It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raise Taxes to Rebuild NO? Or Cut Defense Budget?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I have seen some articles about the Government Raising Taxes to rebuild New Orleans. Bush has said that there will be buget cuts to certain programs to help rebuild.....the current defense budget is like 420 Billions dollars.

Where? and How should the Government pay for the rebuilding effort?

peace

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
my grandkids said that they'd be happy to repay it, just slap it onto their bill.....of course, they're not born yet, and well, it took one highpowered psychic to enable me to communicate with them...but they said all was honky dory with them!!!

really, just where are they g oing to find that much money to cut?? I doubt if it will be defense, unless, of course, Bush sees no problems in sending our kids in without guns or bullets....well...maybe it will be defense!

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Actually the news has been full of no tax hikes or new taxes to pay for the rebuild. According to news reports, the economy is strong enough to handle the costs.

U.S. President George W. Bush said he's confident the U.S. budget can handle the cost of rebuilding the Gulf Coast and ruled out raising taxes to pay for the effort.
snip
Bush also said the money for rebuilding should come from cuts in domestic spending, not by ``raising taxes.'' He said he would work with Congress ``to make sure that we manage our budget in a wise way. That is going to mean cutting other programs.''

Bush Rules Out Tax Hike to Pay for Hurricane Recovery

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Uhh... I just love the way some people think, hey, lets cut the budget of the department that was responsible for bringing order and stability to the people and city of New Orleans.

I would raise taxes any day rather than cut the DOD budget.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
well, Bush says taxes won't be raised, and well......as far as cutting defense goes, if my son's ship is any indication, well, they need to be investing in some maintenance...
what they are doing with the money they are spending would take a team of geniuses probably to figure out. but that would be a good starting point, look at each expenditure one at a time and consider just what we are getting out of it...
for alot of things, we aren't getting much..

by the way, there would have been one more ship in New Orleans if my son's wasn't in such a state!

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Yes I see your point about the military helping out in New Orleans, but I also remember their Failure to protect us on 9/11.

The money will come from somewhere, maybe we should cut another 50 million seniors from medicare.....

where will the money come from, without new taxes?

Maybe we should take some of the money from Bushes relgious groups that have recieved funds to preach abstinance..ect..ect

Money doesn't grow on trees people, where do you suppose it should come from????

peace

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Bush already has been cutting into the "Domestic Spending" since he invaded Iraq, to be able to support his war in Iraq.

Now how much more of the "Domestic Spending" he is going to cut?

Does anybody knows what domestic spendings is?

The next time you look into the despicable state of the infrastructure in this country think about "Domestic Spending"

But then again I will not be surprised if he finish selling the entire nation to private interest.

Next time you think about public schools think about privatized schools.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Obviously, the answer is to tap the World Bank and print some more money!

What's a bit of global inflation and ecconomic stability in the face of the US's dire need to dictate international policy?

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
The conventional wisdom that I've heard is that Congressional set-asides and add-ons (i.e. pork) is going to be darn hard to come by this FY. That would be a nice change.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Why not cut the defense budget?

On the top 25 list of who has the biggest defense budget, the US is #1 and the 24 remaining countries' defense budgets combined are about as big as the US defense budget.
www.oldamericancentury.org...

The US defense budget is about 45% of the US governments annual budget ...
www.oldamericancentury.org...

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
SwearBear, do you know who was responsible for evacuating and bringing stability to the people and city of NO? Do you know who is responsible for protecting the US and defending it’s interests? Let me give you a clue, DOD, does that ring any bells?

There's a reason that more money is allocated for that Department than any other.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I have not heard anything about military spending been cut, and I will not be surprised if he doesn't.

That will put Haliburton defense contracts in a precarious situation. Right?

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Hi there, perhap's next Federal U.S. elected President will have no choice but to raise taxes Big-Time. After this multi-billion dollar deficet spent on Afghanistan and Iraq, but blamed on U.S. natural disasters?

Dallas

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Isn't that the way the two political parties have it set up?

Democrats raised taxes and lower the deficit, so the Republicans can lower taxes, wag wars and get the deficit back going.

[edit on 17-9-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
How about forget rebuilding the city and make it a sea port.

It's not cost effective re-building large cities in hurricane or earthquake prone areas. So how many times are we going to rebuild cities that fall to natural disasters before we wise up and build more effectively? San Franciso, Tampa, Miami or Los Angeles may be next on the rebuild list.

Maybe when average Joe's take home pay is 10% of the gross, we shall see the light of big gov spendamania? In 1960 middle-income Americans paid less than 30 percent of their earnings in local, state, and federal taxes. Today that figure is up to 40 percent, so are your living standards any better than your parents?

Taxes and America
www.internationalbridgebuilders.org...

“It would be a hard government that should tax its people one-tenth part of their income.”
Benjamin Franklin 1758

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Like I said before, too bad the DOD couldn't or wouldn't protect us on 9/11. Your other Federal, state, or local authorities didn't either. From what i understand it was the coast guard resuing people, everyone else was on there own,

BTW General Goege S Patton Hated the Establishment, Hated Politics, and was Definitely Not a Government Yes man, He was a warrior[because he kicked Rommels butt], rebel and could not be contained by the powers that Be. He in no way could be politically correct.....it goes against his charactor.

And Hallerburton would be the most hurt by any military cuts..

Hey I have an Idea...lets leagelize pot and use the Tax to rebuild New Orleans

New Orleans existed for over 200 years as a city. Not rebuilding it would be like not rebuilding Florida Every year after the hurricane season.

We could have Bush, Pat Robertson,Frisk, and Jerry Fallwell hold a revivial and they could donate all the proceeds to the rebuilding, they can unite for Terry Shivo, lets see them come together for the Great City of NO.

Im looking for solutions, thats the purpose of this thread...our Government can run up the highest debt in our history for a war against thought[terror] into 2 differant countries....why not to build one of Americas oldest cities???

[edit on 17-9-2005 by LDragonFire]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

BTW General Goege S Patton Hated the Establishment, Hated Politics, and was Definitely Not a Government Yes man, He was a warrior[because he kicked Rommels butt], rebel and could not be contained by the powers that Be. He in no way could be politically correct.....it goes against his charactor.

George Patton was an absolute genius when it comes to being on the battle field, but I cant say the same for other matters including the political arenas. So lets keep old George out of this one.

Like I said before, too bad the DOD couldn't or wouldn't protect us on 9/11.

That's why since 2000 the DOD budget has been raised about 30 percent. Also the DOD cant stop natural disasters. After them they have to get through bureaucracy and the red tape placed on military operations inside the US before they can do anything to help.

[edit on 17-9-2005 by WestPoint23]

cjf

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
How about forget rebuilding the city and make it a sea port.

How about the state governments reject the entirety of all federal “pork” spending for 2005 for their respective states as a gesture of goodwill, good faith and general reconstruction of infrastructure to the benefit of all?(eg. Ohio US$3.5 Billion) or even states pledge a structured percentage of sales taxes (and/or state income taxes) to relief? Perhaps a permanant fund raiser in the form of 'national lottery' for disaster efforts only?

Never mind….won’t happen. Write the checks and pay later.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Problem is what republicans allways do is cut funding to things like education before they get rid of tax breaks, or raise taxes. They call it "Divert fudning". Have no concept on how to pay for a budget

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cjf
How about the state governments reject the entirety of all federal “pork” spending for 2005 for their respective states as a gesture of goodwill, good faith and general reconstruction of infrastructure to the benefit of all?

My point was rewarding ignorance begats more of it, so no we don't rebuild a city there.

Insanity defined: Doing the same thing as in rebuilding Nola in a coastal flood plain, and expecting different results.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join