It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Series Of Explosion Rocks Indian Capital New Delhi

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
JAK

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
A series of large explosions have hit the centre of New Delhi. Apparently they occured in the main market place near the cities primary railway station with 40 people reported injured so far. An Indian Government official has stated that these blasts were "no accident".

Emergency services were quick to respond to the calls and the injured were taken to hospital. The death count is not yet accurate and stands in the thirties.

[urlnews.bbc.co.uk...]news.bbc.co.uk[/url]
A police official, who wished to remain unnamed, told the BBC News Website that at least six to seven people died in the blast in Paharganj, and 40 others were injured.

It is not clear what caused the blasts although police suspect they were bomb attacks.

Many shops were damaged in the blasts.

"The blast was so powerful, my house shook," the Associated Press quoted Kiran Mohan, a photo editor who lives about 200 meters (650 ft) away from Sarojini market, as saying.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Indian Police have declared a State of Emergency in the Capital. This bombing has happened as Indians settle down to celebrate the festival of Diwali which is also known as the festival of lights.

[edit on 29/10/05 by JAK]

[edit on 29-10-2005 by Nerdling]

[edit on 31-10-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Another two have been reported aswell..

Wires are reporting 25 dead, but nothing confirmed yet. Im on Skynews

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Obviously Steve and E.D. on Fox could care less? I'm watching and nothing on the news yet.

Very sad. Every day its something.

[edit on 29-10-2005 by dgtempe]

Ahh- 10 people dead and 40 injured. Just came on.

[edit on 29-10-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
A bomb went off in a Hotel, that is popular among the Western Tourists.

So far 10 People found dead.

I have just found our, slovenian source so far:

Delo.si

[edit on 29/10/05 by Souljah]

JAK

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Supporting that Souljah ITV are reporting that one bomb was in the South of the city in an industrial sector and are now referring to 'widespread attacks' across the city.

I still haven't heard of more than the four reported yet though.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
i dont think this is Al Qaeda, they have no reason to strike India. Probably Pakistani militants, but i could be wrong.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Skynews is reporting that the Indian Parliament has been put on alert, plus other government offices aswell.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Infinite, isnt Al Qaeda's m.o. setting off bombs in 3's? There were three explosions.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Getting reports from sources that this is an area frequented by British and Israeli tourists primarily.

Twenty quid on the Iranians.

At least 25 feared killed in three big explosions in the crowded souk-hotel district of Paharganj in central New Delhi near the main railway station

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Infinite, isnt Al Qaeda's m.o. setting off bombs in 3's? There were three explosions.

CNN and Fox are reporting four explosions, perhaps they made one extra in case one did not go off.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Getting reports from sources that this is an area frequented by British and Israeli tourists primarily.

Twenty quid on the Iranians.

At least 25 feared killed in three big explosions in the crowded souk-hotel district of Paharganj in central New Delhi near the main railway station

Hmm...to be honest Nerd, i wouldn't be suprise if it was Iranian militants. Risky move thou

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
This is a coordinated series of blasts timed within minutes of each other.

This doesn't bare the mark of Indian or Pakistani separatists because of the timing, bombing during a festival such as this would win them no supporters. It has all the hallmarks of al-Qaeda or another muslim extremist group.

Nobody is pointing the finger... yet.

Lets just wait and see where the blame goes.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
There are more terrorist groups than Al Qaeda, India has suffered years of Islamic Militants attacks.

Skynews had someone of the phone stating that the finger is being pointed at an pointed islamic pakistani group

[edit on 29-10-2005 by infinite]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
i dont think this is Al Qaeda, they have no reason to strike India. Probably Pakistani militants, but i could be wrong.

I might be wrong here, but I always thought India and Pakistan had a few issues between them and that Pakistani militants had attacked Indian targets before...can someone correct me if I have been misinformed.

I have also been led to believe that, generally, the terms 'Pakistani militants' and 'Al-Qaeda operatives' are interchangeable...again correct me if I am wrong. With this in mind, is the statement 'i dont think this is Al Qaeda, they have no reason to strike India' correct.

Also, to those people suggesting this is Iranian operatives, can I ask a question...do you work for right wing Western press outlets????

Edit: Spelling!!!

[edit on 29-10-2005 by KhieuSamphan]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
There are more terrorist groups than Al Qaeda, India has suffered years of Islamic Militants attacks.

It doesn't matter who they are. All Islamic terrorist groups are lumped into the same melting pot.

They look to be small bombs, handbag sized or pipe bombs. I dont think we'll be seeing the body count rise over 20 but there is a risk of foreign nationals being killed.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   

All Islamic terrorist groups are lumped into the same melting pot.

Of course, we all know that Islamic terrorist adopt the Al Qaeda ideology. People need to understand that Al Qaeda is not a group, its an ideology that is used by other terrorist groups, which is more dangerous.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Let's just hope that there's no evidence of Pakistani complicity. The attacks a few years ago on the Indian parliament, which were planned and launched out of Pakistan, brought the two nations to the brink of nuclear war. I believe it was the closest they've came to another war in decades.

Experts have said that if there is to be a nuclear war somewhere in the world, it would likely be between India and Pakistan over Kashmir. To make matters worse we'd then have to worry about China and/or other nations getting involved.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
Let's just hope that there's no evidence of Pakistani complicity. The attacks a few years ago on the Indian parliament, which were planned and launched out of Pakistan, brought the two nations to the brink of nuclear war. I believe it was the closest they've came to another war in decades.

Well, the attacks today could have been done by outsiders to spark a war in the region. But i dont think this will lead to a war between the two nations, well i hope not.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
from Times of India

NEW DELHI, Oct 29: More than 25 were feared killed and six injured in bomb blasts which struck the bustling Paharganj and Sarojini Nagar areas of New Delhi on Saturday. The six injured people are admitted in Lady Hardinge Hospital near Paharganj and other government hospitals. The police do not rule out a terror attack. .

The blast took place in the main market in Paharganj at around 5.38 pm, the fire brigade sources said. Five fire tenders have been rushed to the spot, they added.

They say as well that the police is not ruling out the terrorist attack... I gues we will here more soon...

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

A series of bombs have exploded in the Indian capital New Delhi killing at least 30 people.The first blast rocked the Paharganj bazaar district which is popular with budget travellers. At least 30 people have been killed and more than 60 wounded in the explosions.A police spokesman said rescue teams and bomb disposal units were at the scene.He said the market area was crowded with shoppers preparing for Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights, which is on Tuesday. The first explosion happened at 5.40pm (12.10 GMT) about 200 metres from the main railway station.A second blast was reported at Sarojini Market, a congested shopping area.The third was at Govindpuri, an industrial area in the south of the city.

3 bombs targeting civilians, possible terrorist activity.

No offical word yet, but obviously no accident.

3 bombs in the spaces of a few moments.

Watch this space for updates.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join