It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Be careful when you answer the phone...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2002 @ 02:42 AM
link   
www.jpost.com.../A/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1034014762663

Later in the day, Fatah gunman Muhammad Abayat, 31, was killed when a public telephone exploded in his hand, witnesses said.

Abayat was one of the terrorists who were holed up in Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity in a two- week standoff with the IDF in April. He was speaking on a telephone about 30 meters from Beit Jala Hospital when it exploded, killing him instantly, according to doctors.

posted on Oct, 14 2002 @ 06:05 AM
link   
No Shiz! Gees...reminds me of that scene in 5th Element when that dude gets blown up via telephone...hmmm...wonder if we can do that to annoying Tele-marketters

posted on Oct, 14 2002 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I just wish we could do that to email marketing spammers & popup ad makers...As far as telemarketers go, I can always hang up as soon as they start talking, then have the phone number blocked.

The problem with free-email hosts is that they often have limits on how many email addresses you can block (Hotmail has a limit of 250)...Once you've reached the limit, you're open to any *other* spammers running around the 'net (And there's probably *millions* of them).

Another bug is that companies actually exchange money to spread my email address amongst themselves...And put my address into "opt-in" lists when I've never given them permission to do so. Doesn't that constitute "Invasion of Privacy" when I've never given them permission to spam my mailbox or to make money from selling my email address to other compaines?

[Edited on 14-10-2002 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Oct, 14 2002 @ 02:50 PM
link   
my local phone company (sbc/Ameritech) has a 'privacy manager' feature that makes certain callers state their name (almost like if someone was calling you collect) before putting the call through all the way. It's a couple extra dollars a month but has been worth it. Most of the time the feature throws off their dialing systems ( I would imagine) and/or they don't bother with completing the call.

The Hotmail blocking feature is nice but their custom filters work better as more often than not spammers aren't going to use the same email address

posted on Oct, 14 2002 @ 07:58 PM
link   
i wonder how much spam the telemarketers get. lol i can see it. i just say we backtrack the number and start calling them back asking if they want to buys stuf.

posted on Oct, 14 2002 @ 07:59 PM
link   
i got it sell anti spam and anti telmarketers hardware through over the phone and through email how bout it .

posted on Oct, 14 2002 @ 10:14 PM
link   
QS, there's an idea!!

Have you ever talked to a telemarketer as long as you can...keep asking questions and just try to keep them on the line as long as you can to annoy them? Give it a try while bored. I did that once for a company that was selling basement waterproofing - about 20 minutes later I told them I didn't have a basement, they hung up on me.

Also, if you get a call from a charity and you DO want to give that charity money don't do it through the telemarketing company, they usually get a large portion of that money.

posted on Oct, 15 2002 @ 02:01 AM
link   
NOTE TO SELF: "Don't Use Public Phones"

posted on Oct, 15 2002 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilveri got it sell anti spam and anti telmarketers hardware through over the phone and through email how bout it .

Someone's thought of that already.

...I've been seeing popup ads about software that eliminates popup windows...

...And I've been getting emails about software that adds better spam-filters for your email...

...Most of these are being advertised by Microsoft...

top topics

join