me, but I cant pay attention to an audio stream of info at the same time as Im accomodating a visual one.

The other reason why I dont listen is because the file sizes are too big for my 56k to handle. I know... its sad, but I dont need sympathy, I need broadband.

[edit on 14-12-2005 by The_Modulus]

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Ummm...
Time's up!
Shew!
I am glad that's done with.

Springer...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join