It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abraham, faith and action

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 09:14 AM
link   
How do you think Abraham (consider it as scenario if you are not
of Judeo-Christian faith) felt when asked by God to kill his son.
What would be the way you dealt with things if you were told right
now where you sit by God (it was 100% him you KNEW it) that you
had to do some major task for him, and gave obscure directions to challenge your faith. How would you approach your life the next day when you got up? No one could you tell, who would believe you anyway?

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Personally, I think Abraham was praying to the wrong god. My God would not test my faith by asking me to take the life of another being. Sounds like human sacrifice to me. And that sounds like the typical god of the old testament. Not my God. My God is the conscious universe that we all are part of. The same God that gives us free will to choose our own path. My God would not ask such silly things.

"Know them by their fruits"

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Well I don't Believe in Christianity, or any religion ending with ism or lam or basically no religion. I personally believe that all the religions aren't real on earth, and the real god(s) haven't shown up to anything. So in my eyes, most religions (especcially Christianity) makes up stories and fearful stuff to break people down into fearful, easily plyable "slaves" to some god that probably doesn't exist, and then they can rule their lives, take their money, and run any government that it's leaders follow that religion. This is just another example of this religion telling people to give to "god" (Aka the church) things for saving grace and whatnot. Abraham most likely didn't exist in the firstplace.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well, to keep clear, God did not require a human sacrifice in this story, so we can put the implications of Him being blood-thirsty or such aside as off-topic.

If we look at this as I believe it is meant to be seen, it is an example of having enough faith in God to know that even if things are as bad as they can possibly get and you can't even imagine how they will ever be better again you trust that if God's will is being done, everything WILL be okay in the end.

I learned a long time ago not to project what my actions would be in a situation I have never experienced. Abraham had such a level of faith that I can't even begin to feel qualified to examine his actions.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 02:38 PM
link   
God has a history of being a very poor judge of right and wrong.....therefore, I'd likely go tell him to have intercourse with himself...and not kill my son....

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Oh Lucifer. I would shut my eyes at the moment of impact and force myself to never think about it agian.

Except I'm only human, and I would probably lash out at God with hatred and disbelief and I would stomp off with my prize, never to listen to that murderer again!

Sorry Lou, not everyone is as pure as you.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 08:39 PM
link   
in my time frame of reference i cannot understand things that are not yet...
yet personally i can...
and i do act in accordance to his divineness...
and move with his great faith...
for every breath taken can be spared otherwise...

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This was a test for Abraham to show that God will keep His promises. For in Genesis 17:1-8, we have:
Genesis 17
1. When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, "I am God Almighty ; walk before me and be blameless.
2. I will confirm my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers."
3. Abram fell facedown, and God said to him,
4. "As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations.
5. No longer will you be called Abram ; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations.
6. I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you.
7. I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you.
8. The whole land of Canaan, where you are now an alien, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God."

What God was saying (three times already) was Abraham was going to have a lot of grandchildren who will have a lot of children who will have a lot of children .....

Later on we read in Genesis 17:19
Genesis
19. Then God said, "Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him.

So Abraham knew that he would become the father of a nation through his son to be born, Isaac.

So when we get to Genesis 22:2
Genesis 22
2. Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."
3. Early the next morning Abraham got up and saddled his donkey. He took with him two of his servants and his son Isaac. When he had cut enough wood for the burnt offering, he set out for the place God had told him about.
4. On the third day Abraham looked up and saw the place in the distance.
5. He said to his servants, "Stay here with the donkey while I and the boy go over there. We will worship and then we will come back to you."

Abraham knew that God had a plan, perhaps God meant to resurrect Isaac, perhaps God would stop the sacrifice. However Abraham knew that Isaac would live because God promised that Abraham would become the father of a nation through his son Isaac and this meant that somehow Isaac's life would be spared.

top topics

join