It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raise Taxes to Rebuild NO? Or Cut Defense Budget?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
With over 200 years as a country, the USA has had "other" disasters. lets just name a few...

1 new madrid fault earthquake
2 San Fransico fire
3 Chicago Fire
3 hurricane Camile
4 hurricane Andrew
5 upteen Blizzards
6 thousands of tornado's
7 Alaska Earthquake
8 ect...ect..

my point is Why has'nt the Government needed the military to be the first responders in our Long past...First reason is its not contitutional for the military to govern civilian affairs. Its allways been the civilian government both local, state and Federal, and private entities.

Katrina was a failure, because our glorious leaders put people in positions of authority based on there morale Values, not on there expertise...its a formula for disaster, and guess what thats what we Got. Now these same people what to yet again go against precident. Any reason to turn us into a police state...IMHO

So I do not agree that all of a sudden we need our military involved in first response, unless called on by local and state governments, the way it has allway been. The military is for defending this country from forien invaders, not policing Americas streets. that is the role of local and state istitutions

Patton Rocked BTW

WAKE UP AMERICA

WE need to spend more money right here at home, rather than makin Iraqies have universal healthcare, and $0.05 a gallon gas, and fattening up hallaburton bank role ..

[edit on 18-9-2005 by LDragonFire]

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   

my point is Why has'nt the Government needed the military to be the first responders in our Long past...First reason is its not contitutional for the military to govern civilian affairs. Its allways been the civilian government both local, state and Federal, and private entities.

Why don’t you list the death count and the time it took to rescue and evacuate people out of those disasters? Then maybe you would see why the military is needed.

Local officials were overwhelmed and not prepared to cope with a city of 1.4 million people being destroyed over night. The Military is, they deal with large scale catastrophes and planning on a daily basis, and they have more assets and manpower than the local officials, hence they are the best for the job.

cjf

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
My point was rewarding ignorance begats more of it, so no we don't rebuild a city there.
Etc...

I understand the point and well taken...

But where does one draw the line for natural disasters (earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, volcanos)...all have disasterous effects overtime.

Never rebuild in Fla, San Fran, LA, Galveston, etc?....the inhabitants of the US would all eventually live in the mountians (and probably not in the US).

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cjf
But where does one draw the line for natural disasters (earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, volcanos)...all have disasterous effects overtime.

Well it would start by not insuring dwellings in areas prone to disasters and as we enter this era of climate change I would say the Fed and industry has some serious thinking to do in regards to what regions are safe.

As for my opnion, any atlantic coastal system that is with in 10 miles of the coastline and/ or less than 10 feet above sea level would be a minimum I would consider to build on, and since I tend to err on the side of caution a median figure would be double of that.

A thinktank and climatologists need to be consulted if they want to get some damage control underway before another hurricane strikes the US like Katrina did.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
If it was up to me, I'd raise taxes long enough to rebuild and then cut it back to where it was.

Yes, the rest of the nation shoud be involved. Why not? If it were anywhere else, we'd have to do the same for them.

Cutting DOD spending is not an option here. Especially when we're in need for more troops and more sophisticated weaponry.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
What about funding the rebuilding of New Orleans through a lottery? By appealing to people's sense of greed instead of charity, I'm certain that a substantial amount of money could be raised to help fund the N.O. rebuilding effort. This way, taxes would not have to be raised -- at least not substantially-- and the D.O.D. budget would not have to be slashed.

If you make the prize great enough, then, as the Superball and other lotteries have demonstrated, people have spent billions....Billions that could be earmarked for N.O. demolition and reconstruction.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
You all still think its ok to spend 400 Billion in Iraq and Afganistan?

I think its time the USA supports the USA, and stop spending so much money in other countrys.

If the government does'nt raise taxes for the rebuilding, they are going to cut Education more and cut social programs more, cut hiway/bridge construction....you all think this is ok????

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Actually even the "Conservative Republicans" in the senate are wondering what else is out there to cut into, because the government already did that to support the war.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I have ZERO intention of accepting a tax increase to rebuild Katrina damage.

Hey, this is what insurance companys are for, I pay plenty of tax already and can barely support my own family, now I am responsible to rebuild an area 1500 miles away while the insurance companys are off the hook because they dont conver flood damage? No way.

As much as I feel sorry for those people, they need to be held a little accountable for their choice of residence as well. Living beneath the sea level RIGHT NEXT to the ocean is like owning a double wide in tornado ally, you just dont do it.

I sent my donation, and I pay my taxes. But try to FORCE me to rebuild that area and I will fight back.

[edit on 19-9-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Skippy you wouldn't even accept a temporary tax increase to help pay for the rebuilding of NO?
By the way, we’re going to have to borrow most of the money for NO anyway, Bush wont be like his father and go against his promise on taxes.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
By the way, we’re going to have to borrow most of the money for NO anyway, Bush wont be like his father and go against his promise on taxes.

If Bush senior had half the brains of his father we will no be in such a mess as we are now in our country.

Bush junior will bankrupt the nation and then will sail to bluer seas because he doesn't have to work the citizens with lies to gain another 4 years.

Or he may ask God for help and then ask Americans for donations.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I signed a petetion at www.chuckmuth.com...

to let congress know where they can cut their fat to help pay for Kirtrina.

How this started from Chuck Muth BrushFire alert sent in my mail box today:

Citizen Outreach has been pushing for Congress to cut spending in other non-essential areas in order to help offset the massive cost for Hurricane Katrina relief almost since Day One. Particularly by repealing all the "pork" which was larded up into the recently-passed highway transportation bill....

RSC Chairman Pence announced this weekend the launch of "Operation Offset," a project designed to set priorities and offset Katrina relief costs with budget cuts elsewhere. And at the Chairman's request, over 300 News & Views readers have submitted specific offset suggestions to the Republican Study Committee via an online Brushfire Alert petition:

There is more than enough room to give you ideas and suggestions for pork and otherwise.

The pork that is proposed to be repealed is (because they want specifics):

* $230 million for the infamous "Bridge To Nowhere" in Alaska which will service an island town of just 50 people
* $4 million for bike paths and park space in Calexico, California
* $4 million for sidewalk improvements in Clarkson, Georgia
* $3 million for a river path in Springfield, Oregon
* $2.8 million for a bike/pedestrian path in Madison, Wisconsin
* $2.7 million for renovation of the Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio
* $2.48 million for bike/pedestrian paths in Chicago, Illinois
* $2.3 million for landscaping enhancements along the Ronald Reagan Freeway in California
* $2 million to construct an "intermodal center" at the Philadelphia Zoo in Pennsylvania
* $2 million for a parking garage in San Antonio, Texas
* $1.8 million to construct a visitor interpretive center at the Gray Fossil Site in Tennessee
* $1.2 million to install lighting/steps at the Blue Ridge Music Center in Virginia
* $640,000 to extend a bicycle trail in Aberdeen, South Dakota
* $320,000 for a new bicycle/pedestrian trail in Shelbyville, Tennessee
* $33,440 for a trolley barn in Harrison, Arkansas

I also added cutting back on the National Endowment for the arts. Right now I see that as a luxury item on the government's list. I know some of you had some good ideas also, and may know of other luxury governmental items that could be cut as well.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Cut Defense Budget? Yes, LEAVE Iraq totally.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Your Money At Work....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

some tend to want to blame this on the Iraqis, but well, is this really that unusual for the US.....where scams are set up to perform unnecessary surgical proceedures on people, and then the government and insurance companies are overcharged for the proceedure.....the spoils is then divided between the DR., the patient, and a middle man who connected them? Big Corporations like Haliburton feel free to overcharge us for their services, and well, I think you get the point. For every government program, there seems to be many ways to drain the funds and redirect them to someone's pocket.
Unless our government takes the time to account for the dollars spent, New Orleans will more than likely be another funnel into the pockets of the corrupt......
My suggesting is they find the funding by closing up these funnels, take the time to account for the money, where it has going to, and well, prosecute those who's pockets are heavily lined with taxpapyer dollars....more than likely it will also reduce the cost of rebuilding also....

ahhh....yes, thus is life in this fine CHRISTIAN nation.... NOT!!!

[edit on 20-9-2005 by dawnstar]

[edit on 20-9-2005 by dawnstar]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Bush stated that the economy was strong enough for the U.S. to handle the devastation of Katrina, and some of your members took that as axiomological? Shall I type how lough I'm laughing, or just have you use your immagination?

Luxifero

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Bush has said alot of things:

Iraq was behind 9/11
Iraq had WMD
Iraq Was going to use WMD against us
9/11 was because of our freedoms, you know the ones we are losing
His tax cuts for the rich would create millions of "Good" jobs
We are spreading Freedom worldwide
Brownie did a good job with Katrina
Chertof did a good job with Katrina
Open Borders are good
Illeagal immigrants want the jobs American citizens don't want.
Iraq invasion would pay for itself
well I think you get the point

Lets see we have a weakining dollar, record oil prices, Largest Fed Government in history, Largest trade deficit in history, Largest national debt in history, More and more Americans are losing healthcare benifits[while Iraqis have free healthcare] Highest Gas prices in history[Iraqis pay 5 cents a gallon]. And we still have a lawyer running Dept. of Homeland Security, with No disaster experience. And because of all of this we will most likely see the housing market burst...

All of that "pork" spending listed above would definitly help in the rebuilding, the insurance companies won't pay and this government won't make them pay for the rebuilding.

Allmost Everything listed in this thread Lead to Troubled times ahead. Anyone Else feels sorry for Trent Lott loosing his home?? I wonder if we can all go and sit on his porch when its all said and done..

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I say we chnge the laws and make all wages earned by illegal immigrants taxable, and none of this 7-year no tax crap. The Insurance companies should be forced to pay if they are going to do business in a zone prone to hurricane damage and floods, etc. Pulling out of iraq would also help, but i dont support cutting the defense budget.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SwearBear
Why not cut the defense budget?

The US defense budget is about 45% of the US governments annual budget ...
www.oldamericancentury.org...

LOL. No it isn't. As of September 2005, it was about 3.4% of the U.S. GNP; and it's actually going down.

Most of the current expenditure is due to the upgrade of decrepit defense systems still left over from the Cold War.

The highest it's ever been was around 5% of the GNP in the 1980's.

Sure, we are fighting wars; but whether or not we are, the troops have to get paid, Hummers need oil changes and Generals need their golf courses maintained.

Google it; or ask your economics teacher.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by crisko]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Yes I see your point about the military helping out in New Orleans, but I also remember their Failure to protect us on 9/11.

Umm, excuse me!!! how did the military fail to protect us on 9/11???
Please explain

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I agree there's some pork that could be cut from the budget, but that's always true.

I don't think really much has to be done, once the money from the insurance companies, charity and gov't starts flowing in the intense rebuilding, it'll multiply through the economy and provide much higher tax revenues...that what always happens in these cases.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join