It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion in School

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 09:15 PM
link   
As anyone that goes to school in the U.S. probably knows, it is practically illegal to show your religous views/beliefs/customs/etc., i mean besides refusing to eat a certain food due to your beliefs. I know some schools have specific clubs that are made for certain faiths, bt do you really think that is going far enough? I think kids should be able to openly display their religious beliefs because, simply, that is what they believe and are probably raised on. Some gifted and taleted schools teach their kids to speak there mind. The district of thes schools then contradicts what they are saying by make a law that says a person can not publicly display heir faith, I mean they went as far as too try and take "under God" out from our pledge because someone said id made the school sound religiously biased. I have very strong feelings towards this subject because I believe that anyone who has religious beliefs sould be able to show them. Today, if someone just stopped in a hall and started praying, he would prpobably be suspended or expelled. Please reply on what you think.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Well, that isn't totally true. I've noticed it is permissable to discuss any religion other than the religion of our nation's history. As a matter of fact, its an issue of enlightenment to learn otehr religions and accept them open-mindedly, while ridiculing and scoffing the religion that made the nation strong.
Meanwhile, we as a nation weaken. There is a connection. Go figure. Too late to repair the damage, we are beyond the point of no return.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Where did we come up with the notion that seeing another person practice their religion is "offensive"?

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 09:38 PM
link   
It was determined sometime around 1950, thereabouts, to rid the nation of God, traditional morals and ethics, and get the asocial society to lean on the government as their idol. In this manner, this nation would be more adaptable to the rest of the world, making us meld together with those who were seen as the possibly unbeatable enemy.
The mission was a success, even if the enemy was buried a few years ago.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 09:40 PM
link   
The country is reaping what it sows into its youth.
Strip away the "glue" that binds a society together, and you watch the society disintegrate.

Look out the window its happening now...

[Edited on 9-9-2003 by Netchicken]

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I know, if it wasn't for christianity those stinkin heathen Indian would still be here, blacks would still be slaves, and women would still know there place in the kitchen.(notice the sarcasm?)

Anyways, christianity isn't needed. It acts oh so holy, but let's see. Con artists, rapists, childmolestors, extortionists, what else? Oh yea, hypocrites!!!!!! Look at Japan, are they controlled by christians? NO! Look at them! One of the most technologically advanced nations in the world, some of the lowest crime rate, smartest kids, and yet they aren't run by fear of pissing off some guy who lives in the clouds that will wipe out a entire nation because three people don't believe in him!

Besides, there is a christian club at school, but not Buddist or Hindu. I see plenty of christian colleges but no Buddist or Pebble People colleges. Only ones who complain are the christians! Jews aren't complaining, Buddists aren't, and never heard of them in any class. Yet the only ones who cry over spilt milk are the christians! Hahahaha!

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I grew up an atheist when Chrisitanity was still considered to be an acceptable subject to be in the schools. I said the Lord's Prayer every day before school up until Grade 9. In music class, we sang "Jesus Loves Me" and "Hark the Herald Angles Sing". I never considered it to be a violation of my civil rights. In fact most of my fellow atheists did not consider it to be such a violation of our rights when the Ten Commandments were placed in front of the Court House. That was how we found the Court House (the building with the Ten Commandments if front of it). In our lives, there were more important issues. Now we have a bunch of people running around who have not the slightest clue of history, culture, beliefs, etc., and are too intellectually lazy to educate themselves about the relevant subjects. Indeed now one can advocate any belief in public school except for Christianity.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Japan... one of, if not the, highest suicide rates in the world. Aparently not completely well adjusted. Not trying to make a point, I just thought I would throw that out.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Let me give a living example of how this has gone entirely too far in my school days.
I've been agnostic for quite some time. Well, back in maybe 11th grade (I think it was), I went to vocational school. Well, this school was ran by this weird and extremely religious principle and her clan. Twice a week, they'd have what they called a "pep-rally" in the gym. Well, this pep-rally was mandatory for everyone in the school, even vocational students. What these "pep-rallies" consisted of was a fat guy on a piano singing religious songs while all of the kids joined in. They'd pause between songs to pray and make announcements. This was fine for a majority of the kids and their parents. But, there I was, in the middle of what I considered a very strange and uncomfortable situation. So, one day, I decided I'd had enough of that crap, and I got up and left the so called "pep-rally". The piano stopped! The principle lady (who wore Army boots and looked like a dyke) yelled, "Hey! Where do you think you're going?". And the entire school stopped and stared at me from the bleachers. I politely told her why I was leaving, and you could almost hear everyone gasp in unison.

Does this seem like something that should happen to any school kid?

I was taken to the office, my parents were called, and she threatened to suspend me for insubordination.

While I have no problem with freedom of religion, I do have a real problem when it becomes a majority rules situation! (as it so often does)
No one should be isolated or alienated in such a brutal way. The sad thing is, most of these religious people never even realize they're doing it.

What if I communicate with my god through masturbation? Is it ok if I masturbate in school? Or should I save my religious practice for the appropriate places? After all, it may seem rather silly to you, if you don't believe in it. What if almost everyone at my public school practiced my religion? Would you be ok with it then?

jagdflieger, if you're an atheist, then why does it say "PRAY FOR THE PEACE OF JERUSALEM" in your sig?
I can't say I've ever heard of an atheist who prays.

BTW, you can still pray in schools. You just can't organize prayer sessions. Anyone can pray anytime they want, silently.

[Edited on 9-9-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 09:25 AM
link   

The district of thes schools then contradicts what they are saying by make a law that says a person can not publicly display heir faith, I mean they went as far as too try and take "under God" out from our pledge because someone said id made the school sound religiously biased.

I don't mean to step on any toes, but "under god" has no place in the pledge of allegiance. Those words were not originally in the POA. They were added in 1954 by Congress, making the POA a patriotic oath and a prayer. Why fix something that's not broken? I'm certain they had their motives. This also makes me question Thomas Crowne's statement:

"It was determined sometime around 1950, thereabouts, to rid the nation of God, traditional morals and ethics, and get the asocial society to lean on the government as their idol."

In fact, "In god we trust" became an official motto for US in 1956 and wasn't printed on paper currency until 1957. Though it was used regularly prior to that time, it wasn't made official until 1956. It's rather ridiculous that a nation so diverse utilizes such a term, especially in our every day lives. I understand that this is simply my opinion. Fortunately, I'm still entitled to one.

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Again, who is the only religon whining and crying like little babies? Don't see groups of Jews getting their pitchforks and torches ready since they can't have a Barmitzfa(sorry about the spelling) in the middle of gym class. Don't see Buddists whining and crying because they can't dance around in cloaks and chant in the middle of lunch.

Well, how come it is the religon that wants us to be mindless sheep? How come the only religon that is mad they can't control the US is the one that belives everything in a book with more fairy tales then a Mother Goose book? Anyways, still funny that all these people crying because they can't break the law and get away with it.

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   
There was this TV documentary on Swedish television about schools in the U.S where Darwin is banned and the God-created-the-world-with-all-the-fossils-and-everything-already-planted-in-the-soil-version is teached instead. Is this really true??

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Some time back, I experimented with paganism and Wicca. I live in southern Baptist country, so most of the schoolkids weren't too happy about this. They would preach to me during school, physically & vocally harrass me, and at one point I was dragged (almost quite literally) to a revival at the local church.

I informed the school and the church that if they continued to allow this to happen, I would be calling my lawyer. This didn't make them any happier.

Later that year, the very same church began spreading rumors about me (that I care not to mention), that nearly resulted in me being arrested.

The funny thing is, they whined that I was violating their rights to practice their chosen religious beliefs; but if I meditate in school - anywhere...even today - it wouldn't be surprising if I got suspended....

Hence my resentment toward Christians in general.

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Yes Eyes, that is true. Not to many of them, just the ones in the bible belt(south states) that also have the teachings of earth still flat and everyone else is lieing and the devil. Ok, so not as many teach that, but a teacher was in trouble for teaching that since it was his religous beliefs and not reality.

Anyways, again, no Witches(right LOBO?) going Waaaa! I can't break the law! No Hindus going Boohoo, I wanna break the law but can't. Just the christians. No wonder they considered a joke to reasonable intellegant people.(not all, some ok, just when you get a group of them, well, not a pretty site)

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Good point Lobo. If someone decided to meditate in school, they'd be in trouble for either sleeping in class, or wasting educational time. There's a time and place for everything. When you're in school, that's a time to learn, not to practice your superstitions or relaxation techniques.

And yeah, I know all about southern baptists. I just moved from Alabama, where I lived the last 15yrs of my life. Southern baptists have to be the most condemning, closed minded sheep I've ever had the misfortune of meeting.

[Edited on 10-9-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Satyr - I'm talking about during lunch break, if a teacher "catches" me meditating, it's likely that they'd have me reprimanded for "conducting Satanic rites" on school property. But these idiots allow the Christians to pray - IN THE HALLS, during classes, no less. Nothing's done about it.

James - I'm actually no longer affiliated with the Wicca belief system. I'm now a Jedi Realist / Jediist, and am quite happy with my choice. I'm not happy, however, with the way non-Christians are treated in redneck country...

Makes Japan all the more appealing...

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Why do we need religion in schools? If you want religion, go to church.

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I agree, maynards. However, if you're going to admit one belief, you better be ready to admit them all - however strange - or there will be someone stirring up a controversy about it.

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 08:58 PM
link   
In response to FD,
For the past forever, I have activley practiced, particiated in, and portrayed my religion (Christianity) in school. While many laughed at me as I prayed (for I do often pray aloud) and I was sent to the office a few times, yet, I always debated my way out of detention, suspension, etc...

To take away one's right to pray, you mus take away their right to speak...
- Tassadar

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Praying out loud in the presence of others, who may or may not share your religious views, is not only rude, it's arrogant! You're also disturbing other students who may also be trying to pray silently, or just study.
What if I was a satanist, and I decided to pray out loud right beside you? There's absolutely no reason you can't pray silently, unless you're just trying to be a troublemaker.
Give me freaking break!

BTW, you're also not allowed to sing in the middle of a class. Why?

1) It's distracting
2) It's rude
3) Not everyone may like your song

Yet, you don't see people raising hell about that, do you? I swear! Your logic is so one way, it's not even logic.

[Edited on 10-9-2003 by Satyr]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join