It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some unexpectedly banned members...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
A newly appointed (ah-hem) site admin was so bewildered by the dizzying array of buttons and options in the massive ATS administrative control panel (17 links) that an attempt to ban a repeat offender ended up resulting in an inappropriate upgrade in status. As a result, the troublemaker with sudden new powers set out to ban a few members with a quick-link control panel for SuperMods and Admin.

The banned accounts have been restored, and the Admin with off-target mouse-pointer skills has been sent back to bootcamp for reinitiating, which includes the 23-stage blood-rite, 11,111 word oath of deadly fealty, and oratory argument before the "Knights who say Nee".

That is all.

Move along.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
"The banned accounts have been restored, and the Admin with off-target mouse-pointer skills has been sent back to bootcamp for reinitiating, which includes the 23-stage blood-rite, 11,111 word oath of deadly fealty, and oratory argument before the "Knights who say Nee". "

You know it wouldn't hurt to require routine eye exams

I'm moving along. Nothing to see here. lol

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Thanks for the quick fix.
Moving along as so ordered.

seekerof

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
You know, I'll acknowldege the fact that I had a hand in this fiasco, but I have to say that the "Admin's Handy reference Book" that I received in the mail is written for computer-savvy techno-geeks, not donut-eating, low-brow cyber-cops.

Not something that is easily skimmed. My HP 1600 All-in-One series printer users manual is kicking my butt, you thought I'd master this without some serious screw-ups?

Be glad we could all log on to the site today!

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I see! Thanks for sharign the reason why skeptic! All of the people in chat were wondering!

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Don't feel bad Thomas. It happens. I was writing a script on a linux server I had. Well.. I couldn't remember the command to terminate the script. Since I didn't bother to verify the command before I ran the script I found out the hard way that "halt" turns the computer off. lol

Its no so bad when you can press the button to turn it off. This computer was located in a data center in another state. I had to write an "Im stupid" email to support asking them to turn the box back on.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I picked it!

posted on 2005-11-2 by wecomeinpeace
Congrats, TC!

Your presence on this board is one of the things that makes this place great, the ultimate acknowledgement of which you are now seeing.

PS: Good luck with quitting smoking. I feel your pain, brother.

PPS: Careful with those buttons!!

Something tells me I'm about to be banned too...

Don't sweat it, TC. If I had a dollar for every time I've accidentally hit the "reply all" button instead of "reply" on emails and ended up ruining my relationships and career, I'd have about $1000.

[edit on 2005-11-26 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Good to hear it was an accident, and that everything has been fixed.
I was viewing a thread earlier today and nearly had a heart attack when SeekerOf had BANNED MEMBER next to his name. I noticed several other people banned in the last 24 hours while browsing ATS this afternoon, too, but none of the other names were familiar to me. I was trying to figure out how someone who was WATS-2003 could have gotten himself banned...

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
We've all had them, that Maalox moment. Just do what I do, stop using a frying pan to hit the keys

Using a full-choke mouse has its drawbacks - you never miss a point and click.

Even administrators' are human, imagine!

[edit on 26-11-2005 by FEMA]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I guess I should feel honored to fall into such good company. I thought it was curtains. No sweat, TC. Everyone makes a mistake at one time or another. I know I have.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
As a side note...

We'll be moving to tighter security of our administrative options. The only board control of potential damage that was accessible was the quick-ban for SuperMods and Admins... that has since been removed from the available options (just in case).

More security you don't need to know about will be deployed.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

quick-ban for SuperMods and Admins...

Wow,
Imagine if the troll managed to ban all the Admin and Supermods. He would have been the new dictator of ats. "Untouchable"...

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Imagine if the troll managed to ban all the Admin and Supermods. He would have been the new dictator of ats. "Untouchable"...

Not possible. There are several levels of failsafe. Among them is that it's impossible to ban any of the current administrators.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Not possible.

Yeah, I thought so. Of course you have considered an "any troll´s wet dream" -scenario like this one and made it impossible. I just wanted to play with the idea. Ok trolls, there´s nothing to see here...
move on...

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Now I see why that jjohnso or whatever his name is had the banned ranking. (the guy whose custom title is "life, liberty, and the pursue of those who threathen it") Thanks for the good laugh TC and SO....... If only you made that mistake on on me. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh, and for the record, who was the guy who got banned? What happened to him? You kindly thank him through E-mail for his service on ATS?

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   

well, screw ups happen.

*pats TC on the back*
its times like these that we thank god for Skeptic, Springer, and Simon.

nice work guys.

--Kit

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
You can say anything you like,
but you can't touch the merchandise.
She'll give you every pennies worth,
but it will cost you a dollar first.
You can step outside your little world.
You can talk to a pretty girl.
She's everything you dream about...
but don't fall in love...

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Crap, Bill, is this really necessary? I just tried to go to the Admin Control Panel and was met with this message:

This panel is off limits to Thomas Crowne until he passes the 248 page, fill in the blank test and 2.5 hour long hands/on practical exam.

Isn't this just a little excessive? After all, I'm STILL trying to learn how to fully use my printer/copier/scanner, after owning it for 6 months!

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
At least you didn't ban yourself, TC. I'm not sure, but I think that distinction goes to only one person. But, I'm not talking.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
At least you didn't ban yourself, TC. I'm not sure, but I think that distinction goes to only one person. But, I'm not talking.

HAHAHA, Val, come out come out where ever you are,

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join