It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

www.timesonline.co.uk
THE hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

The Catholic bishops of England, Wales and Scotland are warning their five million worshippers, as well as any others drawn to the study of scripture, that they should not expect “total accuracy” from the Bible.

“We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision,” they say in The Gift of Scripture.

Wow. For how many years have they conspired against their congregation that the Bible was indeed correct in all form? This makes for interesting times. Why now? Just perfect that they wait untill science can prove things are not the way they seem.

You don't just wake up one morning out of bed and have a revelation that it isn't entirely accurate. Shame on them for hundreds of years of deciet.

Mod Edit: Reduced Large Copy & Paste.

Please only post 2-3 relevant paragraphs (in quote tags) and a link, along with your thoughts. Thanks.

[edit on 5/10/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
EGAD.

Do they never tire?

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Finally. I belive that christianity is a valid and very viable way to push towards spiritual enlightentment. And if not that, then its a good tool to look at yourself, and act good towards your fellow man. It is foolish to belive in the bible as the exact work of god, and literal truth.

IMO the old testament is the jewish bible (wich contrained metaphor) that was "christianized". The bible has a very obvious political and culteral agenda (taht is less then spiritual) and I think you have to see past that.

At the same time though, I know many catholics who are truly spiritual people, and not ignorant or wrong in there belifes at all. Religion is largely a very posotive force in this world. And when its not, its usually not the religion to blame, just the men who made it.

[edit] I realise I'm being hypocritical, but hey I'm human.

[edit on 6-10-2005 by cownosecat]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Well, they're only about 2,000 years late about coming clean with that one.

Better late than never?

Now all they'll have to do is get rid of that "Jeezuzz" is "coming back" B.S. "'cos it aint gonna happen"...people will just have to get over it and start taking spiritual responsibility for themselves !

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by thirddensity
Shame on them for hundreds of years of deciet.

No deceit. It just takes longer for science to reach through
the layers of the church to the top. PJPII said that belief in
evolution, as long as you believe that God guided it, doesn't
go against Christianity. The outcry against the Catholic church
for that scientifically factual statement faith was staggering.
Now the Catholic Church restates what it has been teaching
since Vatican II, that parts of the bible are not to be taken
literally, and people still step on it saying what you did.

They are crapped on if the do, and crapped on if they don't.

And as far as Catholics 'being 2,000 years late on that one' ...

Until the 1900's ALL Christians took the entire bible literally, and
frankly most who attend church still do. For the Catholic Church to
make a public statement on this (they've been teaching it for 40
years) is actually AHEAD of many of the other Christian denominations
at this time.

[edit on 10/6/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
And as far as Catholics 'being 2,000 years late on that one' ...
Until the 1900's ALL Christians took the entire bible literally...

Origen in De principiis says that some passages of the bible have only an allegorical, not a literal meaning; Eusebius in his Chronicle treats the Garden of Eden as a parable for humanity in an unfallen condition. So I think you are mistaking some people in 19th century America for 2000 years of belief.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
ATSNN Article

Why now?

This is not a change in Church Doctrine, the Chruch hasn't been biblical literalists in a long time.

Shame on them for hundreds of years of deciet.

How is any deceit invovled???

They're not saying 'the bible is bs and you can disregard it', they're saying 'you don't need to take everything in it with a literal reading, there are allegories, parables, etc etc.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Well hey, good for them

Alittle enlightenment never hurts anybody. Now lets just make sure they get the parabels meanings correct.

"Oh and this line here, where the woman is stoned, is because god hates gays"

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Since when do 5 bishops from England, Whales and Scotland constitute the entire Catholic church?

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This summer, Arnold Swarzennegar, takes them all on.
"Whadda you doing! Taking the bible literally! You Crazy yaa yay ay ya!"
"And whos gonna stop us!?"
"Me: A one man church, ya a yy yayyaa"

The one man Church
In Theaters summer 07
Sometimes, a church only needs one

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Well, good for the Catholic Church. At least one segment of Christianity has finally relented to the real truth.

Of course now we will hear as we have been hearing lately that the RCC are not "true" Christians. That is hogwash also. Their spinoff of Christianity is just as "true" as any other.

People should quit looking for answers in a certain spot. The answers are all around. EVERYWHERE. One must open one's mind and heart to seek and understand though.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Knew that all along. I wonder how many Christians wont agree with it???

G

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud
Knew that all along. I wonder how many Christians wont agree with it???
G

I'm not sure how to raise my hand on a discussion board...

Again, this is just 5 bishops, not the entire Roman Catholic Church.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Again, this is just 5 bishops, not the entire Roman Catholic Church.

Excellent point junglejake. The official statements of the Catholic Church
come from Rome, not from 'just five bishops'. However, if we check the
Catechism, which is 'official church teaching' we find that the Catholic
church does indeed say that the entire bible is not to be take literally.
This has been the teaching of the Catholic Church since at least the
1960's and Vatican II. Also, when you (people in general, not YOU
Junglejake) purchase an authentic Catholic bible (which has the
impromture in the front) many times it gives an introduction to which
ever book you are reading and some of those introductions do indeed
say that section is not to be read 'literally'. Revelation for example.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
This is not a change in Church Doctrine, the Chruch
hasn't been biblical literalists in a long time.

Ahhhhhhh ... I remember the 'good ol' days' before
Nygdan became a mod ... I could give him applause
at least once a month (and I did).

If I still could Nygdan ... I'd give ya a vote!

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Well, I, too, don't believe the entire Bible should be taken literally, but the article doesn't say the Bishops declared there are parts not to be taken literally. They're saying that there are parts of the Bible that are inacurate, which is vastly different.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
notice how this is from a bunch of preists in England, and not from the Pope himself. I do not take it as fact or even official in any way.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater
Of course now we will hear as we have been hearing lately that the RCC are not "true" Christians. That is hogwash also. Their spinoff of Christianity is just as "true" as any other.

People should quit looking for answers in a certain spot. The answers are all around. EVERYWHERE. One must open one's mind and heart to seek and understand though.

You have voted madmanacrosswater for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The Catholic church has NEVER believed the Bible, if you want the truth.

They kept it out of the hands of the common people for centuries. That's what the Gunpowder Plot was about--King James' guys were translating the Bible into English, something that the Vatican frowned upon.

William Tyndale was burned at the stake for daring to translate the Bible. By Catholics I might add.

Now in order to look Christian, Catholics are encouraged to have Bible--but they have to have the priest "interpret" it for them.

Let me run down some Catholic teachings, and compare them with the King James Bible:

1) The Mass--supposedly the priest has the power to pull Christ down from heaven and sacrifice Him over and over again. Transubstantiation, bloodless sacrifice.

Hebrews 9:22--And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Hebrews 9:28--So Christ was ONCE offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation (emphasis mine).

Hebrews 9:12, 14--But this man, after he had offered ONE sacrifice for sins FOREVER, sat down on the right hand of God;...For by ONE OFFERING he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. (emphasis mine)

2) Worship of Mary/perpetual virginity of Mary/sinless Mary. I don't care if you call it worship, veneration, or what--all the same.

Mark 3:31-32--There came then his brethren and his mother, and, standing without, sent unto him, calling him. And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee.

Luke 1:46-47--And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. (If she was sinless, why did she need a Saviour?)

Luke 11:27-28--And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. but he said, Yea, rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

3) Idol/image veneration/worship

The Second Commandment forbids idolatry. Now in a sneaky move, the Catholic church takes out that commandment, and splits the one forbidding coveting into two parts.

Deuteronomy 5:21--Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet they neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maid-servant, his ox, or his @$$, or any thing that is thy neighbour's.

The "first" part of the "don't covet" commandment leave off at neighbor's wife. The "second" part picks up where that left off.

4) Prayers to saints

Job 15:15--Behold, he putteth no trust in his saints; yea, the heavens are not clean in his sight.

That's a few of them.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join