It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ritual Abuse of UK Marines

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
News of the World exposes the bullying culture of Britain's elite armed forces with a secret video documenting a sickening catalogue of abuse.

News of the World

A young Royal Marine is FORCED into a barbaric naked fight with another recruit and then KICKED unconscious by a superior in a brutal booze-fuelled initiation ceremony.

And the shocking ritual—covertly filmed by a commando—is alleged to be one of many imposed on recruits.

Now the film is being investigated by Ministry of Defence top brass who have confirmed it is genuine.

Our source claims the culprit holds senior rank. The Marines would not confirm his position but an MoD source said: "He's not an officer but he is an NCO."

They identified the 42 Commando marine—dressed in a blue surgeon's outfit—who carried out the attack and he is being disciplined.

But our whistleblower reveals the beating that could have KILLED the young recruit in this video is one of many chilling secret initiation ordeals he has witnessed as a marine.

A veteran of Afghanistan and Iraq, he said: "This is the worst thing I've seen happen—that's why I filmed it—but it's the tip of an iceberg.

The guy laid out was inches away from being dead. Stuff like this goes on all the time—but when drink becomes involved it gets worse."

The whistleblower went on to reveal how marine recruits were:

TORTURED with shocks through electrodes attached to their genitals

FORCED to crawl naked through thorn bushes

ORDERED to jump out of bedroom windows, even though some broke their legs, and URGED to fight each other with one hand tied behind their backs.

*GRAPHIC WARNING*

www.newsoftheworld.co.uk...

"Their superior was getting them to do stranger and stranger things, while getting them p***** and picking on any who didn't do what he wanted.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Oh that is Nice, ey?
Naked, Young Marines, beating Each other almost to Death.
Brotherly Love could not be Better!
They were just showing their superior officers, what they learend in training, right?
One thing is for Certain - Marines is no place for Crybabies.

"Marines need to be tough and training should be tough. You don't want wimps," said our source.

[edit on 27-11-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Not that i condone abusive actions , but this really does not surprise me in the least,

I think to some degree if you join something like the mariens you kind off expect a tough time,

My concern is that wheres the line to be drawn? To knock someone unconcious may be a little far.
That teamed with the drink again i think is a no no,

just my thoughts on the matter,

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I very much doubt this a 'ritual' performed the Marines. (maybe the title is misleading somewhat?) This looks like a group get together that got well out of hand. I have seen many types of get together get out of hand, but not to this extreme.

The NCO responsible for kicking the Marine into unconsciousness should be charged accordingly. No doubt this will happen. Pulling rank in a situation that was portrayed is tantamount to nothing more than bullying. The Army does, and will take a dim view of this.

That NCO's days in the British Forces are now numbered....................

[edit on 27-11-2005 by Bikereddie]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I am sure that there are several so-called "Marine Get Togathers" that get out of Hand. What worries me, is this statement, that the guy who filmed it said:

"This is the worst thing I've seen happen—that's why I filmed it—but it's the tip of an iceberg."

One thing is for certain - that Marines need to be TOUGH.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I admit that it is, and was bad, but how can a Marine know before hand that it was going to get out of hand? Why did he take the camera with him?
Maybe it was to make a quick pay cheque by selling it to one of the worse News papers he could have found.
The News Of the World is not the most reliable of media sources to be found.

Hmmmmm, i wonder how much he sold the video for?

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
I admit that it is, and was bad, but how can a Marine know before hand that it was going to get out of hand? Why did he take the camera with him?
Maybe it was to make a quick pay cheque by selling it to one of the worse News papers he could have found.

Maybe he wanted to make some Money - or maybe he wanted to show to the World whats going on behind Walls of the Marine Barracks. Or maybe in one of the previous Events such as this, one of his Friends got kicked the # out.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Maybe you got a point there.
This has gone on for a long time in different regiments within the British Army. There have been, and will always be some kind of initiation ceremony for all new comers. Most are not to the extremes that we have been shown, but they do happen.

In the past, i have been subjected to initiation ceremonies, and went along with it in the jest that was intended.No harm was done, and non was intended. At no point have i ever witnessed anything like the Marines went through.

The Marine took his camera with the soul purpose of filming it. It matters not what he captured, he was going to sell it anyway. He only had money on his mind at the time.
It was fortunate that he captured the savagery he did, maybe things will get sorted out for the lad kicked unconscious.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I saw a program not too long ago about the training program of the Royal Marines, and although I didn’t see anything unusual, their training was pretty difficult (but then again that is expected). Also, some of sergeants were having trouble adopting new regulation telling them to lighten up their training because the drop out rate among recruits is apparently high.

[edit on 27-11-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie

Maybe he just had the camera with him because they were going out drinking and he wanted to take pictures of them having a good time and then this initiation happened. People take cameras with them when they go out all the time.

Anyways, maybe he knew something like this was going to happen because as the whistleblower says in the article, it was "the tip of an iceberg". Other things happened before, he probably assumed they'd happen again.

Maybe he did it to stop the cruel rituals to help protect future marines?
[edit on (11/27/0505 by Dynamic Reality]

[edit on (11/27/0505 by Dynamic Reality]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
The ad for the RM says "99.9% need not apply".
I guess the .1% don't mind the odd kicking.

And that's really the crux of the matter. I live within a couple of miles of the barracks where this took place. The Marines who I know, would say that this is just a little bit of "slap and tickle" and would probably look upon you with incredulity if you stated that this was wrong!!! They also reckon that this is being blown way out of proportion. Call it institutionalisation if you like but that's just the way they are. The only thing that really pisses them off about the whole incident is that it came out to the media.

Sure, that doesn't make this right, but the Marines are an elite force who pride theirselves on their aggression - their whole life revolves around violence and machoism.
They will fight a garden wall or a tree if there is nobody else about to hit.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   
My Father is ex-army, British Army, he wasn't in the marines but he said this goes on all the time. The Royal Marines recuritement advert states;

99.9% need not apply

I think to some degree if you join something like the marines you kind off expect a tough time,

Asala is right, your going to get a hard time. Those guys are trained to kill and are developed into hard cookies.

You get worse in SAS training

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Fine. I guess that was a part of their Training. I guess it was a part of the Process of Becoming a Marine. It also reminded me of the movie Few Good Men, where US Marines in Guantanamo Bay gave a so-called "Code Red" to a Fellow Marine, that was not up to their "Standards" and was #ing up their statistics. So they beat the crap out of him. I know that happens in all of the armies of the world. My friend told me a story from the Army, about a retarted, well not retarded but kind of slow, guy that was always the last in each and every Skill Test. He was last on the Marathon. He was the poorest shooter. He was the poorest in discipline. He was the poorest in everything. And he was making the platoon look bad. So the "Boys" decided to teach him a lesson and they beat him up with "soap-in-a-stocking" when he was sleeping. Kind of Code Red in the US Marines. Next day he left the Barracks.

I guess you are right. Only the Strongest survive the Marine Training, the rest are not worthy of that title. I was kind of hoping to get more Marines here to shed a light or two on this topic - but I guess by now, they all hate me pretty bad...

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I don't know that it's "ritual abuse." Ritual abuse implies a religious motive, and although the Marines have an enforced cameraderie, "Marine-dom" is not a religion.

It's more similar to fraternal hazing... very extreme fraternal hazing.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
I was kind of hoping to get more Marines here to shed a light or two on this topic - but I guess by now, they all hate me pretty bad...

Heh. I doubt you'd see many British Marines here on ATS. None of the guys I know care for computers. Unless they invent a PC that can serve you beer or one that you can have a fight with, computers and Bootnecks will always be worlds apart.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indellkoffer
I don't know that it's "ritual abuse." Ritual abuse implies a religious motive, and although the Marines have an enforced cameraderie, "Marine-dom" is not a religion.

It's more similar to fraternal hazing... very extreme fraternal hazing.

I agree that the word RITUAL has more of a Religious Tone to it - but then when you think about it...

A ritual is a formalised, predetermined set of symbolic actions generally performed in a particular environment at a regular, recurring interval. The set of actions that comprise a ritual often include, but are not limited to, such things as recitation, singing, group processions, repetitive dance, manipulation of sacred objects, etc. The general purpose of rituals is to express some fundamental truth or meaning, evoke spiritual, numinous emotional responses from participants, and/or engage a group of people in unified action to strengthen their communal bonds. The word ritual, when used as an adjective, relates to the noun 'rite', as in rite of passage.

..fraternites also perform Rituals to engage a group or people in unified action to strengten their bonds. What better way, then to spill blood togather - meaning they are now blood brothers...

[edit on 28/11/05 by Souljah]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
i was a small portion of the video last night, i was realy shocked by it, one of the officers kicks on of the recruits square in his face and he goes unconsious...

My morning paper today stated that "crawling naked trough thorned bushes, and electrical shocks applied to private parts are also "common "practice at such initiation rituals.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
My friend told me a story from the Army, about a retarted, well not retarded but kind of slow, guy that was always the last in each and every Skill Test. He was last on the Marathon. He was the poorest shooter. He was the poorest in discipline. He was the poorest in everything. And he was making the platoon look bad. So the "Boys" decided to teach him a lesson and they beat him up with "soap-in-a-stocking" when he was sleeping. Kind of Code Red in the US Marines. Next day he left the Barracks.

I saw the footage on the news and thought it was brutal and perverted. There has to be something wrong with a leader that would allow and even condone this sort of thing.

I've witnessed a barracks beating in Canada, and it was horrible.
The poor guy had juice and sand dumped on him and they held a blanket over him and beat the crap out of him.
I think he got an RTU because he was gone the next day.

The real sad part is, not one officer even asked what happened. They were just glad to get rid of him.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Russian army is pretty brutal too, i remember seeing footage on a Brave on Sky. All the troops were lined up and were all beaten by one officer..half were knocked out cold. This just isn't the British army, it goes on in most places.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Wow. These initiation rituals seem to be a bit gay.

My friend told me a story from the Army, about a retarted, well not retarded but kind of slow, guy that was always the last in each and every Skill Test. He was last on the Marathon. He was the poorest shooter. He was the poorest in discipline. He was the poorest in everything. And he was making the platoon look bad. So the "Boys" decided to teach him a lesson and they beat him up with "soap-in-a-stocking" when he was sleeping. Kind of Code Red in the US Marines. Next day he left the Barracks.

That's bull I think. It's directly from the movie "Full Metal Jacket."

This slow chubby guy named Leonard sucks at everything. He makes the platoon look bad, nobody likes him and everybody teases him etc. Then one night almost everybody in the platoon puts their soap in a sock and beats the crap out of him while he's asleep. He doesn't leave though, he becomes quite a good marksman, then he shoots his NCO, who is an a-hole btw, and commits suicide.

mod edit: censor circumvention

[edit on 29-11-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This is not a ritual, how do I know?
Because I know 4 seperate marines who've went through training (2 of them just finished it) , the guys in these videos are toss pots.

Yes ladies and gents even the royal marines can get idiots in them, but ofcourse this will been seen diffrent in the eyes of the media.

BTW, there are no UK marines at all and this is not ritual, the title is completely wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join