It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
If the catholics or anyone doesn't believe the Bible from cover to cover, they are wrong; just because humans don't understand all it says doesn't mean it isn't true - does a human know more than God who inspired men to write His Word?? God has all knowledge and puny man only has a pinhead of knowledge.
I stand by Rev. 22:18 & 19 which says: "And I solemnly declare to everyone who reads this book. If anyone adds anything to what is written here, God shall add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone subtracts any part of these prophecies, God shall take away his share in the Tree of Life and in the Holy City just described."

In other words, they will not be going to heaven. I can't agree with anyone who thinks they know more than God. The Bible says in the last days many will be led astray, even the very elect if they listen to people like this
There are two things in this world that are eternal - people's souls and God's Word.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanDaughter
If the catholics or anyone doesn't believe the Bible from cover to cover, they are wrong; just because humans don't understand all it says doesn't mean it isn't true - does a human know more than God who inspired men to write His Word?? God has all knowledge and puny man only has a pinhead of knowledge.
I stand by Rev. 22:18 & 19 which says: "And I solemnly declare to everyone who reads this book. If anyone adds anything to what is written here, God shall add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone subtracts any part of these prophecies, God shall take away his share in the Tree of Life and in the Holy City just described."

In other words, they will not be going to heaven. I can't agree with anyone who thinks they know more than God. The Bible says in the last days many will be led astray, even the very elect if they listen to people like this
There are two things in this world that are eternal - people's souls and God's Word.

You do realize the bible is not a "book", but instead is a collection of books, and that when it says that in Rev. it's only referring to the book of Rev?

And sorry, but the bible isn't "gods word". Gods word would be the word those who wrote the books heard, and to call the bible god's word is to make it a a replacement for that.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I presume everyone has read the full document as available here When you reached paragraph 14 I'm sure your reasons for objecting were assuaged as you read:

It is important to note this teaching of the Second Vatican Council that the truth of Scripture is to be found in all that is written down ‘for the sake
of our salvation’. We should not expect total accuracy from the Bible in
other, secular matters. We should not expect to find in Scripture full
scientific accuracy or complete historical precision.

For example 2 Chronicles 4:2 describes the following: "Also he made a molten sea of ten cubits from brim to brim, round in compass, and five cubits the height thereof; and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about." If this were fully scientifically accurate the circumference would be 31.4 cubits.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Supercertari

Actually, that doesn't even make sense in a literal way even for the times. A cubit has always been around the measurement of a 1 foot, 2 feet at the most.

So it would seem as though there is some other meaning behind that verse, as I don't see how anyone could have ever taken that as the correct measurement.

Perhaps it has something to do with ratios?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by One4truth
Sounds like more evidence of spiritually dead leaders trying to make excuses for their obvious erronious ...

Because the Catholic Church states the truth - that parts of the bible are myth, parts are history, parts are deeply spiritual, etc ... that makes them 'spiritually dead leaders making excuses for their errors'? :shk: No ... it' just makes them stateing the truth. The bible is a lot of things. It isn't absolute truth.

Who decides which is which please and how do they know for sure?

Common sense tells us that both Genesis can't be correct. Common sense tells us that there are no polar bears or kangaroos living on Mt. Ararat and therefore the Noahs Ark myth is not true. Common sense goes a long way.

Originally posted by B.A.C.
The "Pope" now supports Evolutionary Theory,

Not exactly. What he said was that God can use evolution to fulfill His plan.

Originally posted by One4truth
So to me, the rcc telling people that they don't need the entire bible is scary.

The Church never said that. NEVER. When you left did you join a fundamentalist church? Sounds like it.

The Catholic Church encourages reading scripture. It has three scripture readings at each Sunday Mass and two scripture readings in the weekday masses. The ENTIRE BIBLE is read aloud from the pulpit over a three year period.

If the catholics or anyone doesn't believe the Bible from cover to cover, they are wrong;

If anyone believes the bible, cover to cover, is absolute literal truth then THEY are the ones that are wrong.

The bible is full of all sorts of things. Truth, myths, history, cultural laws, deep spirituallity, stolen stories from the summarians, stolen rules (10 Commandments) from the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Psalms by David, Psalms that were stolen from Egypt and claimed to be written by David ... it's full of a lot of things.

If YOU, AmericanDaughter, believe the bible cover to cover, then you had best be practicing everything it demands. Do you cover your head in church? Do you agree that only men have authority to teach and women have to remain silent? Do you believe in birth control? The bible doesn't. Google up ONANISM sometime. God struck down a man in the old testament for 'early withdrawl and spilling of seed'. God's law is NO BIRTH CONTROL - if you believe the bible.

No cherry picking. If the bible is to be literal and to be believed as the Word of God from cover to cover - then you'd best not be using any birth control - ever.

So why aren't there polar bears and kangaroos on Mt. Ararat if the bible is true - cover to cover? If there really were a Noahs Ark then they'd HAVE to be there. They aren't there because the Noahs Ark myth was stolen from the Summerian myths.

The Catholic Church is correct about scripture.
But a lot of people here are not correct about the Catholic Church.

Comical.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I like secondary verification of the Life of Christ or Bible stories,
even if by visionaries.

"I Claudius" was quite interesting about Herod mentions and perhaps
even mentioned crucifixion of Christ.

The whole idea would probably be erased from the memory of man
by now if something important didn't happen while it was popular.

Now its hidden perhaps in the realm of perversion and quite unknown
to the rest of the world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join