It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cell phones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Hello, I am pretty laid back most of the time, but if I see someone yapping on a cell phone, I get enraged. I just want to beat them over the head with their phone.

It used to be just seeing soccer moms in their escalades yapping away in a 2 1/2 ton death machine was enough to get my blood to boil. Now it is anywhere, be it a store, a restaurant, or some tool walking down the street, I see it and Im pissed.

What is so danged important? Are they so lonely that they need attention? I mean come on, cram it up yer butt and live your life already.
I really want to buy one of those scramblers and fry any phone in a 30 meter perimeter of me. Evil evil evil invention. I am also fed up with the lame excuse...what if I break down somewhere? I may have broken down once in ten years. Even then one can find a phone pretty much anywhere.

Perhaps I am too harsh, but I am feeling invaded and I fear I may lash out soon. Go away phones

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Cell phones do have there place in the scheme of things ... but I totally agree that in a drivers hands and at their ear is NOT one of them. Neither is anytime you are in public ... it shows not only disrespect but a total lack of manners IMHO.

Actually, while managing a convenience store, I refused to wait on a customer because he was talking on a cell phone and just pointing.

While standing at the register, he pointed to the wall behind me ... I turned and looked...turned back around and said "Those are cigarettes". Still talking on the phone, he then took a pack of Camels out of his pocket to show me ... I said "Yes, those are cigarettes too." When he held up one finger and pointed at the pack of Camels is when I went into total pi**ed off mode and looked him straight in the eye and said "When you treat the people... that are here to serve you ... with respect and give them your undivided attention (without the phone at your ear) we will do our job. Until then please step aside and let me wait on someone who has some manners." I believe he was in total shock because he hung up the phone without saying another word into it and .... APOLOGISED !!!! After that time he never once came into the store talking on the phone. (but he did come in ... daily) and always had a smile for whoever was behind the counter.

The moral to this story is ... make your feelings known without going into a rage and just MAYBE 1 person will pay attention. Of course, the one's that are behind a wheel still enrage me 'cause there's no way to get their attention without slamming into them.
Which I'm truly tempted to do occasionally!

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
meeh....

As unhealthy as it is to constantly use and abuse your cell phone, it's equally unhealthy to loathe every person who uses one...

Responsibility goes a bit deeper then the manner in which you communicate...

First impressions are highly overrated....

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I hate going to the grocery and getting behind someone just chit-chatting away on their cell phones without a care in the world. And then the cashier gets done ringing up all of their items:

Clerk: That will be $87.64

Cell Phone User: Excuse me?

Clerk: That will be $87.64

Cell Phone User: Do you take checks?

And then they start digging in their purse and start writting out a check. Where if they would have had any courtesy for the other people in line they would have the check allready made out.

[edit on 11/28/2005 by Classified Info]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I'm kind of wondering how that relates to cell phones though...

Seems more like an issue with multitasking or productivity...

Who's to say if that person put down their cell phone that they could actually concentrate on the task-at-hand well enough to speed things along??

The cell phone may indeed be an accomplice, but it is never the actual culprit....

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Cellphones are a device of the Devil...ooops sorry that was uncalled for. I mean really, its not the cellphones fault that people are so rude as to have their arguments with their insignificant other while in a resturant, or in the checkout line in the grocery store. It's not the cellphones fault that morons drive their big honkin' red dodge ram pickups through a red light and nearly T-bone me in my little teeny tiny Oldsmobile. No, not at all. It's the utter and complete lack of common courtisy (canna spell) on the part of their users

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I only have a cell phone for emergencies. I have 4 kids in school and may need to be contacted for one of them. Other than That I barely use it.

I dont get people who go mad about their cellphones (my mum is one of them) downloading pictures and ringtones and subscribing to this, that and the other.

Quite frankly I think its sad. As long as I can make a call and recieve one on my phone then I am happy.

Altho I asked for a new onw for christmas coz I wanted a pink one but thats just the girly in me

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
One thing I hate is people calling over cellphone who get irritated when you make them repeat what they said because of bad reception. They start to get rude with you when the flow of the conversation does not go as smooth as on regular phone line. I hate that.

For some reason those people fail to realize that a cellphone is just that, a radio transmitter. If the cops and firefighters have to repeat almost everything they say twice over their $7000 mobile radios, how much more quality can you expect from a tiny $20 cellphone? Oh, well.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I was in France over the summer, and we were in the train (i have nothing against french people), and every f'''''g 3 minutes, we would hear this loud annoying ringtone going off. and these people are far from quiet. they talk loud. just makes me want to go

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
My parents have cellphones... for emergencies only. They use them like once every two months. That's the only time I find it acceptable. It's annoying and rude most of the time when people use them. I take time to meet with someone or help them for no benefit other than being nice and they get a phone call in the middle of it and I have to sit for 20 minutes while they talk on the phone outside.

Or I'm standing in line and someone is yammering away on the phone as loud as they can as if they were sitting at home.

:bnghd:

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
This PDF. is a must have, to share with our rude friends.

www.coudal.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I hate them too, especially when people are just walking down the street with the hands-free headphones and microphone apparently just talking to themselves.

Nowadays it's impossible to tell who's really crazy, everyone looks like they're talking to themselves!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadow watcher
Hello, I am pretty laid back most of the time, but if I see someone yapping on a cell phone, I get enraged. I just want to beat them over the head with their phone.

It used to be just seeing soccer moms in their escalades yapping away in a 2 1/2 ton death machine was enough to get my blood to boil. Now it is anywhere, be it a store, a restaurant, or some tool walking down the street, I see it and Im pissed.

What is so danged important? Are they so lonely that they need attention? I mean come on, cram it up yer butt and live your life already.
I really want to buy one of those scramblers and fry any phone in a 30 meter perimeter of me. Evil evil evil invention. I am also fed up with the lame excuse...what if I break down somewhere? I may have broken down once in ten years. Even then one can find a phone pretty much anywhere.

Perhaps I am too harsh, but I am feeling invaded and I fear I may lash out soon. Go away phones

I just want to say that I'm in 110% agreement with you! (I guess that extra 10 comes from your post being 7 or so years old and I'm guessing it's gotten a whole lot worse since then!).

I don't own a cell phone. I don't own a smart phone. I don't own a laptop. I don't own any such wireless communication #box. Maybe I've matured since the 1980s, maybe I've grown up. I certainly no longer need the "latest and greatest" toys on the market anymore. Advertisers are ramming these things down peoples' throats Everywhere, and they are constantly becoming fancier, more expensive, and instantly outdated. I don't want to become another pawn of these Capitalist money-grabbers. I have never followed fads. In the 80's I never even owned a Nintendo. In the 70's I never owned a Pet Rock. Get it? Today, these phones (smart or otherwise) are being employed as status symbols, flashed around everywhere you go. They are badges of honor. The bottom line though is that They're Not Necessary. In addition to this, they can be Dangerous.

I Don't Need A Portable Phone! They've become signs of our elitist generation of yuppies who Need to be in Constant Communication with somebody. When I was a kid, these people were called Chatterboxes and were frequently made fun of. Guess what, today it is the Norm among Americans. I don't want to become like them. Nor do I even understand how people can constantly yap away all the time, talking about absolutely mundane bull#, hour after hour, day after day. Rude, self-centered, dickheads. Each one can take their cell and go to hell. I certainly have better things to do with my time, like sit back and read a good book (a Real book of paper pages!), feed my squirrels, or simply enjoy a good meal. It's convenient, they say, not having to go to a pay phone. Convenience? My favorite retalitory counter-example to this is if I were to invent something we'll call a cell buttbelt. I've just had a good meal, so let's do something with it... Let's say the buttbelt is a contrivance you'd wear below your waist that wraps around your ass and penis (and indeed encloses them) so you'd need not be Inconvenienced by having to seek out rest rooms when you need to excrete. Instead the cell buttbelt absorbs your solid and liquid waste materials whenever and wherever you are, allowing you to eat and excrete conveniently at the same time. Other manufactuers will come out with their own, of different styles and designs, different colors, and users will be encouraged to download unique "flush tunes," as well as a myriad of liquid solutions they can plug into it to dissipate smells and so on. Some manufactuers will take the next step and feature built-in anal washing mechanics, while a more expensive "for adults only" model will take extra good care of the frontpiece with an auto masturbation feature for men. Another add-on transforms it into a talking toilet, telling you when to replace a filter and add fluids, with a variety of different voice cartridges to choose from; so one sounds like Darth Vader, another a Teletubbie, another Sandra Bullock etc. So now you have all these people running around farting and dumping in themselves, some looking unusually happy, and showing off their cute logo-emblazed ass plates and what have you. Instead of yap-yap-yap you'll be hearing fart-fart-fart whever you go--no, make that in Conjunction with yap-yap-yap since it Frees them up to do all the more verbal and anal excreting Simultaneously. I don't find either cell or ass gizmo to be acceptable in public, regardless of the "convenience" it may allow.

The Attitude of these people disgusts me! Yap-yap-yap. Another phone rings ("rings" being used loosely, as each one has its own ring tone which is more obnoxious than the previous). Yap-yap-yap. "Oh, I'm here in front of this building. There's cars moving over there. I can see the sun." Yeah, and I hope your brain gets slow-cooked by the nearest microwave mast, Airhead, so we don't have to hear any more of these idiotic observations and pointless drivel. They do it all day long, talking, taking calls, making calls. Some walk around in circles outside for no damned reason but to Talk Talk Talk like zombies. In a diner while they're ordering their meal and while they're eating it, they're talking into the things. In the supermarket as they pay for their gorceries and while they're shopping, they're talking into the things. While they walk to and from their mail boxes, they're talking into the things. I often wonder what would happen if someone tried to take away their yapboxes--would they go nutso on me or just drop dead as though someone pulled the plug on their life support system, or cut the strings on a puppet? Because they certainly act as though they can't live without these toys. I pray for a nice solar flare to fry telecom satellites so their phones become useless. Even that probably won't stop 'em, but it might motive their brains to start working. While they walk, while they drive (it's supposed to be illegal but I never see anyone getting stopped for it--because the police do it and their families and friends do it so therefore it's Okay to do it! Can't have Officer Bill pull over the wife's or kid's best friend and give her a ticket, right?), while they eat, while they # (I can hear them talking in the other stalls while I do my own quiet excreting!)... Maybe while they shower, too? I dunno... It's just as bad for those pocket computers and other electronic wastes-of-money-and-time. 'Smart' phones or whatever you call the next step up are just as bad if not worse. I don't understand this "texting" phenomena nor Why people Must type these little idiotic messages to their friends Wherever they are and Whenever they are. I've seen the so-called keyboards and they're a game in themselves to operate. I can only type on a full-sized computer keyboard, and having been doing so for decades can type close to 100 words per minute when properly positioned on a good day. Yet I have nothing to say which would keep me tied to it. But "typing" on these ditzy little hand-held pieces of crap with two hands at a time is a joke (or is it one finger in one hand?), and millions of people apparently do this all the time--while operating machinery, while driving, while walking, while talking. I wonder how many people clean loaded guns while carrying on other tasks at the same time, maybe "texting" as well. Do bus drivers do it, too? Do pilots, while they land commercial airplanes? Is this the future of Mankind? Could this be the dawn of the End of Mankind?

What would make a funny skit would be to have a masked man armed with a gun and a can raid a yuppie hangout like Starbucks. "Everyone, throw your phones in the bucket!" He goes around and they all surrender their yap-boxes. The bucket contains gasoline. After the last one surrenders, he throws a match into the bucket. Oh, to see the Faces of those poor Yuppie Airheads as their precious toys go up in flames! That's what they are: toys. Give a new toy to a baby and the baby will keep playing with it constantly and carry it around and play-play-play while eating, while sleeping, while crapping. Adults are behaving in the exact same way except they're too stupid to see it, or boldly hold the title of Adult to justify doing it. Except Adults take it to a new level because they have Adult work to do and are Playing with their toys while doing it. It's dangerous. Grow the hell up!

Yeah, I have a tiny little old (wired) MP3 player. It costs me like $10. I play some old MP3 music files while I blow the leaves outside for an hour or so every other weekend in the Fall. That is the entire extent of my "personal" electronic ventures outside the house, and for me it's not going to get any worse. Cars now have these GPS things, DVD players, and lots of other crap to send their retail prices skyhigh and make more profits for the dealers. It's a wonder there aren't more accidents on the road or anywhere else. Operating a vehicle while using one of these toys Should Be Illegal. Women drivers are bad enough using their rearview mirrors to put lipstick on while driving. Now they're juggling lipstick, a cell phone, a water bottle (See my article on Bottled Water), and perhaps watching their GPS, DVD video, and chewing gum all at the same time. There are crashes and fatalities, and many of them go beyond simply being drunk or on crack. Is news of Paris Hilton's current status worth peoples' lives? People always have to be Doing Something these days. They don't want peace and quiet. They don't want time alone to Think. Perhaps they no longer can Think for themselves?

People who buy these things change, too. They almost seem to structure their lives around the little boxes. Something like an addiction perhaps. They want to make and receive more and more calls. They also become Perpetually Available to those who know their cell phone number. Imagine being constantly interrupted any time of hte day. Breaking your concentration and chain of thought. In a way, they have become slaves to technology. I had enough trouble adapting to being paged as Mr. Dave's assistant at Digi Matex all those years ago. I wonder what it must be like having to live with that 24 hours a day, 7 days a week Anywhere. How do people get things done with all this petty chatter?
Had these nasty things been invented centuries earlier, I couldn't imagine writers like Shakespeare ever putting anything down in pen. They survived without them as shall I.
Then you can throw in the other fun "toys" like web-surfing pads and it's like going back to the 80's watching 8 year olds constantly getting off on Nintendo or Gameboy pocket games. Considering how everything these days is aimed at pleasing children (or, should I say, child-like adults?), This need for instant gratification is associated with newborn babies, not mature adults who have full-time jobs to support their families. Today's people--perhaps I should say Today's Americans since that's one of my perspective limitations--need everything Right Here, Right Now, This Very Moment. And if they don't get it, they'll have a tantrum. Not having an adult to counsel them, this could take the form of "road rage" should the situation's characteristics be right. Patience is no longer a virtue--It's a waste of time! Instant gratification leads to speeding. Nothing in this world is fast enough. Every new thing on the market has to be Faster than before. Cars are Never fast enough either.
I take my driving seriously and do not exceed the speed limit. Mr. Spock would probably say "data acquisition and control is inversely proportional to velocity"--as the faster one goes the more one misses in the scenery (such as public domain roadside dumpings) and the less control one has over breaking and steering. I piss other drivers off because I travel 25 MPH in a 25 MPH zone, and at times they drive around me, despite crossing double lines into the opposite lane risking collision with oncoming traffic, which is a driving violation. Just cruising down a main road and stopping to turn off into a side road is enough to irritate these people. I can almost feel the tension pouring from the car behind me for the 5 seconds it has to wait for me to turn; the 5 seconds he has to make up for by accelerating to a fast pace the moment I complete that turn and he's "free" of the obstacle. Were I to make it 10 seconds, I'd have gotten the horn and quite probably the middle finger. Are those few seconds of their lives so terribly precious? I remember one car cutting around me, then another one who figured I was dragging it below the speed limit, and then another one since sheep follow sheep. Lyndon's not Fast Enough for Them. They never got ticketed of course. I assume there's an unwritten rule about the local town police Not stopping friends and family (maybe they have a database of "friendly" license plate numbers?). Here's a strange instance not involving myself but indicative of the modern American mentality: My cousin, minding his own business sitting in his car parked on the side of the road by his house with his shirt off (presumably on a hot summer day), waves to some passing school girls walking by--and the girls call the police with their (you guessed it) cell phones to check out "the naked man in the car!"... That'll get you ticketed or at least noticed by the police. But I'm digressing again! Anyway, to get back on topic, I can't lay the blame entirely upon cell phones and related wireless gizmos. These are simply contributors, for the real culprit is our rapid technological society and the indicators are everywhere, be they drive-thrus (as opposed to people actually sitting down at a table to eat a meal), to obsessively scanning the Internet for quick answers and solutions. Today's assholes don't even want to start new jobs at a low wage and gradually work their way up in companies--They expect high pay, promotions...and they want it NOW. Grownups have been regressed to their childhood, except They don't have adults to tell Them when enough is enough, time to stop playing, come inside, and face reality. Or perhaps I have it wrong: grownups of this generation haven't regressed--they simply never matured to full adulthood at all. In place of getting the latest video game for their Nintendo, they need to get the latest app(lication) for their smartphone. Reality is a common theme you will read about throughout these pages of mine. My Life is fixated upon Reality, as I like to believe it to be at least. I don't smoke, drink, or take drugs. I want to face the harsh reality of Life sober--"warts and all" as they say. In my opinion, cell phone users are starting to drop out of the real world. Just listen to the conversations going on. Many concern the fantasy world of television or the lives of Hollywood's airhead whore generation. Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton, Lady Gaga, Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Knox, Britney Spears... WHY DOES ANYBODY CARE ABOUT THESE PEOPLE? Yet they idolize these people!?! Answer: they look Good, and Image is more important than Substance in America. See, if you get enough money, you can grow up to become Just Like Them. Money bestows instant gratification. Both Paris and Kim were born in very rich families. The former had the whole Hilton hotel chain, the latter the daughter of O.J. Simpson's overpaid lawyer. Apparently this wasn't enough to establish Images for Themselves. Paris Hilton made a sleazy sex tape sucking her boyfriend's dick, which she conveniently "leaked" onto the Internet. She was an overnight sensation from there on out. Kim Kardashian emulated Paris--Her sex tape was higher-resolution, featured background music, and had Kim sucking a Black guy's dick. Bigger is Better, right? Now Kim Kardashian is even More famous than Paris and a true American Celebrity. In my eyes, they're nothing less than whores--even more so since they were Born with money. Don't you wish you could be like these girls? But again I digress... Facebook, Twitter (surely for Twits!), Craig's List, Google, Yahoo, Dicky's Party Room, The Rock/Zone... Airheaded vanity e-resources. At least Google and Yahoo are search engines for general usage. Then there's the "hidden" features of using these things, such as how users can be tracked and simply triangulated upon. The police do it and even some shopping malls. Nobody realizes this. It's great for murderers, as the cops have wisely tracked down several, but should everyone be treated like potential murderers? You'd might as well be microchipped. Maybe my favorite conspiracy nut, David Icke, was right...

Ultimately I prefer to communicate with a living human being right in front of me rather than over a phone, wired or cell makes no difference to me. It's far more direct and precise, down to body language and syntax nuances. Besides, I get precious little human communication these days just trying to get through to people on my home phone. Everything is automated. Press this, press that, leave a message... It's a miracle that dying people can even call an ambulance without having to proceed through a hierarchy of call options both on their precious cell phones and on the other end.

top topics

join