It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning about gun shows!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
are these shows attended by ATF agents ? maybe spooks ? as a side note, what are the risks (aside from paying retail) of getting a firearm from like a large national chain store ?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T
But if you really want to take a walk on the wild side, try buying reloaded ammunition at gun shows, that's where the truly stupid live.

AHAHA...Now that is a freaking signature line if I ever saw one...W R may I use that one? It is priceless!

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I would say ...Yes..there are ATF agents at gun shows. The bigger the show the more likely they have ATF agents. I dont take this one for granted either way. No doubt some of the dealers know who the agents are at any gun show. There cannot be that many of them in budget crunching times.
This is one reason I dont particularly like to buy firearms at gun shows..mostly reloading equipment or accessorys, manuals..etc etc.
I have a couple of local dealers I prefer to buy through instead.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imperium Americana

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T
But if you really want to take a walk on the wild side, try buying reloaded ammunition at gun shows, that's where the truly stupid live.

AHAHA...Now that is a freaking signature line if I ever saw one...W R may I use that one? It is priceless!

It's all yours - enjoy

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I just attended a gun show this past weekend. I live in Midland, TX.
Hometown of George W. and Laura Bush. It was a pretty tame affair. There were only about twenty tables. Some were selling knives, beef jerky, gun books. Some were selling ammo-surplus and reloaded. I agree, I would never buy any reloads myself. Some were selling warsaw pact surplus handguns. Many bolt-action surplus rifles. However, most were selling current "sporting" rifles, scopes and shotguns: both new and second-hand. All guns coming in and going out had plastic wire ties run through the actions so that nothing could be chambered or fired easily.
ATF checks could be done quickly online. Most "venders" were known by the org running the gun show, so most could be considered reputable. There was armed security in the form of off-duty police. There was one vender who specialized in custom AR-15 receivers and barrels. There were NO full auto weapons anywhere. Anybody over 18 can own centerfire rifles/shotguns/ammo. Have to be over 21 to own any caliber ammo that can be used in a handgun and rifle (includes .22). Can purchase handguns after ATF check. Easy if your record is clean. Venders here were very careful in identifying customers. It's in their best interest. They do not want ATF on their case!

Midland only has a population of 100,000. I've been to shows in Dallas and Houston that were enormous and had so much more. Like anything else in life, the buyer is responsible for what he is purchasing. Most venders here in Midland will gladly talk your ear off if you ask them any questions. With all of the expert people around, I would feel OK in listening to what they said. I asked a salesman about a 7.5mm Schmidt-Rubin and a crowd of enthusiasts immediately gathered, all offering advice and anecdotes. Again, though, Midland is not a large show.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I just attended a gun show this past weekend. I live in Midland, TX.
Hometown of George W. and Laura Bush. It was a pretty tame affair. There were only about twenty tables. Some were selling knives, beef jerky, gun books. Some were selling ammo-surplus and reloaded. I agree, I would never buy any reloads myself. Some were selling warsaw pact surplus handguns. Many bolt-action surplus rifles. However, most were selling current "sporting" rifles, scopes and shotguns: both new and second-hand. All guns coming in and going out had plastic wire ties run through the actions so that nothing could be chambered or fired easily.
ATF checks could be done quickly online. Most "venders" were known by the org running the gun show, so most could be considered reputable. There was armed security in the form of off-duty police. There was one vender who specialized in custom AR-15 receivers and barrels. There were NO full auto weapons anywhere. Anybody over 18 can own centerfire rifles/shotguns/ammo. Have to be over 21 to own any caliber ammo that can be used in a handgun and rifle (includes .22). Can purchase handguns after ATF check. Easy if your record is clean. Venders here were very careful in identifying customers. It's in their best interest. They do not want ATF on their case!

Midland only has a population of 100,000. I've been to shows in Dallas and Houston that were enormous and had so much more. Like anything else in life, the buyer is responsible for what he is purchasing. Most venders here in Midland will gladly talk your ear off if you ask them any questions. With all of the expert people around, I would feel OK in listening to what they said. I asked a salesman about a 7.5mm Schmidt-Rubin and a crowd of enthusiasts immediately gathered, all offering advice and anecdotes. Again, though, Midland is not a large show.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
My apologies to all for the double-post.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join