It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think the religion still have a meaning ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This is a great philosophical question :
This is my point of view :

I dont think religion still have a meaning :
There are too much hypocrits who think they just take the look of religious, even if they dont respect any religion ideas like peace, justice, love...
Hypocrysy will kill religions, certainly...

And anyway, we are evolved enought to live without religion, no ?

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Well, someone who doesn't follow a religion will surely agree with you, no doubt.

But you can't expect someone who truly believes in God to say "I can live without you now" to God. Any religious person, such as myself, has a meaning in religion, and so the answer is a definate yes.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 07:38 PM
link   
People naturally want to follow their own rules they set for themselves. And do whatever they feel they like to do. It is a hard life committing yourself to something more then yourself.

You don't have to follow a pre-existing religion. Religion is just a guideline that you put for yourself that you will not break. It is the belief in right and wrong.

[Edited on 8-9-2003 by TheManWithThePlan]

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Man's law is fairly comprehensive enough to discourage much of the "evil" of humanity. Morality, while still governed by law to a degree, is the only thing man's law is lacking to organized religion.

It is of my opinion that anybody can live without a religion and behave in accordance with man's law just fine. Personal morality is up to the individual. There is no reason for religion in societies that have a government that adheres to what humans would consider right and wrong.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 01:20 AM
link   
It never did have a meaning. The people who wrote the bible didn't even understand it. Why does anyone claim to?
It was a very poor attempt to explain how we came into existence, IMO.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Religion, should now, more than ever have a profound impact on life. I believe deep down in my soul that the endtimes are upon us. don't sit and laugh, or call me one of those Jack Van Impe freaks. I honestly think that if there is anymore strife in the middle east, the EVENT foretold of in the bible. I capitalize that word because if it happens it will be the biggest EVENT in the history of mankind. period. Israel will be attacked, God will intervene, and see that no harm will be done to it, and then, the antichrist will appear in global politics. The entire book of revelation will be set into motion in a matter of days...It's scary to think about. That's about it, I guess. Peace.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Satyr underestimates the esoteric nature of humanity. I understand if you are a cynical teen (been there) but people will always look to the sky and try and explain their existance. That is plain human nature.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Trying is fine, but to be convinced that you have it figured out is just pure naivety.
Thinking you have the answers also prevents you from looking for any more answers. It's a learning deterrent.

God is going to protect Israel? Why would he start now?
They've been under terrorist attack for ages now. He didn't seem to mind the bombs going off there, did he? Oh, you think he has a soft spot just for the land, not for the people? That's rather peculiar for a god to have a special piece of land set aside, isn't it?

[Edited on 8-9-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 01:48 AM
link   
You are ruling out possibilities. Scientists, Historians, and Archaeologists alike find more proof of a Pre-Historic golden age daily. By ruling out the POSSIBILITY of religion, you limit yourself in mental growth. As for your explanation that you don't have to look for anymore answers, that is a reason why many people give in to structured religious doctrine, but that is why some people expand their spirituality in pursuit of what they feel. Cynicism can also be a deterrent.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Religion has meaning for those who find meaning in religion. It's about forming connections, with your community, your family and with God. It�s about finding greater meaning in ordinary things.

If hypocrisy in religion bothers you, then practice your religion without hypocrisy. There always has been and always will be those who cloak themselves in religion and then do things that are contrary and evil, but your religious growth is about you, not them.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Sure it can. But in this instance, that's not the case. Religion is a dead end. There hasn't been one single, solid advancement in religion in about 2000 years. All other studies have advanced in one way or another. That should tell you something.
Name one other major study that has not had progress in leaps and bounds throughout history.

[Edited on 8-9-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Religion still has meaning, but it's been buried under too much "organization" & the meaning no longer reaches the masses of believers. For example, how many times has the Bible been rewritten, reinterpreted, edited through the centuries? The KJV, for a notable example, was actually commissioned by King James to justify his rule, not to be a definitive attempt at scholarly accuracy.

How many priests that regularly tend to their congregations actually believe that what they've been taught in parochial school to earn their priesthood is the same thing that the scholars learn? Either their schooling is accurate & they're taught to lie to the congregation, or the priests themselves were lied to during their training...Are there really any other possible reasons for the discrepencies between the scholars' learning & the Word as it's taught to the public?

And how about the hypocrites themselves that get caught doing nasty things while "serving" the Church, such as the cases of sexual abuse & such?

All in all, I still find a lot of meaning in Religion...Just no meaning in the *organizing* of Religion. The trick is to study the religion on your own & not depend on learning anything useful from anyone tied in with the "organization".

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Satyr, Religion is a tradition, not a study.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 03:33 AM
link   
It's not only a tradition. It's a superstition.
There are many who consider it a study. What do you think they do in church at every meeting? They study the bible! They come up with their interpretation of what it means and teach everyone who attends. It is indeed a study, to most.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Most religions are a tool used by people who want to control.
If the biblical prophecies come true it's because somebody wants them to come true so they can control.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Religion is no longer relevant in todays world. As far as I can see all religion has done is create wars and give some people false hope of an afterlife. People who are enlightened can see passed this and once everyone else does we can evolve.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 08:17 AM
link   
i think the only meaning religion has is the world leaders can keep people in line because as much as it may suck here why not just wait till the afterlife, it'll be great lmao, so then ppl dun wanna try n change the # thats happening

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I'm please to see you back DStroyer, it's a while, no ?

Satyr, I dont think you are right because the bible have an historical value true. And some verses of the bible can have a so deep interpretation that some of them are more wisdom (correct), even than science...
Like in the bagavadgita and in oher religious books there are an incredible knowledge in the bible, comming from the nights of age.

The bible have a great historical value because it's the older book we have. Think that the bible tales started via the voice tradition when men was still "cavemen". That's why the Bible give so much importance to the verb, and the voice.

Yes MD, you understood what I meant, I didn't asked if God still exist. I'm not "Nietzschian", I dont think God is dead, even if sometimes I say that religions kills GOD.

Religion is not a superstition, because the idea of an ALMIGHTY GOD is not a supersition...

We are intelligent creatures, there are most chances we had been created by another intelligent lifeform.
The creation is intelligent, and I dont think it had been made by "accident"

Some people call it Aliens, some say it's GOD, I call it the universe intelligence

Actually, there are many criminals, terrorists, dictator and oppressor who take religion as a pretext to make the blood flow. And since middle age, it's true, religion was a way of controlling the peoples and letting them live in ignorance and submission.

I'm not like satan a rebel angel, rebel to the God law. I'm like in the R.E.M song, "loosing my religion" when I see how some peoples (Muslims, Christians, Jews...) act. And almost when I watch the sect and other extremists movement, who pretend to follow the path and the will of God. Nobody know the will of God... Maybe he want us to quit the religious carcan (the religious armor) to live in freedom.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS
Satyr, I dont think you are right because the bible have an historical value true. And some verses of the bible can have a so deep interpretation that some of them are more wisdom (correct), even than science...

Examples? Name a few. Where's the documented science in the bible? I'd love to see it. It's not "deep", it's just vague. There's a difference.

The bible have a great historical value because it's the older book we have. Think that the bible tales started via the voice tradition when men was still "cavemen". That's why the Bible give so much importance to the verb, and the voice.

Exactly! We all know that people were alot smarter back then, right? Sure! They believed in magic, and killed people just for being different! Much of history is only valuable as a deterrent not to make the same mistakes again.

Religion is not a superstition, because the idea of an ALMIGHTY GOD is not a supersition...

In your opinion.

We are intelligent creatures, there are most chances we had been created by another intelligent lifeform. The creation is intelligent, and I dont think it had been made by "accident"

Again, only your opinion, and nothing but a guess.

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by goregrinder
You are ruling out possibilities. Scientists, Historians, and Archaeologists alike find more proof of a Pre-Historic golden age daily. By ruling out the POSSIBILITY of religion, you limit yourself in mental growth. As for your explanation that you don't have to look for anymore answers, that is a reason why many people give in to structured religious doctrine, but that is why some people expand their spirituality in pursuit of what they feel. Cynicism can also be a deterrent.

I've actually said this before. Noone can change anything, so you may as well be complacent with being in the semi-know.

If The Conspiracy is in motion, there is nothing that anyone not involved can do.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join