It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is enlightenment supposed to be?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Just wondering how many of you here think you are enlightened and what your version of enlightenment is? Just curious. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The ultimate form of laziness: Being able to not have thoughts, to be able to just be......

How Boring.

[edit on 21-10-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by zenlover28
Just wondering how many of you here think you are enlightened and what your version of enlightenment is? Just curious. Thanks.

It is the first 3 letters of your screen name..

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   

... and what your version of enlightenment is? Just curious. Thanks.

My version of enlightenment.

Everything in life is "pain": including love (e.g. broken heart, jealousy, losing partner for whatever reason incl. death), the need for food (you kill living beings), the desires in your life whether realized or not - they are all pain.

Enlightenment is the state where the spirit (consciousness) is immune for "pain" through meditation, discipline and humble life. Because you are no longer feeling "pain" you observe everything more clear leading to perfect understanding and knowledge. Ultimatele your consciousness will reach such a superior state and posess the know-how that it can survive without the body: the Buddha.

At least that's my understading of enligthenment after having read some articles and lurking on some philosophy boards/channels.

Blobber

[edit on 20-10-2005 by Blobber]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
To free yourself from the ego.

When you can be in the present moment, you are enlightened.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
what he said ^
Not living your ideas about reality, but reality itself.

You can be enlightened driving your car or meditating or eating dinner, then go back to the usual world of constructs of your mind; until you are enlightened performing some other task as best as you can.

"Everything you think is delusion." - Including what you think about enlightenment. Because its what you think, not the reality of what it is. It cannont be explained only directly experienced.

[edit on 10/20/2005 by ViolatoR]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Budha said that once you obtain enlightenment, nothing changes. Thats both deep and scary, on several levels.

I'm not worried about becoming enlightened. I enjoy my life as it is and give thanks constantly for all the blessings that have been bestowed upon me. Both good and bad.

Just my thoughts, Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
“Little by little a person becomes evil, as a water pot is filled by drops of water...
Little by little a person becomes good, as a water pot is filled by drops of water.

~ Buddha

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
As you approach it it will be feasable...when you are close it will be tangible, when you are there it wont matter.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
good question...right up there with 'What is the meaning of life?'

I imagine enlightenment as a gradient.

The very young are enlightened by a world of wonder.
The very old, who still see a world of wonder, are most enlightened by what the world holds.

Those of us who lose that sense of wonder are the unenlightened ones.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
To follow your own path, as humble as it may be. To become one with the devine. To get rid of pride, ego and material need. To be one with nature, not killing and raping nature.

To harm none

Love is the law, love is the bond.

Let the Lord and Lady call to you, and set your earthly desires aside.

To open all of your Chakras.

In the beginning of the age of pisces Jesus the Christ opened the third eye Chakra. In the beginning of each new age a mesiah opened a new Chakra, to bring mankind that much cloer towards enlightenment. The next mesiah, at the beginning of this new age called aquarius will open the last chakra. This is the crown chakra, and will give us the opertunity to ascend to the next vibrational state. Those that do will have enlightenment. Those that do not will stay in the material worlds rat race, chasing that cheese over and over again.

What will you do?

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Kushi, you sound like a mean troll....IF you cannot say something nice don't reply. I know you are just probably bored and spouting off , but don't put down someone for asking a question.

How rude.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
IMO, enlightenment is finding God and your higher purpose and meaning for life. Pray for this and you will find it.

It is my belief that our sole purpose in life is to find our way back to God and to live a life that would please.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I've had my moments of enlightenment but I am by far not enlightened, and there are many views on enlightenment, but to me to be enlightened one would have to realise...

What you realise though is up to you.

[edit on 21-10-2005 by Killer 5]

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
Bible, John 8:32

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Okey dokey. Thanks everyone for sharing what your version of enlightenment is. For the poster who referred to my handle as being enlightenment, I don't believe the term Zen means enlightenment; to me it means being at peace. It doesn't mean being above or below anything else. The handle peacelover was already taken. So, Zenlover was the closest I could come.

Personally, I don't believe there is a such thing as being enlightened in the context in which alot of you use the word. But, everyone has their opinion. Thanks again for sharing!

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
There is no true end of elightenment. The question is the point of enlightenment? If you were full what would you than seek?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Being enlightened is an enigma. It is a change of course in the mind, a different road with different road signs, in different langauges (understandings) that would ordinarily seem esoteric, but now that you are enlightened, it makes beautiful sense. Like when a baby breaths for the first time, there is no way to prepare that baby for whats to come. It just changes everything.

Now I personally don't like the stereotypical conotation that follows the word enlightenment. Because a subject that cannot be defined, should not have a word describing it. It just leaves room for so much backlash from people that haven't yet took that first breath.

Anyway, this the long answer. Akashic said the short.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
Being enlightened is an enigma. It is a change of course in the mind, a different road with different road signs, in different langauges (understandings) that would ordinarily seem esoteric, but now that you are enlightened, it makes beautiful sense. Like when a baby breaths for the first time, there is no way to prepare that baby for whats to come. It just changes everything.

Now I personally don't like the stereotypical conotation that follows the word enlightenment. Because a subject that cannot be defined, should not have a word describing it. It just leaves room for so much backlash from people that haven't yet took that first breath.

Anyway, this the long answer. Akashic said the short.

To free yourself from ego is not possible unless of course you spend your life meditating on a mountain somewhere. It's not a possibility. I have to completely disagree with Akashic on that.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
enlightenment is to understand the nature of reality.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join