It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reason why school is bad

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I am going to be a leader. In fact I am one of the few people who would be. The only problem is that I have noone to lead. But once at this camp place. I lead all these kids to rebel against 4 kids with superpowered squirt guns. Fun and hillarious. They called me sir and acted like I was president. Probably one of the funnest days of my life.

School has ruled my life. I can not escape what I cannot overcome. The homework. If someone took that out I would donate all my money to that person because I would be able to have time with my family, instead of sitting in the living room studying. They play videogames while I work, they go in the hottub while a work, its not fair. Keep school in school.

I wish I had one superpower at school or one thing that all the girl liked or something, everyone else seems to have something good about them but me. That is why I hate school. Kids like me (theres more?) have nothing good about them. :bnghd:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   

As for those who truly rebel? I'd like to say that schools should always respect children's opinions and should nurture argument and debate but experience teaches me otherwise. Often the truly rebellious children are those who are intelligent and possess inquisitive minds and yet get bored easily. Good teachers will stretch them and make them think harder. Bad teachers will not.

Yes true, that describes me and lots of other people i know, sadly our school has nothing but the 'bad' teachers.

Often the truly rebellious children are those who are intelligent and possess inquisitive minds and yet get bored easily.
Describes me and my friends very well.

Do you really suggest that kids should be encouraged to sort out their differences with physical violence? This ultimately leads to increased violence in society when they leave school - and society is already plenty violent as it is and you can be sure that many disputes will be resolved at the end of a gun, not just with fists.

Yes, in a way, i am saying that, in a controlled environment though. I once read about a school that had a 'boxing arena' type place where kids could fight to get out their anger. Yes i know theres wrestling, but that really does nothing. A controlled fight is what i think would be best. there would be kinks and quirks that need working out, its not perfect by a long shot, but as you said, teenager rebel, they cant sit and talk.

Moreover, schools are highly regulated and restrictive for a reason - teenagers are among the most rebellious element of a society. They do not have an economic stake in society (for the most part they don't have jobs/mortgages/dependents) making them more likely to turn to react against society. Moreover, when you consider that teens have little or no political or economic power and are physically hormonal anyway, it makes for a potent combination. It is no accident that the recent French riots were composed of largely disillusioned youths. Nor is it an accident that apprentice riots (usually composed of teenages) were common in Medieval and Early Modern Europe.

Yes Teenagers are a big problem, and I understand completly the reasoning behind this restriction, but there are some select teenagers who can overcome this rebelious and hormonious effort, there are some teenagers who do mature early, and the schooling system just does not recognize them which makes them angry, which makes them rebel even more!

God our school needs a debate club!

And now to CT06:

I am going to be a leader.In fact I am one of the few people who would be.
thats a pretty big assumption to make. There are many responsibilities to being a leader, and you may think your ready but you may not be. Im not saying your not because i dont know you but think about things like that before you say something as strong as that.

School has ruled my life. I can not escape what I cannot overcome. The homework. If someone took that out I would donate all my money to that person because I would be able to have time with my family, instead of sitting in the living room studying. They play videogames while I work, they go in the hottub while a work, its not fair. Keep school in school.

Yes i completly agree with you there. I go home and sometimes i have 2 to 3 hours worth of homework (usually about once or twice a week) and then i have my chores to do and by the time im done with everything im too tired to do anyhting else so i goto bed and do it all over again the next day.

I wish I had one superpower at school or one thing that all the girl liked or something, everyone else seems to have something good about them but me. That is why I hate school. Kids like me (theres more?) have nothing good about them.

Im sure you have somethign special about you that noone else has, but you just dont know it, or its not something that you realize as special. The fact that your participating in this debate is one thing, because not many peopel your age can truly participate well in a debate. Another thing is: your a teenager and no matter how much u dont want to beleive it, most if not all teenagers feel the same way you do right now. Just look at yourself and think about how much you can do and youll find somethign that makes you different from all the other people around you.

Well thats all for today.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by syberwolff
Yes, in a way, i am saying that, in a controlled environment though. I once read about a school that had a 'boxing arena' type place where kids could fight to get out their anger. Yes i know theres wrestling, but that really does nothing. A controlled fight is what i think would be best. there would be kinks and quirks that need working out, its not perfect by a long shot, but as you said, teenager rebel, they cant sit and talk.

God our school needs a debate club!

You make some good points. Certainly, controlled agression is a fair point - although arguably football is a prime area where testerone is unleashed through controlled violence. However, this is not available for all and perhaps arguably actually increases violent tendancies.

Boxing/wrestling are both good suggestions although most schools would shy away from them due to the fear of injuries. You could still join a local club or even martial arts which works on a similar principle of controlled physical violence.

As for debating clubs - well you could always start one at your school!

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Boxing/wrestling are both good suggestions although most schools would shy away from them due to the fear of injuries. You could still join a local club or even martial arts which works on a similar principle of controlled physical violence.

Yes true, but thats kind of the opint of a waiver... And Martial Arts would be a great thing to implement into a school PE class or even an afterschool club.

And that brnigs me to another thing i hate about school. PE. I know that they have to keep us 'fit'.. so stop feeding us crappy food! I cant stand gym. Im not an active person and i dont want to be. Forcing someone to do physical work... isnt that a form of slavery? Oh wait were getting a grade on it too. their giving us a grade on how physically fit we are, thats a load of bull!

As for debating clubs - well you could always start one at your school!

I dont think we can start clubs i think that it needs to be a teacher that does it and i think they need to have 'enough support for the club'.

Another class that i hate is English. I understand that we have to learn to read and write propperly and i think thats great. Personally i cant stand people who done use propper grammar, but the reason i hate english is because of the novels we have to read. First of all I cant stand novels. I read.. i dont realyl knwo what their called; i guess something like an psychological documentary? Ive read "Blink, The power of thinking without thinking" and im working on "Mind Hacks" and a couple others like that; so I cant stand it when they force me to read a novel. i dont like fiction! And another thing is the fact that we have to read novels from people who are long dead! I mean even in highschool most of the kids dont understand shakespearian(sp) or old english!

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
home.comcast.net...

This is the site that says everything I want to say.

School teaches you to hate it. I don't know how anyone could like school, because it takes away your free time, which is the rest of your life. Why would you want the rest of your life taken away, unless school is your life.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
well prepare yourself....

most likely going to have to work a job you hate for the rest of your life...

but the people you meet in life make it all worth it

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
i'll tell you what. education is necessary.
but i'll interject a pretty well known quote here, not sure who said it but its something like this.

"everything i ever needed to know i learned in kindergarten."

Here's the thing. There are people like myself who are naturally intelligent and rational, who can learn things by themselves by reading and experimenting on their own, without someone actually teaching them in a class.

Now, there's another group, who may or may not be less intelligent, who need someone to actually relay the information to them instead of just reading it. They need to be shown by a teacher how to do things or have someone explain a theory to them.

The problem I have is this.

Why should I have to pay to go a college when I can just read the books and learn it myself? Sure, colleges should still be there for those who need someone to teach them.

I am a mechanical designer by the way, but when I was looking for jobs I saw many that required a degree. Now I look at those and say, hey , i have 4 years of experience in doing that job, why do I need a degree? I already know the information I would be taught for that degree.

There are many employers who actually do value experience over someone fresh out of school with a degree... and the reason is this. Experience is the true way to learn.

Schools need major reform, and I think alot of the people here recognize that.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   
McGuirk, I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'm a computer programmer, pretty much self taught with a couple of semesters of formal Comp Sci training. When I first got into school for it, I was lucky enough to find a job that was willing to train me, and I think I learned much more in a couple of weeks of "real world" training than in the two semesters of school.

I don't look at it as it being a difference between learning on your own and learning from someone teaching you. College (and high school for that matter) give you an entirely different experience than you get from studying on your own.

You're stuck in an environment with others who (hopefully) are wanting to learn the same thing you are, and you can throw ideas off each other much better. You get to learn from their perspectives, as well as your professors--disagreeing with either perspective is often more educational than agreeing with it. You don't get that by studying it yourself, you don't get that interaction. At least I never did.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 03:40 AM
link   
If you, McGuirk, get a reform I will hack the system that gives em and give myself one. Also what if a kid skips school to go to college? I mean a 10 yr old in collegw would be friggin hilarious. I am getting pretty fed up with school right now. Its created so many problems.

Did you know:

At the dinner table all my family talks about is homework

My family thinks I am a slave and will do other work besides homework now because they have gotten used to the idea of me doing homework all the time.

I never can have one weekend without doing homework.:bnghd:

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Drop outa school and git married an have two kids and ten beers an that will be your life. Darn wont thet be great?

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I do agree that the ability to bounce ideas off each to learn is a good one, but I'm not talking theory here. Things like physics(non-theory), chemistry, math... those are just formulas and memorization. I don't need a teacher to show me how to do that stuff, I can read it in a book.

Now, theory is a different animal. Obviously being able to discuss with other more knowledgable people is an advantage in learning. My point was why do I need to pay some school 20-30 grand a year to do that? I think higher education has become more about getting money than it has been about education. I mean, yes, the professors need to be paid and things like that, but really... does it really boil down to it costing 20-30k a year for every student??? there's no way. I'd be willing to bet that it could be hedged to like 1-2k a year for every student, with the same exact things.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by McGuirk
I do agree that the ability to bounce ideas off each to learn is a good one, but I'm not talking theory here. Things like physics(non-theory), chemistry, math... those are just formulas and memorization. I don't need a teacher to show me how to do that stuff, I can read it in a book.

True, but the formulas and everything have concepts behind them that you might build off of or use in other areas. I can't think of a single example of why knowing how a chemistry law works and the reasoning behind it would be of benefit to an accountant for example, but that's just my own short sightedness. I know there's been tons of so-called "useless stuff" that came out of discussions in the classroom, little snippets here and there, sometimes blatant concepts that kinda of smack you in the face. Those wouldn't have come up if it weren't for discussing the details of a particular theory or formula.

Now, theory is a different animal. Obviously being able to discuss with other more knowledgable people is an advantage in learning. My point was why do I need to pay some school 20-30 grand a year to do that?

You don't. There's plenty of scholarships and grant money out there, and you can always go to a public facitility--most of my college has been through UTEP which, in spite of most of its students (including myself) normally giving it loads of crap, is a decent school. It would've cost me about $6-8K for all four years, and I get a degree that's works just as well as from anywhere else. No, it's not Harvard or MIT; but if I wanted one of those, I should've busted my rear a bit harder in high school to get the scholarship money.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGuirk
i'll tell you what. education is necessary.
but i'll interject a pretty well known quote here, not sure who said it but its something like this.

"everything i ever needed to know i learned in kindergarten."

Here's the thing. There are people like myself who are naturally intelligent and rational, who can learn things by themselves by reading and experimenting on their own, without someone actually teaching them in a class.

Now, there's another group, who may or may not be less intelligent, who need someone to actually relay the information to them instead of just reading it. They need to be shown by a teacher how to do things or have someone explain a theory to them.

The problem I have is this.

Why should I have to pay to go a college when I can just read the books and learn it myself? Sure, colleges should still be there for those who need someone to teach them.

I am a mechanical designer by the way, but when I was looking for jobs I saw many that required a degree. Now I look at those and say, hey , i have 4 years of experience in doing that job, why do I need a degree? I already know the information I would be taught for that degree.

There are many employers who actually do value experience over someone fresh out of school with a degree... and the reason is this. Experience is the true way to learn.

Schools need major reform, and I think alot of the people here recognize that.

Just because we can't learn things like you doesn't mean we should have to go to school. I know I am very smart but my brain tries too much to learn the inforamation, instead of learning how to learn it.

I think there should be more than one system of learning. Besides the visual way that has become standard now. "What is popular is not always right, what is right is not always popular."

top topics

<< 1   >>

join