It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Democracy fall in the U.S.? If it does...what's next?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I've read enough posts about President Bush being everything short of a total dictator. Yes, he has made some dramatic legislation that have eroded rights and personal privacy in the name of the War on Terrorism and many people have implied that the U.S. is on the road towards a dictatorship. Are we really?

What do you envision? Will Democracy fall in the U.S.? Who or what will pick up the pieces and run the remains of the United States (sic)?

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
hey,
i think eventually democracy will fall or transform into something else. if you think about it in a historical sense, we have a very young nation. and with all great nations with a few exceptions i suppose, their political systems did eventually collapse or they eventually adopted a new philosophy. Do i think this will happen right away? no not really. but then again if you asked people of different civilizations through out history i suppose a very few of them would have seen it coming either. Our country if anything will probably end up shifting political philosophies in the near future but pretty much along the same lines as it always has :conservative Vs. liberal. we seem to always swing back in forth between those two ideologies. we could however, see them shifting to more extreem forms of themselves, like a lot of people fear is happening now with Bush as you mentioned. i personally liked him way better than kerry but that is a whole other subject

But thats just my point of view. and i must admit ive only been around on this planet for a short time. (it'll be 20 years in october). So i suppose my experience is limited. but there is my 2 cents

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I've read enough posts about President Bush being everything short of a total dictator. Yes, he has made some dramatic legislation that have eroded rights and personal privacy in the name of the War on Terrorism and many people have implied that the U.S. is on the road towards a dictatorship. Are we really?

What do you envision? Will Democracy fall in the U.S.? Who or what will pick up the pieces and run the remains of the United States (sic)?

This is ATS what do you expect.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I think democracy will fail...in a very sneaky sorta way. Slowly rights and democracy are being taken away as we type...little by little and done in such a manner that all but a few, are really noticing it. In the end, it will depend on what the people will stand for. If people just roll over and submit, then, well....
Nothing stands forever, nothing and nothing stays at the top forever either. In time, yes democracy will fail, or as Digital Girl says, morph into something different...In actuality we have never had "true" democracy to start with. My opinion

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Come one guys, the only thing that can disrupt democracy in the united states is amendment to the Constitution (last one was in 1992). After bush is out of office all this "Oh! no bush is a dictator" will stop and it will be business as usual. The Democrats will most likely win the next election by a land slide seeing bush's approval rating is the lowest its ever been and will most likely remain that way.

They can't just secretly take away your rights any time there is an amendment its a big deal, and there is no way you would not know about it.

Don't hit me with that patriot act crap either it expires next month (I think) and there hasn't been a terrorist attack in the united states yet while it was active.

I can't wait until the liberal democratic president is in office. Then it will be my turn to sit back and rant how bad the democratic president is screwing up and man I am going to love it.

[edit on 20-9-2005 by iksmodnad]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
My question to to the origional statement. "Will Democracy Fall in the U.S.?"

Article IV Section 4 of the US Consitution

"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence."

Decomcracy can not fall in the US as it is actually a Republic.

But I can see the country going down the tubes as there is a misconception out there that people are deserving their "share" of the governments money for what ever the reason.

Alexander Fraser Tytler, a Scottish Professor said it best in 1776.

(Scottish professor of history at Edinburgh University, a.k.a. Lord Woodhouselee, author of The Decline and Fall of the Athenian Republic (1776))

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. [Tytler describes the life cycle of civilization as from Bondage to Spiritual Faith to Great Courage to Liberty to Abundance to Selfishness to Complacency to Apathy to Dependency and back into Bondage.] "

If Democracy Falls in the US it wil be because the People insist that the Government gives them benefits on the back of others. This is my opinion mind you.. but I feel that its fairly accurate.

I agree that when a Democratic President is elected.. we will see a large ammount of bitching. about how things are.. just like when Clinton was in Office.. Now Bush is the target.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I suppose you can say that democracy fell in the U.S. 230 or so years ago when they ratified the constitution and created this countries government in the form of a republic.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skibum
I suppose you can say that democracy fell in the U.S. 230 or so years ago when they ratified the constitution and created this countries government in the form of a republic.

very good point.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   

If Democracy Falls in the US it wil be because the People insist that the Government gives them benefits on the back of others.

Exactly. Both sides are equally guilty. Whats worse is they now conspire together by exchanging favors" you vote for my bill I'll vote for yours".

I suppose things really started going downhill as the Federal Government began spreading into the powers reserved for the individual states.

The state you live in is supposed to have far more influence in your life than the federal government.

[edit on 20/9/05 by Skibum]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skibum

If Democracy Falls in the US it wil be because the People insist that the Government gives them benefits on the back of others.

Exactly. Both sides are equally guilty. Whats worse is they now conspire together by exchanging favors" you vote for my bill I'll vote for yours".

I suppose things really started going downhill as the Federal Government began spreading into the powers reserved for the individual states.

The state you live in is supposed to have far more influence in your life than the federal government.

[edit on 20/9/05 by Skibum]

try telling that to the citizens of new Orleans, I bet they would say the federal government needs more of an impact than the state after their ordeal.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
will george bush become a dictator? probally....wait....most likely not. people are talking how bad things are "OMG the NWO is comming to power with bush." so on and so forth. nothing has happened...nothing will happen. paranoid is no way to go through life people...sure hes a bad president...but a dictator? gimme a break.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
will george bush become a dictator? probally....wait....most likely not. people are talking how bad things are "OMG the NWO is comming to power with bush." so on and so forth. nothing has happened...nothing will happen. paranoid is no way to go through life people...sure hes a bad president...but a dictator? gimme a break.

Gee.. it is amazing that the VERY same thing was said of Clinton by many.. but in the end he was not a dictator.. although sometimes i wondered by his attitude towards his distractors.

I can not wait for the next election.. its going to be a DOOZEY!!!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by iksmodnad

Don't hit me with that patriot act crap either it expires next month (I think) and there hasn't been a terrorist attack in the united states yet while it was active.

[edit on 20-9-2005 by iksmodnad]

I don't think it's going to expire. There was a vote--anyone have more details on this?

Now if it's a given that the US government was complicit in the attacks--or even orchestrated them--they can just not cause any more attacks to happen in order to justify the Patriot Act (actually Treason Act). Problem-reaction-solution. Whether they're complicit or not, there is NEVER any good reason to erode your rights!

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
As far as I have read with world history there really was never a republic that has lasted longer than 300 years. (If someone can correct me on this I would appreciate it) We are quickly approaching our 300 year mark which will be about 40 years from now.

I am by far not Christian or Catholic and I do not want this to turn into a Religious debate, but I have read and studied the book of Revelations and so far a lot of it is coming into reality.

But you all can call me crazy, I will understand...............lol

top topics

join