It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Identify Snake And Creature.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Found this tonight while surfing Grey Beards Site. Never ever seen anything like this before. Can you help Identify snake or creature ?

Hope this was the right place to post . If not Mod please move for me.

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Harry55]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
All I know for sure is I don't want to ever get close to that snake, I feel a yellow streak runniing up my back just thinking about it.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
i cant help you because i dont know about snakes but it maybe an anaconda. somebody is hungrey

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I'm guessing thats a water buffalo of some kind. If thats true, i estimate the length of the water buffalo from nose to tail to be roughly 4 feet. If THATS true, that snake looks to be about 20+ feet long!

It also looks like the snake was perched up there and struck out downwards into the water to get the buffalo, a distance of roughly 8 to 12 feet!!

The farthest distance a snake can strike is half its body length, making it possible that the snake is close to or in excess of 24 feet long!!

However, if that is not a buffalo of some type but something smaller (say, a Tapir, or even a juvenile buffalo) with a 3 foot beginning measurement (the length of the animal) then the size of that snake would easily be within the realm of possibility - making it an anaconda from south america or python of some sort.

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Master Wu]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
To answer the question: it's both.

That's a snake with a good hold on some kind of animal. The snake is an olive python, and the animal it's got a hold of looks to be a wallaby. I'm 100% sure of it.

Olive pythons live around that kind of habitat, and they grow to be at least eight to twelve feet long. They feed on wallabies.

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Wolvaurynphamir]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I think the creature looks like a kangaroo.

The image url has "humor" in it, so I'm wondering if it is a fake...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
GreyBeards

This is the page I found the Pic on but it does not provide any more information. Thanks for the help. I was just curious. Wish there was a person for comparison but not me.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by Harry55]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Its a kangaroo often on the menu for our native snakes. That looks like a very long King brown snake.

here is another great series of shots

www.funlol.com...

[edit on 29-9-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolvaurynphamir
the animal it's got a hold of looks to be a wallaby. I'm 100% sure of it.

It's a wallaby, all right.
I've seen and shot and hit enough of them with my car to know one when I see it.
Its hind legs don't look quite big enough for a kangaroo, although it could be a juvenile. Wallabies usually stand between 2 and 4 feet tall, which makes the snake just about the right size for an Olive Python, which can grow up to 6 metres in length:

The Pilbara Olive Python grows up to six metres long and is restricted to ranges within the Pilbara Region and some islands off the coast of Western Australia. Adept swimmers, the pythons utilise water holes to hunt. Their diet includes rock wallabies, fruit bats, ducks and Spinifex pigeons.

Reference

Of course, without knowing where the picture was taken, it's hard to say for sure what species of snake it is. Mayet is right in saying it could be a large King Brown, which live just about everywhere.

Oh yeah, nice work, Wolvaurynphamir.

[edit on 29/9/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Of course, without knowing where the picture was taken, it's hard to say for sure what species of snake it is. Mayet is right in saying it could be a large King Brown, which live just about everywhere.

I'm not so sure it's a King Brown. The head is definitely a python/constrictor; the general shape and size is a key descriptor.

For comparison: Olive python head; King Brown.

The python has a somewhat spade-shaped head with a longer snout. The King Brown's head is rounded and quite a bit more blunt.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by Wolvaurynphamir]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Yeah I guess it's a wallaby...I said it was a kangaroo before I saw the other post. For an American I think kangaroo is close enough to wallaby though

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Half way down page HERE .

Look what happened to this huge snake that got caught in electric fence. This one took its last bite at anything.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by Harry55]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolvaurynphamir
To answer the question: it's both.

That's a snake with a good hold on some kind of animal. The snake is an olive python, and the animal it's got a hold of looks to be a wallaby. I'm 100% sure of it.

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Wolvaurynphamir]

That sounds about right. My cousin had one in his basement for a veterinary eagle scout project. It was abuot 15 feet long and he kept it penned up. It was pretty friendly oddly enough. Even his Crocodile would let you pet it without biting. Those things were well trained.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   
This pic apperently has been floating around for a little while now. It is an Olive Python and a Rock Wallaby. For more information do a search on any engine for "Fishing for roos in the Kimberly". Awesome pic...Snakes own

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Its a big snake eating a mammal or something. Funny, i had just seen that photo recently too.

[edit on 30-9-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Master Wu
I'm guessing thats a water buffalo of some kind. If thats true, i estimate the length of the water buffalo from nose to tail to be roughly 4 feet. If THATS true, that snake looks to be about 20+ feet long!

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Master Wu]

I doubt that is a water buffalo no snake can come close to eating a water buffalo they are massive adults ranging in weight from 1800 - 2600 lbs they have found ones with horns measuring 4.24 m (13 ft 11 in).

Body is all wrong as well shorter forelimbs and longer back legs and a long tail for body size would suggest some type of Kangroo or wallaby. More likely a wallaby since they range 20-30 lbs in weight.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
That snake has got some awesome camouflage going on. I love how it's body blends in with the rock face of the area. Nature is cool.

Besides that, all I can say is "HOLY #*&$@!!!" That snake has the thing by the FACE, and it's going to pull it all the way up that cliff? Hardcore. I personally think the proportions of the dead animal match more closely with a kangaroo than a wallaby, but I'm not Australian so I couldn't say.

Can you imagine being the guy taking the picture? Gotta give props to managing to whip the camera out in time to capture that. I would have liked to see another one of the animal in mid-air too though. I would have immediately started looking around to make sure there were no giant snakes lurking right above me too. lol. That thing's head has to be the size of a football. Wow..

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I have come to the conclusion that this is the victim in the photo.

Nature Base

Western Grey Kangaroo

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
On the subject of giant snakes I wonder if any of you guys have seen this before:
www.meta-religion.com...

Supposedly up to 50ft long, it reared up 10ft and looked as if it was going to attack the helicopter.
I bet that could get a water buffalo

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   

LOL You like snakes? Here ya go! This particular snake measures 49 Ft. and is on exibit in an Indonisian zoo.

[edit on 4-10-2005 by Toelint]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join