It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Turkey Day, Canucks

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in Canada.

Enjoy!

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
We sacrificed our bird tonight, one day early.

The whole family managed to get together this year. That alone was something to be thankful for, it was nice to see everyone.

The Americans have Thanksgiving in November, so I might observe that one as well. I just love turkey.

I think I'll take a nap now..............

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
That one is new to me I didn't that turkey day in Canada was in October, so I guess they get two turkeys one in October and one in November too.

Then Christmas also turkey day for some again, you know that is a lot of turkey in only two months.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

by anxietydisorder:
I think I'll take a nap now..............

?tryptophan rush? zzzzzzZZzzzz :O)

Happy Turkey Day to ALL of our northern neighbors! Enjoy!

Personally, I look forward to the days of leftovers that follow. Turkey-this, turkey-that and you can't forget the "wishbone*" tradition.

* In our family the two youngest children take a firm hold on either side, make a wish and PULL! . . . whoever comes away with the larger piece gets their wish. [so to speak] :O)

[edit on 10/9/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
That one is new to me I didn't that turkey day in Canada was in October, so I guess they get two turkeys one in October and one in November too.

Then Christmas also turkey day for some again, you know that is a lot of turkey in only two months.

Actually we only get 1 for Thanksgiving, ours is a month before due to our shorter growing season. But I really enjoy yours, FOOTBALL. Yeah, baby!

Thanks soficrow, a good TG to all.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I get 3 nights of thanksgiving.
Last night we went to my mother-in-law's house. Today we went to a close friend of mine's (who I have celebrated thanksgiving for about 8 years now.) And tomorrow we will be going to my father-in-law's house.

Gobble gobble.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Thanks, soficrow...

Had the turkey at the 'in-laws' Friday and then more with my sons and their wives/girlfriends here at home today and tomorrow I'm gonna just snack and open presents cuz it's my birthday!!!

well...I actually opened one today...a bottle of Screech (couldn't wait)

wooohooo!

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Happy Birthday Masqua!

Holiday with family and friends is priceless.

I didn't know exactly what Screech was/is so I did a bit of "research".

Screech

The Story of Screech
Long before any liquor board was created to take alcohol under its benevolent wing, the Jamaican rum that was eventually to be known as Screech was a mainstay of the Newfoundland diet. Salt fish was shipped to the West Indies in exchange for rum; the fish became the national dish of Jamaicans and the rum became the traditional drink of Newfoundlanders.

I'll have to obtain a sample supply of this historic imbibement.

[edit on 10/9/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
... tomorrow I'm gonna just snack and open presents cuz it's my birthday!!!

well...I actually opened one today...a bottle of Screech (couldn't wait)

wooohooo!

Quick! Grab a microphone. Make a podcast!

Happy birthday, many more - and good on ya.

....So where do you guys find that beer icon?

Ps. You're welcome all.

[edit on 9-10-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I notice that your not that far from the border between our two great nations.
12m8keall2c, Location: PA, USA

Every so often I pick up a bottle of Screech at the liquor store and it really is good.
I've heard that Newfoundland has "real Screech" that is much stronger and the rest of Canada only gets the regular stuff, but I think the Newfies are just building a myth around a fine beverage.

Come on up and visit Canada and take a bottle home to share with friends.

(P.S. If you ever get the chance to party with a bunch of Newfies, you'll have the best time of your life. Those folks know how to have a good time.........

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

HAHAHA

Happy Turkay Day!!!!!

so what's the short story on Canadian T-day???
How did it come about? in your own words...please

anyone know......

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
so what's the short story on Canadian T-day???
How did it come about? in your own words...please

anyone know......

It's about celebrating the harvest. This is the time when it's time to harvest the food... It's not about indian's and puritan's coming together.

Pagan's also celebrate this time of year, I forget the name they give it though. exuinox maybe?

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   

It's about celebrating the harvest. This is the time when it's time to harvest the food... It's not about indian's and puritan's coming together.

Thanks

Yeah, I never knew canada had a Turkey day.....until now

sporty

[edit on 9/10/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I'm born and bred in Canada and I didn't know this stuff. If I remember right, we learned about Pilgrams in school.

History and Origin of Canadian Thanksgiving

In Canada Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October. Unlike the American tradition of remembering Pilgrims and settling in the New World, Canadians give thanks for a successful harvest. The harvest season falls earlier in Canada compared to the United States due to the simple fact that Canada is further north.

The history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an English explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Orient. He did not succeed but he did establish a settlement in Northern America. In the year 1578, he held a formal ceremony, in what is now called Newfoundland, to give thanks for surviving the long journey. This is considered the first Canadian Thanksgiving. Other settlers arrived and continued these ceremonies. He was later knighted and had an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean in northern Canada named after him - Frobisher Bay.

At the same time, French settlers, having crossed the ocean and arrived in Canada with explorer Samuel de Champlain, also held huge feasts of thanks. They even formed 'The Order of Good Cheer' and gladly shared their food with their Indian neighbours.

After the Seven Year's War ended in 1763, the citizens of Halifax held a special day of Thanksgiving.

www.twilightbridge.com...

Thanksgiving and Remembrance Day

The first Thanksgiving Day in Canada after Confederation was observed on April 15, 1872, to celebrate the recovery of The Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) from a serious illness.

No record is found of a Thanksgiving Day between 1872 and 1879.

From 1879 to 1898, both inclusive, it was observed on a Thursday in November. In 1899, it was fixed on a Thursday in October, where it stayed until 1907, with the exception of 1901 and 1904 when the date was fixed on a Thursday in November.

From 1908 to 1921, it was observed on a Monday in October, the exact date being appointed by proclamation.

From 1921 to 1930, the Armistice Day Act provided that Thanksgiving would be observed on Armistice Day, which was fixed by statute on the Monday of the week in which November 11 fell.

In 1931, Parliament adopted an Act to amend the Armistice Day Act, providing that the day should be observed on November 11 and that the day should be known as "Remembrance Day".

Accordingly, the old practice was resumed of fixing Thanksgiving Day by proclamation, and it has been since 1931 on the second Monday of October, with the exception of 1935 where, after Thanksgiving Day had been fixed on October 14, it was decided to hold the general election on that date. A new proclamation was issued deferring the observance to October 24, a Thursday. This resulted in a great deal of controversy and the practice of observance on a Thursday was not pursued in future years.

From 1936 to 1956, inclusive, a proclamation was issued yearly to appoint the second Monday of October as Thanksgiving Day. In 1957, a proclamation was issued fixing permanently Thanksgiving Day on that day, thus eliminating the necessity of an annual proclamation.

Prior to 1867, there had been proclamations issued in Canada, the first one recorded being for 1799. The following is a list of the dates of the proclamations and observance of General Thanksgiving Days, and reasons therefore.

Proclamation and Observance of General Thanksgiving Days and reasons therefore.

www.pch.gc.ca...

You learn something every day...................

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Yea anxietydisorder.

Way kewl.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I'm with you there Soficrow!

The introduction of personalized communication into the ATS community has opened a new realm of interaction with virtually limitless possibilities.

You can type for hours what you can say in minutes!

The vocal inflection, insuation, and personality can often times be lost in text. The ability to convey one’s thoughts through spoken word, audio, and video* provides the "poster" a means by which to convey their true thoughts, meanings, and message to the "viewer".

Personally, when more become aquainted/accustomed to the ease of Podcasting, I see ATS requiring EXTREME amounts of bandwidth!!

When the Podcast becomes the "norm" on ATS watch out! A whole NEW realm of communication.

SO . . .
I think we're gonna need a bit more bandwidth!?
(i.e.
Scotty we need more power!
Scotty: Captain, I'm givin' er' all she's got!
)

*let’s hope

As for the “beer” icon:
< : cheers: >

minus the < & >

Cheers!

[edit on 10/10/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Happy turkey day, y'all. Masqua, me and Intrepid will ahev to split a bottle of Screech with you someday, eh?

DE

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I'm born and bred in Canada and I didn't know this stuff. If I remember right, we learned about Pilgrams in school.

History and Origin of Canadian Thanksgiving

In Canada Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October. Unlike the American tradition of remembering Pilgrims and settling in the New World, Canadians give thanks for a successful harvest. The harvest season falls earlier in Canada compared to the United States due to the simple fact that Canada is further north.

Bull-hockey. The American Thanksgiving has always been for giving thanks for a bountiful harvest.

www.holidays.net...

www.twilightbridge.com...

Thanksgiving and Remembrance Day

The first Thanksgiving Day in Canada after Confederation was observed on April 15, 1872, to celebrate the recovery of The Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) from a serious illness.

No record is found of a Thanksgiving Day between 1872 and 1879.

So, while we're celebrating the thanks of a bountiful harvest, you guys are celebrating that the Prince of Wales recovered from a boil or something?

Okie-dokie...

[edit on 10-10-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Happy turkey day, y'all. Masqua, me and Intrepid will ahev to split a bottle of Screech with you someday, eh?

DE

Hmmm. Better share it around. Seems to be needed....

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Unlike the American tradition of remembering Pilgrims and settling in the New World

Hmm, makes us seem so lame when they put it that way

American Thanksgivning Day is about just that, giving thanks. It's not called Remember The Pilgrims Day.

With the exception of kindergarten....I don't EVER remember remembering pilgrims. It has ALWAYS been about giving thanks for anything and everything.

With that said....happy Canadian T-day
...again

[edit on 10/10/2005 by SportyMB]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join