It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Australia's Sole Nuclear Plant Believed Terrorist Target

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Australian police believe that the recently arrested terrorist suspects were aiming to blow up Australia's only nuclear plant. The Lucas Heights nuclear reactor is located southwest of Sydney. According to police statements given in court, three of the arrested terrorist suspects were questioned outside of the Lucas Heights reactor.

news.yahoo.com
SYDNEY, Australia - Police believe a nuclear reactor in southern Sydney was a possible target for an Islamic terror cell there, according to details of an Australian counterterror investigation released Monday.

Police previously stopped and questioned three recently arrested Sydney terror suspects near Australia's only nuclear reactor in December last year, according to an outline of police allegations made public Monday.

The document also outlined what it said were plans by the men to stockpile chemicals for making explosives and that they "obtained extremist advice and guidance" from a firebrand cleric arrested along with them.

The three men stopped near the nuclear reactor were among 18 terror suspects arrested in Sydney and Melbourne last week and accused of plotting to carry out a "catastrophic" attack in Australia. The police document recounted the December incident under the heading, "Possible targets for terrorist attack."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Even if they had succeeded in exploding a bomb at the Lucas Heights reactor it wouldnt of done much. The place is a medical isotope and research reactor, not a full fledged nuclear power plant. Blowing up something like the Sydney Harbour Bridge or the Opera House would of had more of an impact than Lucas Heights.

The first reaction to hearing of a bomb going off at Lucas Heights nuclear reactor would of been "We have a nuclear reactor?". But then again we could be told anything now and I suspect more targets will be named so a collective shiver can go up the spine of all Australians and the "what ifs" will abound.

Howard has pulled a blinder and the Australian people are running arms outstretched and beaming into the clutches of a police state. Hoorah for Howard the new Hun!

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I laughed when i heard this and saw the dramatic footage of a busted padlock on a chainlink fence gate like that's all the security and pre-cautions that place has.

Notice that the press got this information from the 'Fact Sheet' the Police issued them about the 'terror suspects'.

They won't even be going to trial until January but they are being made out to be guitly of impossible crimes already.

I won't be surprised if most of them get off at trial, if they get a fair trial.
If it looks that way, ASIO will blow up a train in Sydney (they won't do it in Melbourne because they wouldn't tarnish the Commonwealth Games, plus if it happens before the games then it will give them an excuse to go all out with security and put on a show of power for the international folk).

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   
These people are guilty as sin, they should be charged with 3 million counts of attempted murder (the population of Sydney who they put at risk).

The terrorists spiritual leader was recorded saying they could not partake in the Jihad unless there mothers gave them permission, looks like there mothers gave them permission, so there mothers should be charged, jailed then deported to country of origin.

Thank god for the Howard government.

In the current climate right wing politics are going to gain huge support.

Labour is doomed for decades now for being disorganised soft bleeding hearts.

Subz- every Australian knows we have a Nuclear reactor.

Memphis- ASIO will not blow up a train. Australians DONT kill Australians, Islamofascist's have and continue to try, thankfully it was averted from happening on home soil.

The Great nation of Australia was formed on a vote, we are one of the most peace loving deomocracy's on Earth, and people who dont like it CAN PACK THERE KITS AND GET OUT.

[edit on 14-11-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by NumberCruncher
These people are guilty as sin, they should be charged with 3 million counts of attempted murder (the population of Sydney who they put at risk).

Scarecrow, do some research, there was NO risk and there never could be a risk to Lucas Heights. They could NEVER bomb that place, it's far to well isolated, protected and built to be harmed in anyway by homemade explosives that they are charged with trying to make. It's nothing but propaganda aimed at gullable people who are easily frightened.

If you really believe what you've just typed your are being completely controlled. Time to think on your own.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Even if you what you "claim" is true about zero risk.

These dumb ass murdering Islamofascists did not know that, so there intention was to harm 3 million people, this is what they should be charged with.

Its not propaganda, what your posting is propaganda, down playing the very serious danger that these cold blooded anti christ mass murdering pimples on the posterity of Humanity live in our suburbs and want to be jihadist killing machines on our peaceful streets, BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY!!

Oh one more thing its your mind thats controlled after being wrapped up in cotton wool all your life, never faced danger and dilerious to the fact that there little war is now in your back yard.
Did you ever hear in the news that 88 Australians where killed in Bali nightclubs? or perhaps you think the Australian government did that to?

To many apologists who take there freedom forgranted in this world.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Australians DONT kill Australians, Islamofascist's have and continue to try, thankfully it was averted from happening on home soil.

I wish I lived there, in the UK british people kill each other every day, but they don't wear turbans so I suppose we can laugh it off and give them 3 or 4 years in jail.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Even if you what you "claim" is true about zero risk.

These dumb ass murdering Islamofascists did not know that, so there intention was to harm 3 million people, this is what they should be charged with.

Even thou your a waste of breath because you are applying zero intelligence to your logic, i feel like a lark.

1. You have no idea what these people were planning. Your assuming they were going to attack Lucas Heights because the Police released a 'fact sheet' saying they questioned them 'near' there last year.

2. If they are so stupid to have been trying to plan a bombing with TATP explosives at Lucas Heights for 16months without realising the impossability of success, which took me 10 minutes on google - then what are you so afraid of? If they are that stupid, there's no threat to you because they plan ridiculous things which are impossible to pull off in the middle of nowhere.

3. Lucas Heights is 30kilometres from Sydney. That's too far for your '3 million' to be affected by a TATP bomb and the reactor cannot explode anyway because it's not a nuclear bomb splitting atoms, it's enriching uranium for technical equipment in various medical and industrial purposes.

Its not propaganda, what your posting is propaganda, down playing the very serious danger that these cold blooded anti christ mass murdering pimples on the posterity of Humanity live in our suburbs and want to be jihadist killing machines on our peaceful streets, BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY!!

Wow, with insight and wisdom like that, facts don't stand a chance! There's nothing even worth saying to that because it's absurdity says it all.

Oh one more thing its your mind thats controlled after being wrapped up in cotton wool all your life, never faced danger and dilerious to the fact that there little war is now in your back yard.
Did you ever hear in the news that 88 Australians where killed in Bali nightclubs? or perhaps you think the Australian government did that to?

More ranting that makes no sense.
Did you ever hear that the former Prime Minister of Indonesia said the bali bombings were oraganised by the corrupt Indo police and intelligence agencies for western purposes. Do you know what those would be?
1. Indonesia are at risk of being kicked out of OPEC because they can't afford to keep up their oil production quota. This means other nations have to pump more to bridge the gap. The US is running at a loss already because of Katrina.
2. Indonesia has many oil reserves that have yet to be drilled, but again they can't afford to drill them. The oil is there, the west needs it and the Middle East is filling the difference. Indonesia don't want to sell off their oil industry and see foreign military bases gaurding all the new foreign oil reserves.
3. By bombing bali's nightclub district, they are targeting the trade of tourism, not the tourists. They want Indonesia's tourism to dry up, so there's a financial strain on the population and the government is forced to start selling of it's oil to foreign interests - like Exxon who have been trying to get at it for years.

There's a world of business out there you have no idea about. Your stuck in the world the media has created which says the evil terrorists are running around trying to kill YOU!

That is why your being controlled by what your told while ignoring the reality of what drives the rich and powerful - money and business.

To many apologists who take there freedom forgranted in this world.

You think freedom is a privilege, i think it's a right.
Bust out the dictionary buddy.

[edit on 14-11-2005 by TheShroudOfMemphis]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by chebob

Australians DONT kill Australians, Islamofascist's have and continue to try, thankfully it was averted from happening on home soil.

I wish I lived there, in the UK british people kill each other every day, but they don't wear turbans so I suppose we can laugh it off and give them 3 or 4 years in jail.

Heya Chebob, i actually was meant to word that like this ...

Australians DONT kill Australians for BEING Australians , that is a little more accurate for describing the Islamofascist killers.

We have murderors here to )>: but attacks against Australians for being Australian have and are rising over the last few years, a bunch of Lebanese muslim gang rapists just recently got life in prision for Attacks against Aussie girls and during the attacks they told the girls it was because they are Australian scum etc.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   

You have voted TheShroudOfMemphis for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

That is all

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Australians DONT kill Australians for BEING Australians , that is a little more accurate for describing the Islamofascist killers.

We have murderors here to )>: but attacks against Australians for being Australian have and are rising over the last few years, a bunch of Lebanese muslim gang rapists just recently got life in prision for Attacks against Aussie girls and during the attacks they told the girls it was because they are Australian scum etc.

Well black and asian people have been the victims of gangs of "neo-nazis","skinheads" and racists in our countrys for years, as have white people been the victim of other black and asian gangs. I still don't see a difference. You murder someone, you rape someone, the colour of the skin and the reason doesn't affect the act or the outcome. ANYONE who murders, regardless of religion or place of origin, should be punished accordingly.

Racists and murderers come from every corner of the earth, it is only when they come from an Islamic nation that they are labelled a Terrorist.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
You posted far to much apologist garbage to weave through ill stick to these.

-------1. You have no idea what these people were planning. Your assuming they were going to attack Lucas Heights because the Police released a 'fact sheet' saying they questioned them 'near' there last year.

Police questioned them "near" there they also questioned them seperately and the dumbasses all had a different story of what they had been doing all day it was the same day the reactor had been broken into and these are guys that are in Jail now waiting Terrorism charges, you sound like there Lawyer or mate, give me a break.

--------2.f they are so stupid to have been trying to plan a bombing with TATP explosives at Lucas Heights for 16months without realising the impossability of success, which took me 10 minutes on google - then what are you so afraid of? If they are that stupid, there's no threat to you because they plan ridiculous things which are impossible to pull off in the middle of nowhere.

A lock had been cut (probably by them) at the compound, shows how great the security is there hey! i bet its better now though.
What am i afraid of? im afraid that Terrorists will do there deeds because of naive civil libitarian apologists much like you.

-------3. Lucas Heights is 30kilometres from Sydney. That's too far for your '3 million' to be affected by a TATP bomb and the reactor cannot explode anyway because it's not a nuclear bomb splitting atoms, it's enriching uranium for technical equipment in various medical and industrial purposes.

You miss my point completely, my point is these Terrorists have the IQ of lets say a Tadpole, no body, even a tadpole is dumb enough to think that exploding a Nuclear power station will make a nuclear explosion, what they had to hoped/thought was to explode the reactor and fling nuclear contaminants into the air with the large explosion , much like a dirty bomb , and by choosing a good windy day it would be deadly.

-------You think freedom is a privilege, i think it's a right.
Bust out the dictionary buddy.

Yeah so where did i say freedom was a privledge?

It may be your right it maybe my right, but the Islamofascist terrorists forfeit there right to freedom, they get to spend there life in shackles, then they get to spend there after life in hell.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Quote from chebob
(Racists and murderers come from every corner of the earth, it is only when they come from an Islamic nation that they are labelled a Terrorist. )

I didnt realise that is how it is in the UK, maybe we will get like that here one day, but as it stands now.

Someone from an Islamic nation that commits a crime is a criminal like anyone else.
Someone from an Islamic nation that commits a racial crime is a rascist Criminal.
Someone from the Islamic faith who conspires to or commits an act of Terrorism is an Islamofascist Terrorist scum of the earth.

I sure hope we dont end up like the UK where you just stated yourself that you guys Label all people that commit a crime and belong to the (mostly) peace loving faith of Islam, Terrorists.
Because that would be a sad day for Australia and its mostly peaceful and valued Islamic community.

[edit on 14-11-2005 by NumberCruncher]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
You have voted TheShroudOfMemphis for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Police questioned them "near" there they also questioned them seperately and the dumbasses all had a different story of what they had been doing all day it was the same day the reactor had been broken into and these are guys that are in Jail now waiting Terrorism charges, you sound like there Lawyer or mate, give me a break.

The reactor was broken into eh?
Give ME a break! The lock was cut and you assume the reactor was compromised.

A lock had been cut (probably by them) at the compound, shows how great the security is there hey! i bet its better now though.
What am i afraid of? im afraid that Terrorists will do there deeds because of naive civil libitarian apologists much like you.

So you don't know who cut the lock, and your scared of the evil "terrorists"
Are hackers stealing financial data from your hard drive too?

You miss my point completely, my point is these Terrorists have the IQ of lets say a Tadpole, no body, even a tadpole is dumb enough to think that exploding a Nuclear power station will make a nuclear explosion, what they had to hoped/thought was to explode the reactor and fling nuclear contaminants into the air with the large explosion , much like a dirty bomb , and by choosing a good windy day it would be deadly.

There are so many containment systems in a reactor that such a thing is not possible with DIY explosives.
They'd be better off going and building a dirty bomb using the radioactive isotopes found in smoke detectors, Americium.
Bet your scared now, that little guy you thought would save you in event of a fire may be slowly killing you, or worse, ised in a bomb to kill you.
Better go call your neo-conseritives and demand all smoke alarms be taken off the shelf because they could be used to kill you.
While your at it take bleach and ammonia off the shelves too.

Yeah so where did i say freedom was a privledge?

It may be your right it maybe my right, but the Islamofascist terrorists forfeit there right to freedom, they get to spend there life in shackles, then they get to spend there after life in hell.

So who gets to decied who's a terrorist? You?
So far these guys havent been tried and you've already convicted them.

Whatever happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty?

Just because you think someone's a terrorist don't make them a terrorist any more than it makes them a witch.
What you have alluded to is the age old saying "kill em all and let god sort em out"
That indicates you don't understand freedom.

Freedom is a fair trial.
Freedom is innocent until proven guilty
Freedom is life, not the death penalty
Freedom is free for everyone and can be denied to no one
Anyone can be free
No one can not be

Freedom is for everyone, but it is a choice one must make.
You must choose to be free and you must choose to defend your freedom.

Freedom can not be defended via preemprive strikes, because to do so shows that you don't care about other's freedom, only your own, and as such you are not free but are a slave to your false freedom.

Only when one is innocent until proven guilty can people be truely free.

NumberCruncher, you believe freedom is a privledge because you believe the "Islamofascist terrorists" can forfeit there right to freedom.

They can choose to not be free, but we can not choose that for them.
If they choose to do wrong things they will be locked up.
We can not lock them up simply because we think they MIGHT do wrong things, or else we will be no more free than they choose to be.
Cold Hard Evidence needs to be found.
A free people can not lock away a man based on assumptions.

[edit on 14-11-2005 by mrjones]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I meant reactor compound, but im sure you knew that, just another excuse to have a shot eh?

In the eyes of the law they are innocent till proven guilty, but they are guilty in the eyes of the public until proven innocent.

You ask me if im "scared of evil terrorists" in such a smug fashion that it actually sounds like you sympathize with there cause or something?

You still miss my point it doesnt matter one iota what would of happened if they detonate a bomb at the reactor, what matters is there intentions and what they thought would happen.

And spare us all your interpretations on Freedom.

So how many accounts do you have here on ATS?

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Okay, all of you calm down and try to be more civil. Especially you Numbercruncher.

If this devolves into further tit for tat replie I'll close the thread.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
"Lucas Heights is 30kilometres from Sydney. That's too far for your '3 million' to be affected by a TATP bomb and the reactor cannot explode anyway because it's not a nuclear bomb splitting atoms, it's enriching uranium for technical equipment in various medical and industrial purposes." - of course it won't explode like a nuclear weapon, but the danger with these things as far as I know is that if a plant is destabilized (and explosives aren't exactly something that you shake off), a meltdown could be initiated, and that will result in a leakage or radioactive material. If wind conditions are right, Sydney would certainly be affected - remember that most of Europe was affected from the Chernobyl disaster.

My question, for anyone that feels that this is aimed at them, is: why is it easier for some to assume that these people picked up by the police are innocent, whilst assuming that western intelligence services are to blame for every evil under the sun (or, to stick to this thread, the bali bombings)? Is it really that hard to believe that people like those associated with al qaeda, whose statements and literature over the years outline their hatred and strategy against the west are actually resonsible for such things? Why do we apologize instantly for such people while pointing the finger at the ones whose job it is to protect us?

I don't mean this as a jibe at anyone, but I've begun to see this phenomenom more and more in recent years and it's a little worrying...

cheers,
Archangel

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Archangel76
My question, for anyone that feels that this is aimed at them, is: why is it easier for some to assume that these people picked up by the police are innocent, whilst assuming that western intelligence services are to blame for every evil under the sun (or, to stick to this thread, the bali bombings)? Is it really that hard to believe that people like those associated with al qaeda, whose statements and literature over the years outline their hatred and strategy against the west are actually resonsible for such things? Why do we apologize instantly for such people while pointing the finger at the ones whose job it is to protect us?

I don't mean this as a jibe at anyone, but I've begun to see this phenomenom more and more in recent years and it's a little worrying...

LOL, simple, too much X-Files and too much faith that everything you read on the internet is real. I remember the days when people read books, which had been researched and vetted, now it's reading any old BS on someone's site

You just have to learn archangel who talks crap and who doesn't. You have to be careful though of those who mix crap with a tiny bit of fact

[edit on 14-11-2005 by asala]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Arch ,

If i had a vote thingo left you would get it, just for breathing some sanity into this thread.

Thanks.

But i guess we are on a conspiracy themed board it attracts that crowd i guess.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Thanks numbercruncher... One thing I will remark upon based on my personal experience is that a major problem that westerners like myself have is that we see too much of the world in shades of fantasy. I used to live in Sri Lanka, and my family there and I lived under the grim spectre of suicide bombers for several years until 2002. People in Sri Lanka certainly aren't afraid to call such people by their label: terrorists. Nor, for that matter, were Jordanians recently. But now that I live in the US, I have to explain to people that the folks who exploded bombs and killed innocent people on almost a weekly basis near my high school are NOT freedom fighters, but simply people who spit upon fighting for their cause in a political setting, and want to impose their will upon everyone through intimidation. It frustrates me that even after suffering at the hands of such insane people (as King Abdullah bluntly called them), Americans still aren't convinced in some cases.

I can certainly understand resentment towards the Bush Administration (or that of PM Howard, for that matter)... but whilst we may be divided over our opinions of our political leaders, can we at least agree that the ordinrary men and women doing the extraordinary job of protecting us deserve the benefit of the doubt, and not the accusing finger, when they stop people from killing others like us?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join