It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

whats the name of this chopper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
whats the name of the helicopter in the background

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Sea king on drugs. honestly im not sure looks awesome though.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
It is the MI-17 HIP Multi-purpose helicopter.

Or atleast resembles it most, it looks like the helicopter in the top to be an upgraded MI-17.

Shattered OUT...

[edit on 26-9-2005 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
If its a MI-17 its a hugely upgraded one thats for sure look at the scalf of the guys beside it.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
To be honest guy's, i think it's fake!

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
no its the Mi 26 not the Mi 17. first the Mi 17 has 4 blades. the pic bodrul shows has 7 blades of course u cant see the 7th blade for its hidden behind it. and it aint photoshopped.

external image

Mod Edit: Image Size

[edit on 26/9/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Deltaboy is right, it's a russian Mi-26(T)

Here's another pic:
www.koorneef.net...

It's used by the UN

"Mi-26(T) is a multipurpose helicopter having no analogues over the world. Only this helicopter is able to carry loads weighting up to 20 tons in cargo cabin or on external sling. For civil and military purposes."

[edit on 9/26/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Eh, lol, I was pretty close, they were both Russian made though.

The MI-26 if I remember correctly is the world's largest multi-purpose helicopter, even bigger than the CH-53 Sea King.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
thanks deltaboy for the info

curious would this be fitted with any counter measures
against SAM's?

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
thanks deltaboy for the info

curious would this be fitted with any counter measures
against SAM's?

After what happened in Afghanistan, I'm sure Russia pays extra-special attention to SAM countermeasures these days...

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Yes I do believe the Mi-26, which is what it is, is the worlds largest operational helicopter. I think the largest helicopter ever flown was the MiL V-12 'Homer'.

Also the CH-53 is not the Sea King, the Sea King isn't even that big as its a ship bourne ASW helo, the CH-53 is the Super Stallion.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
right you are waynos. the sea king aint the ch-53. i actually said the sea king as a joke for a size referance.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
right you are waynos. the sea king aint the ch-53. i actually said the sea king as a joke for a size referance.

I was correcting shattered skies, for it was he who wrote 'CH-53 Sea King' as if it was a real helicopter, rather than an amalgalm of the names of two different ones.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
no its the Mi 26 not the Mi 17. first the Mi 17 has 4 blades. the pic bodrul shows has 7 blades of course u cant see the 7th blade for its hidden behind it. and it aint photoshopped.

external image

Mod Edit: Image Size

[edit on 26/9/2005 by Mirthful Me]

oh by the way its a 8 bladed not 7.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The CH-53D Sea King?? Alright, well the CH-53E is the Super Stallion.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH

oh by the way its a 8 bladed not 7.

thank you. should have looked more closely.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
First off the helicopter pictured in my avitar is a Sea King an SH-3H to be exact. I spent a few years in the US Navy as a mechanic and crewman on Sea Kings. The CH-53 and MH-53 types are known as the Sea Stallion.

I don't know how you would start to try to defend that Russian monster against SAMs. To be honest something that big faces more of a threat from guns than missiles. Heatseakers have a problem locking on to large helicopters because of the rotorwash diluting the heat signature. We had a dummy Stinger launcher with a live sight and could only get an intermittent lock on our Sea Kings. With that monster I'd just point and shoot.

[edit on 27-9-2005 by JIMC5499]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The Sea King and all versions of it are Sikorsky S-61's with the USAF applying designations in the 'H-3' series (ie SH-3, MH-3 etc)

The CH-53 family (from CH-53A throught to CH-53E) are Sikorsky S-65's, the S-65 is a completely different and much bigger helicopter than the S-61, therefore you will never ever get a 'CH-53 SeaKing'.

Its a bit like Saying 'B-2 Eagle' for example. Two utterly different aircraft.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
The Sea King and all versions of it are Sikorsky S-61's with the USAF applying designations in the 'H-3' series (ie SH-3, MH-3 etc)

The CH-53 family (from CH-53A throught to CH-53E) are Sikorsky S-65's, the S-65 is a completely different and much bigger helicopter than the S-61, therefore you will never ever get a 'CH-53 SeaKing'.

Its a bit like Saying 'B-2 Eagle' for example. Two utterly different aircraft.

To be a pest. The Air Force HH-3s and CH-3s were never designated as Sea Kings. Their designation was either Green Giant or Jolly Greens. The changes required by the Air Force basically created a new aircraft. The Air Force version had a ramp in the back which meant that the tail wheel became a nose wheel and the tail boom was narrowed.

Jolly Green

Ugly looking thing isn't it?

Here's a real helo.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
You are quite correct of course, but I was just trying to keep it simple for the other fella in relation to which Sikorsky designs we were talking about

top topics

join