It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do I play avi videos???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I have a bunch of files with an AVI extension. What is and how do I play it because they won't start!:bnghd:

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
AVI is the extention for Audio Video Interlace files.
The program to run them (short list)
AnimationShop3.Animation
ati_mfplay
avifile
Cliprex Video File
Frigate3.view
IrfanView.AVI
MPlayer
NeroMediaPlayer.File
Winamp.File
QuickTime.avi
RealPlayer.AVI.6
SlowView AVI
and more

the avi files that you have should run under one of these programs

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Oh cool! Thanks Kenshiro

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Windows Media Player is usually able to play AVIs. Sometimes, however a "codec" is required to decode the file so that itr can be played. Look around wherever it is you got the file and see if it mentions a codec (i.e. DivX) in which case you will need to download and install that codec

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
BS Player comes with a bunch of Codex, it's what I use for all my files. Except there are some and I don't know why but won't play. Called RM's, no idea why they won't play since BS Player plays everything else I got.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
RMs are designed for Real Media Player. You can get it free but there are some versions (non-official) which cut out all the unneeded stuff that comes with the default download

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
One of the easiest to use, and most reliable players out there is the VLC Player. Check it out at www.videolan.org...

I haven't come across a file it can't play yet.

Honestly the problem you're having sounds like a DivX codec. www.divx.com for the official codec. (Ususally when you try to play divx-avi, without the codec, it just plays the sound) It's pretty common.

Otherwise, if it isn't Divx, its likely XVid, where windows media player will tell you it's a bad file.

[edit on 9/19/2005 by Kalapadea]

top topics

join