It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a few questions about Psychic Powers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I'm just wondering. But can anyone have Psychic abilities? Or do only a few lucky people get them?

I'd like to know how to do this kind of stuff. But I have no clue if I can even do 'em.

I apologize if anyone thinks my thread/topic is stupid/pointless.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
No problem, I knew that already.

mod edit
Please read about one-liners here

[edit on 29-9-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   

I'm just wondering. But can anyone have Psychic abilities? Or do only a few lucky people get them?

I'd like to know how to do this kind of stuff. But I have no clue if I can even do 'em.

I apologize if anyone thinks my thread/topic is stupid/pointless.

First of all, don’t apologise for asking a legitimate question, especially not here on the Paranormal forum where far more esoteric questions have been posed. If you can’t ask this kind of question here on ATS, where can you ask it?

To address the issues you raised, there are a number of schools of thought regarding the origins of paranormal abilities. These can be broadly divided into the following areas:

Paranormal Abilities Are Common To All Humans

Proponents of this view hold that what we call paranormal abilities are in fact natural abilities that all humans possess to a certain extent, but which are more developed in some than in others. We are all born with these abilities but, due to the fact that we are never taught how to use them and are, in fact discouraged from acknowledging their existence, they fall into a kind of atrophy, much as muscles will become atrophied and weak if they are never used. Like muscles, however, these abilities can be trained through repeated practice and specific exercises. With practice, any individual can learn to utilise the “paranormal” abilities that all humans share. It should be noted, however, that this theory tends to apply itself to the less direct paranormal abilities. By this I mean abilities which do not grossly alter the physical world. Abilities such as telepathy, telekinesis, remote viewing and clairvoyance would all be held to be natural, common human abilities under this theory, whereas abilities like levitation or summoning entities would not. This theory has grown in acceptance and popularity as a result of the focus on New Age spiritualities and the associated commonality of paranormal abilities amongst Humanity.

You may find the following links useful in examining this theory:

Telekinesis – A Natural Ability of the Mind

How To Develop And Use Telepathy

Paranormal Abilities Are Limited To A Small Number of Humans

This theory holds that paranormal abilities, whilst possibly representing a group of natural abilities, are possessed only by certain people and cannot be learned by everyone. Proponents of this theory sometimes embrace the argument that these abilities are genetically inherited and may be passed down through generations. This thread by mstkn28 deals with just this concept – that certain family members may be more likely to be born with and exhibit paranormal abilities as they are passed down from parents or grandparents. Because this theory holds that paranormal abilities are possessed only by certain individuals or groups of individuals, it also implies that these abilities may not be learned by just anyone. Either you have paranormal abilities or you do not. For this reason, those who hold to this theory often refer to paranormal abilities as gifts, denoting that they have been bestowed upon a small number of people only.

This site has some decent information regarding this theory and remember to check out the thread here on ATS as well for more information.

Paranormal Abilities Are Bestowed By An External Force

The final school of thought holds that paranormal abilities are far from natural – that they are a manifestation of an external force. This force has, throughout history, been considered to be both a personal force (the notion that the Devil, for example, or God, or demons, or Saints can bestow paranormal abilities on specific people) and a non-personal force (such as the Wiccan concept of magic as an energy that is an external force, but which can be harnessed by all). In ages past, the source of these powers was inevitably said to be the Devil or any one of the lesser demons. During the European witch hunts, for example, witches were said to have received any number of powers from the Devil, including the ability to fly, shapeshift and curse others. In modern times, paranormal abilities are more likely to be attributed to Angels, Spirit Guides, or through the use of a force such as magic, which is perceived as a natural force, like electricity, which can be harnessed by people with the proper training. Curiously, this theory is often paired with the theory that paranormal abilities are natural human abilities. When this occurs, the abilities are usually divided into less direct abilities (such as the ones I mentioned earlier – telepathy, telekinesis, etc) and more overt abilities such as healing the sick or invoking an angel or spirit guide to appear.

There are tons of links relating to different aspects of this theory, but here are some to get you started:

Spirit Guides

Angel Guides

I hope this has helped you, MasterDakata. Personally, I am of the belief that paranormal abilities probably are latent to a certain extent within all humans and that they can be stimulated or awoken with the right techniques, patience and lots of practice. Let me know if you have any other questions about this matter and I will be happy to help.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I've always followed this one:

Paranormal Abilities Are Common To All Humans

But, with the caveat that there are other factors that come into play, as to the degree to which one exhibits them...

1. Genetics - just as some behaviors are genetic, I feel that the degree of use of such abilities can also be genetic...or at least the predisposition to use them.

2. Use - just as with the muscle analogy, if a person uses these abilities, they tend to get more pronounced with practice, even if still minor in the grand scheme of things.

3. Belief - if one isn't conditioned to dismiss the phenomenon out of hand, they don't close themselves off to using it.

4. Traumatic Event - this is perhaps one of the most key factors. Something happens to the person that forces this under-utilized ability to come more to the forefront, often to take up the slack for another impairment (even if temporary). This is why many actual and gifted psychics usually have such a thing in common. This "awakening" is usually of a much higher power level of use than with the other factors.

Think about it...even those who profess not to believe in such things often find themselves using such abilities. How many times have you picked up the phone and knew who was on the other side before they spoke, or just "knew" there was a parking space nearby, or some other such mundane use. Just as animals sometimes know when they are being watched by a hunter, and scamper to safety, we too have that innate sense.

Science acknowledges that we have 5 senses, smell, sight, hearing, touch, taste, smell. That doesn't mean there are only 5 senses to be had. Many creatures do not have all 5. How do we know there aren't others who have more than 5? We know there are things that exist in this world that we can't detect with these 5 senses (gravity, electricity, magnetism, etc. etc.) Only by building instruments that then give us feedback via our senses (such as seeing a dial, hearing a tone, etc.) can we even detect such things. But have we built an instrument for EVERYTHING we can't detect? I seriously doubt it.....

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I agree with you on ALL points.

#4 does kick azzz. But so far I haven't enjoyed the process even though once the dust has settled you're rewarded with a quantum leap.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by Questor]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Science acknowledges that we have 5 senses, smell, sight, hearing, touch, taste, smell. That doesn't mean there are only 5 senses to be had. Many creatures do not have all 5. How do we know there aren't others who have more than 5? We know there are things that exist in this world that we can't detect with these 5 senses (gravity, electricity, magnetism, etc. etc.) Only by building instruments that then give us feedback via our senses (such as seeing a dial, hearing a tone, etc.) can we even detect such things. But have we built an instrument for EVERYTHING we can't detect? I seriously doubt it.....

An excellent point. It may also be pertinent to note that there exists a wide variety of animals with senses that operate outside the normal realm of the five senses humans are familiar with. For example, whales and dolphins utilise echo-location to "see" their surroundings. Similarly, bats employ echo-location to identify their surroundings and locate prey. Sharks can detect electrochemical fields through their skin to detect prey whilst rattlesnakes utilise infrared sensory organs to hunt during the night (Reference 1; Reference 2).

The point is that there do exist senses which, though perfectly natural, are outside the scope of direct human experience. Is it so unlikely, therefore, that humans possess senses which may not be as direct or obviously apparent as the accepted five senses and are therefore not easily observed or quantified? This may be especially true given that Humanity's five senses are often quite lacklustre in comparision with those of animals. For example, a dog's sense of smell or an eagle's sense of sight are far superior to that of a human. When it comes to directly observing and interacting with the physical world, humans seem somewhat backwards compared to many animals. Is it so unreasonable, then, to argue that humans might possess additional, albeit less well developed, senses to interact with the world and with each other? Paranormal abilities such as telepathy or telekinesis may simply be nature's way of compensating for the relatively poor senses with which we are familiar.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
4. Traumatic Event - this is perhaps one of the most key factors. Something happens to the person that forces this under-utilized ability to come more to the forefront, often to take up the slack for another impairment (even if temporary). This is why many actual and gifted psychics usually have such a thing in common. This "awakening" is usually of a much higher power level of use than with the other factors.

This notion that paranormal abilities are latent in all humans and can be somehow awakened or triggered is quite intriguing. I am reminded of the many instances of poltergeist activity, which is typically centred around a specific individual who is most often a pubescent female. Indeed, the Rhine Research Center, which seeks to examines paranormal abilities utilising scientific methods, has declared that the activities of poltergeists are actually a form of psychokinesis caused by energy emitted unknowingly by an individual. This psychokinesis represents the

outward manifestation of psychological trauma

Such manifestations often take the form of objects being moved or hurled about a room, strange noises, levitation and beds being shaken. The fact that such manifestations are often centered around emotionally or psychologically disturbed individuals lends support to your argument of paranormal abilities being triggered by traumatic events. The fact that a significant portion of these individuals are approaching or undergoing puberty suggests that there may be a correlation between physiological, psychological and emotional change and the onset and development of paranormal abilities. Puberty can be a traumatic event in and of itself. Perhaps this trauma, combined with the many changes the body undergoes during this period, promotes the awakening of paranormal abilities in certain individuals.

The question then becomes why some individuals exhibit these abilities whilst others do not, since we all undergo puberty at some stage. The answer may lie with the concept of paranormal abilities as genetic traits that are inherited by specific individuals. Conversely, the answer may be that all individuals possess and exhibit such abilities to a limited extent, but that some have a genetic predisposition for them. After all, you can be genetically predisposed to a variety of conditions, both positive and negative. If paranormal abilities do in fact constitute some form of natural human ability, it is natural to assume that some individuals will naturally be more adept at their use then others. Interestingly, I cannot recall any significant poltergeist cases from recent times. If anybody can point me in the direction of some, I would be most interested in examining their details.

top topics

join