It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This same title is already running. I don't get it.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Thank you queenannie. Many wonder what side of the fence I sit on when it comes to "religion". The only fence I sit on is GOD's and it is quite comfortable.

Trees in the wind, a roaring creek, the sound of children playing, the song of the kattydid in August, the white light that comes from a yellow sun. All signs of the existence of GOD. Millions of other examples. The wild animal that shows no fear of me, and I no fear of it, the light in eyes, the "feel" of another's strong spirit. It can go on and on and on.

[edit on 11-10-2005 by madmanacrosswater]

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I thought that was beautifully put madman - well said.

This issue makes me question some things I have heard, about the Catholic church actually tampering with the Bible in certain areas. Wonder if that's why they feel confident in saying "don't believe this part" etc....? Makes you go hmmmmm?

edit: LOL I just realized how old this thread is... hehe
Oh well, still interesting!

[edit on 4-7-2007 by Sunalei]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
You are very good in bringing this to the forum. For them to say that it is not entirely true leads to the question "Ok, what part isn't true"? I have heard so many preachers say that if one single part of the Bible is not absolute fact, that NONE of it should be seen as fact and that they would stop teaching it. I have yet to see one walk away! As for the comments by some that there are good Catholics, of course there are! It is because they are good people...period! The truth is, they have been lied to! The truth is found in the ancient Sumerian text. There was no agenda and they knew things that science is only now rediscovering. Even meditation is considered to be "evil" by the Church. ANYTHING that leads to self-discovery is "Occult" which is in the Webster dictionary as defined as "HIDDEN". If it is really "evil" as they say it is, why hide it? How many people have based their entire lives on seeing the Bible as absolute? How many children have been molested and how many have been killed? It makes me sick!

[edit on 02/13/2007 by ForceMaster]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Amethyst

Great answer. We should not expect much from the Catholic as quite a lot of their practices cannot be justified by the Bible. Therefore, increasing doubt in the Bible can only help them.
It is strange, very strange, because can a builder, after building a house, decide that the foundation is no longer needed, so lets get rid of it? The Catholic church came about as a result of the Bible. To now say their are parts not to be taken serious cast doubt on their own existence. It is no good saying the ones which substantiate the church existence, are true and others, which condemns its practices are not to be taken as true. Any reader of the Bible will realize that Revelation carries with it a blessing or curse. Blessed is he that read and hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written (Revelation 1:3), and If any man shall add unto this book, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written n this book: And if any man shall take away from the word of this book of this prophecy, GOd shall take away his part out of the book of life... Revelation 22:18, 19.

Another thing to remember is that most of the names mentioned, Wycliffe, Martin Luther etc, saw the Catholic church and, as Ian Paisley rightly said, the Pope as the "antichrist." Some, based on the Catholic church persecution of other nations, including those who were trying to help the ordinary people to understand the Bible, see the beast with a mortal wound in the book of Revelation as the papacy. In fact, some believe that General Berthier and the Pope in Avignon and then its increasing of power and authority as a fulfillment of Revelation 13.

Given the above belief, and the claim that the Pope is the antichrist and the church is the beast of Revelation, one would expect the church to try its best to cast doubt on the Bible and especially the book of Revelation.

The church doubting creation will not change things. Both creation and Evolution require faith. It require faith in something we know nothing about. It requires faith in believing scientist claims as not many of us can say we can prove what we hear in the news and read in books as being facts. Not because it is in the book and its logical, means it is true. Our current economic crisis came as a result of the experts, after calculating and reasoning, took the changes and they certainly convinced million of people to believe them. However, the bubble burst and now we wished we have never believed them.

I am one who believes in creation because I see things that are too complicated and yet specific that makes it very difficult for it to happen by chance. Scientist can discover things, but one thing is certain, they cannot make the things they discovered. They cannot make the particles and molecules. They discover them, meaning they already exists. I will give them a second look when they move from discovery to creation. That something out of nothing.

So carry on Catholic church because you are only living out the scripture that said in the end time men will be lover of pleasures more than God. Having a form of godliness, but rejecting the power. We can make all the claim we want to but what we cannot change is that which took place. We can give all kind of reasons but we will not change a thing. When something is true yesterday, it cannot be lie today. Truth is truth.

Rev S Thomas

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasthomas
So carry on Catholic church because you are only living out the scripture that said in the end time men will be lover of pleasures more than God.

The Catholic Church states that parts of the bible are not literal. That is the truth. Remember .. the truth shall set you free. It has nothing to do with being 'lovers of pleasure more than God.' It has to to with truth.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I hope they tell us what those parts are so we can rip them out
and keep the truth.

The Bible is mostly teaching of good or bad behavior so what
are they talking about.

They sound like irreligious Illuminati stooges needing a payday.

ED: I just heard of a Jewish Mickva(?) or body immersion in water.
For purification. Sounds like Baptism to me.
The name given to a Jewish person doing it to the Christ.

from an above post:

We should not expect much from the Catholic as quite a lot of their practices cannot be justified by the Bible.

I'm a least I found that relevance before hearing the whole Church
is a shame, at least we start off right.

[edit on 3/17/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
So because the rcc says the bible is fallible, that makes them right? I take it they went to God (the author of the bible) and asked and He said " yep, just fillin up space in my book, because I hate trees."

Sounds like more evidence of spiritually dead leaders trying to make excuses for their obvious erronious traditions that directly contradict what the bible actually says.

By the way, I was raised catholic, but left when I finally realized the deadness in the church and wanted more. When I came to Christ later, by an undeniable experiance, I went back to that church and told them what the bible said about the Holy Spirit, they told me I was fooled by the devil because the church doesn't believe that way. Then they said I was demon possesed and part of the antichrist!
I now have a great relationship with God, that I never wouldve had, had I stayed in the rcc.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The common theme in all religions is LOVE. Everything else is man made bull# lol.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by One4truth

Well, seeing as how that is NOT what the Catholic Church teaches, you may have left in ignorance.

The Church teaches that parts of the Bible are literal and others are not. The Church does NOT teach that the Bible is fallible.

The Church DOES teach that the Bible is inerrant.

Eric

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
We are stuck between Mind and Hart!

Hart is the engine of your body.

Brain is the engine of your life.

We are stuck in the middle and have to decide: Hart or Mind.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by EricD

Who decides which is which please and how do they know for sure?
Thanks

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I could not remain with the Church. I broke from following the strict regimentation of the word that they deliver every Sunday. The missal from year to year is always the same with a few alternative scriptures thrown in.

My question started with why are they keeping us steered to these scriptures and away from all the others in the Bible?

Once you break from the regimentation and start to read and research on your own the discrepancies become very apparent. When you questioned you were ostracized and belittled which convinced me all the more that it was all a sham.

If they base their religion and our belief system is based on a book that they are now willing to admit is untrue; then what do they have to control the people?

God does not need a press agent.

In fact if the agents get out the way many more people will be able to see and hear God.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanDaughter
reply to post by EricD

Who decides which is which please and how do they know for sure?
Thanks

I'll check and get back to you. I would assume that it would start with theologians going back to the ECF and ratified (when necessary) by the Magisterium, but that is just an assumption.

Eric

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn
My question started with why are they keeping us steered to these scriptures and away from all the others in the Bible?

If they base their religion and our belief system is based on a book that they are now willing to admit is untrue; then what do they have to control the people?

They are not steering you away from any Scriptures. As a matter of fact, over the course of a year the entirety of the Bible is read aloud in Mass.

And again, the Church does not believe or say that the Bible is untrue. Actually, the exact opposite is true.

Eric

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
The Catholic church has NEVER believed the Bible, if you want the truth.

They kept it out of the hands of the common people for centuries. That's what the Gunpowder Plot was about--King James' guys were translating the Bible into English, something that the Vatican frowned upon.

William Tyndale was burned at the stake for daring to translate the Bible. By Catholics I might add.

Now in order to look Christian, Catholics are encouraged to have Bible--but they have to have the priest "interpret" it for them.

Let me run down some Catholic teachings, and compare them with the King James Bible:

1) The Mass--supposedly the priest has the power to pull Christ down from heaven and sacrifice Him over and over again. Transubstantiation, bloodless sacrifice.

Hebrews 9:22--And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Hebrews 9:28--So Christ was ONCE offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation (emphasis mine).

Hebrews 9:12, 14--But this man, after he had offered ONE sacrifice for sins FOREVER, sat down on the right hand of God;...For by ONE OFFERING he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. (emphasis mine)

2) Worship of Mary/perpetual virginity of Mary/sinless Mary. I don't care if you call it worship, veneration, or what--all the same.

Mark 3:31-32--There came then his brethren and his mother, and, standing without, sent unto him, calling him. And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee.

Luke 1:46-47--And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. (If she was sinless, why did she need a Saviour?)

Luke 11:27-28--And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. but he said, Yea, rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

3) Idol/image veneration/worship

The Second Commandment forbids idolatry. Now in a sneaky move, the Catholic church takes out that commandment, and splits the one forbidding coveting into two parts.

Deuteronomy 5:21--Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet they neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maid-servant, his ox, or his @$$, or any thing that is thy neighbour's.

The "first" part of the "don't covet" commandment leave off at neighbor's wife. The "second" part picks up where that left off.

4) Prayers to saints

Job 15:15--Behold, he putteth no trust in his saints; yea, the heavens are not clean in his sight.

That's a few of them.

Nicely said. They've changed the word to fit the crime.

Same as not allowing marriage and practicing Lent:
1Tm:4:3: Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by B.A.C.]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by EricD

Thanks Eric; this is very interesting.
Did you notice that they say Genesis ii,21-22 is untrue?!
Woah! I had never seen that! I wonder where they believe Eve came from?
I checked here
www.usccb.org...

to see how Genesis 2:21-22 coompared to

www.biblegateway.com...:21-22;&version=9;

and it's the same? I was glad to see it unchanged!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AmericanDaughter

The "Pope" now supports Evolutionary Theory, according to the theory Eve evolved I guess.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by EricD

So I left the rcc in ignorance and I now have a relationship with God. O.K, I'm happy with that.

Why is it that I can go to many of my rcc friends and family and try to talk to them about scripture and they have no clue that what I said was in the scripture? Most of them tell me they rely on their priest to tell scripture and are not encouraged to read it for themselves!

Now don't get me wrong, I love my rcc friends and family, I just can't stand it when they are totally relying on their priest for their spiritual growth. It goes the same with all denominations.

So to me, the rcc telling people that they don't need the entire bible is scary.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by B.A.C.

Seriously?! Pope/they believe in evoloution now!!?? I'm shocked and am going to do some research on all this. I don't think any of my catholic friends believe this way but will ask.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join